Monday, November 23, 2015

Pat Plays With His Band in Toronto



Regular readers of this blog know that one of my very good friends is Pat. I have several very good longtime friends who (Larry, Bill B., Stuart, Angie, Bill P.) who I am very thankful for in this Thanksgiving week.  I am so fortunate to have my old friend as well as my new friends, including some really fabulous friends I have met