Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Miguel



My neighbor "Rich" and "Miguel", early this morning (whom I encountered on my daily early morning walk)
Well folks, another autumn is upon us.  

I took the new header picture last night at work just as the sun was setting.  It is of the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal.  That canal leads out to the Broadkill River which in turns leads out to the Atlantic Ocean.  

One of my dreams was to retire "near the water."  That folks I have done.  Mission accomplished!

I don't think I could ever live in a place like Iowa, the middle of America.  Of course one very obvious reason I wouldn't live in a place like Iowa, they have folks there who think Ben Carson would be a good president.  Those people are crazy.  They'll elect any Bible quoting homophobe who is "nice."  Don't get me started.


Ben Carson and his Iowa evangelical base - they all believe that if you go to prison straight you com out gay- Oh God save us from these people - so hopped up in their self-righteous they can't even think straight

If I ever moved, and this is a distinct possibility as I get older and more limited in my ability to keep up Casa Tipton-Kelly, I would move to California.  Of course I would move with my Canadian soul-mate, and my regular readers know who that is.

A few years ago, for the first time, I needed help on the "grounds" of Casa Tipton-Kelly.  That help came in the form of Miguel S., a Mexican immigrant who formed his own landscaping business called "Nice Work Landscaping."  Miguel used to work for a HUGE local landscaper who is very expensive.  VERY EXPENSIVE.  

That landscaper does excellent work but man oh man, are they ever expensive. I said that before didn't I?  Well for one thing they have a massive overhead.  A friend of mine (a fellow gay immigrant to moved to Delaware to escape the high personal property taxes of his state, New Jersey in his case; mine was Pennsylvania)works for them.  I'm pretty sure he gets paid in the upper 60's.  A far cry from my meager $11.75 an hour at the hotel.  

Wow, I'm really going on long here. Stream of conscious writing folks.  Well . . . . anyway, I noticed a few years ago my backyard maintenance was getting away from me.  I saw Miguel working across the street for another neighbor.  I've seen him around in the neighborhood. He must be pretty good because my neighbors are very fussy but yet at the same time we do look for reasonable rates.  

I needed my arborvitae tree, which was near death from an attack from bag worms, out.  I asked Miguel how much it would cost.  He gave me a very reasonable price.  I asked him to take it out.  He did without fuss or attitude.  Attitude is usually what I get from the "white boys" who do landscaping.  I don't know what it is with those guys, are they all on drugs or do they just have a shitty attitude like they're doing you a favor?  

Miguel did such a good job I asked him for an estimate to edge all my flower beds.  Last year I had asked for a similar estimate from one of the local "white boys."  After plowing through this guy's attitude (I think he name was "Jason"), he quoted me a price of $1,200 and said it "could be more."  Uh huh.  That's what you call an open ended commitment.  Goodby Jason.  Take your high prices and lousy, disrespectful "'I'm Doing You a Favor Old Man Attitude" somewhere else.  

I asked Miguel for an estimate.  He quoted me $600.  I hired him and his crew of two.  They did an excellent job and guess what?  NO ATTITUDE! In fact, Miguel and his crew were nothing but polite and respectful, something I have difficulty in finding with the local labor force, such as it exists.  A few months ago I called for a plumber.  He put me off for several weeks.  Never called back.  I called him again, he told me "I'll call you!"  A few more weeks rolled by. I gave up and took the water recirculator back to Lowe's.  When the plumber finally called back and left a message, I didn't return his call.  Would that I could get decent service from that guy like I get from Miguel.  

In the current political campaign the most of the Republican candidates demonize immigrants, appealing to their Iowa base of (so called) "good Christians" (those full of charity and goodwill don't you know for those less fortunate than them).  All I can say is that in my experience I am thankful there are people like Miguel who are willing to do these hard jobs at a reasonable price. After all, I too was one time a lowly laborer just trying to get ahead in the world.  I'm glad some people gave me a chance instead of demonizing me. 


Donald J. Trump, leading Republican candidate for president who is more concerned with the questions being asked him at the Republican debates than he is with treating all people equally - time to get over yourself Donald

18 comments:

  1. It is so hard to find good help, for a fair price, so wonderful when you can find it, especially when the people are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Tell me about it! I was so lucky to find someone like Miguel. He does excellent work, reasonable prices and is respectful. Only one small problem I have a hard time sometimes understanding him with his accent. But when I do I picture myself trying to work in Mexico speaking Spanish. I am sure I wouldn't do as well as Miguel does with his broken English. I have a lot of respect for Miguel and workers like him who are working hard for a better life for themselves and their families.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Dr. Carson and Mr. Trump are two people I find very repellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Dr. Carson truly scares me. What even scares me more is the support he continues to have. What is the matter with those people? I like Donald but think he's way off on deporting eleven million illegal immigrants. We could do a lot worse than Donald Trump as president. As a matter of fact, we have. His name was George W. Bush.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I own a few rental properties and if work needs to be done that I cannot do I always try to utilize local small businesses and keep away from the big faceless chains. Smaller business work harder and provide the personal service that chain stores have long since given up on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spin Monkey,
      A few years ago I contacted one of our local dominant landscaper companies for a quote on removing three pampas grass plants. She came, did an "analysis" and gave me an estimate of $347 to remove those plants. I saw a young guy ("white boy") working on a neighbor's lawn. I asked him how much he would charge to remove those pampas grass plants. He said "Fifty dollars." I hired him. He and his girl field removed the plants. I gave them $100. Job done!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Speaking as an Iowan, I agree with you Ron. We do have our share of crazed bible thumpers who believe Carson, or Trump (or any of the rest of the whackos) would make a good president. I do take some solace that Iowa went for Obama twice and was third in the nation to legalize same sex marriage. I've been married to my husband since 2009 (together almost 20). We have never encountered a problem with neighbors, co-workers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happyman,
      The bible thumpers are all over, even here in liberal Delaware. They will always be with us. But I am encouraged because even in such conservative areas of the country there are reasonable people. My neighbors are very conservative but they're the best neighbors Bill and I ever had. The Mrs. told me once, "We didn't know gay people where like you and Bill." I told her "Most gay people are like us. We're not those drag queens dressed like nuns, and leather jock strapped guys marching in the annual gay pride parades." The only problem we ever encountered with neighbors was when we lived in Pennsylvania.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous picture of the canal! Just stunning! It's 'frame worthy'! I didn't think anyone could be worse than George W...but I was sooooo wrong. Carson is truly terrifying. He wants to get rid of Medicaid and Medicare, make all abortions illegal along with everything else he spouts out?! It's so scary! They're all scary! I always want politicians to be smarter than me😀 Even if I don't agree with them at least if they're smart I feel that they can make a somewhat well informed decision. But not this bunch! As my doctor told me recently "just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they're smart."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mags,
      I work right next to the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal. I've taken so many pictures in all seasons. All of them are beautiful. I am so thankful to have my job in Lewes "on the water."
      You're right about Dr. Carson, he is truly terrifying. Seriously, he scares me. Now he's attacking the media for outing him about his lie about being "offered a scholarship to West Point." Your doctor was right, "just because they're a doctor doesn't mean they're smart." Got that right!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I suspect that guys like Miguel are lacking in the sense of entitlement that thrives in "white boys", which means that they are able to cultivate gratitude instead of arrogance. People always ask me why I insist on riding a bike instead of getting a car, and I usually tell them that it is a way for me to "stay humble". I recognize that my "ego" can work against me, and that the culture would love for me, as a perceived white male, to have a big ego. No thank you! I like being grateful for what I work for, and what is offered me. People look down at guys like Miguel, not realizing that he really does know more about life than most. I am glad you found him and recognized the value of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      Not all the white males I have encountered have that entitled attitude but too many of them do. There is also a problem with drugs in this area. The "white boys" don't want to do hard work. That's a shame.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron, the more I read about your Republican campaigns the more I get the feeling that in order to be a Christian you have to be totally nuts - or is it the other way round?. Not at all fair, I know, but a forgivable impression, surely. And yet - and this is the thing - AND YET they'll have millions STILL voting for them. That is precisely what I just cannot get my head around, the most dangerous aspect of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      What gets me is that so many of these self-righteous Christians actually vote against their own interests by supporting those candidates who wear their Christianity martyrdom on their sleeves.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron - Great Banner shot. Altho you have a natural knack for that. And as far as good help. It's like anyone you come in contact with in services who is good - or great. You just want a long lasting relationship. Whether it be a dentist or gardener. I've had my experiences with folks who just do shoddy work and often charge a large amount - and folks who do very commendable work - and for a moderate price. It's just finding them. I know I sell everyone I know whom I think is good.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Thanks you. You are always so generous! I've had my share of shoddy work too. These days I depend on Angie's List to at least give me a heads up on what to expect the next time I hire someone.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I noticed that the Feedjit Live Traffic Feed disappeared from your sidebar and mine did, too. This has happened to me in the past and it always (eventually) returns. If this doesn't happen soon, I'll reinstall it.

    Sorry for the change of subject, Ron, but I just thought I'd mention it.

    I could sure use Miguel to get rid of the gigantic weeds around my property

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I see my Feedjit Live Traffic Feed is back. I've been spending so much time playing on-line Scrabble through Facebook (are you back on Facebook yet?) that I didn't even notice!
      Jon, you don't need to landscape the gigantic weeks around your property. I would keep them natural. If I didn't live in a manicured neighborhood like I do, I would go au natural (landscape that is).
      Ron

      Delete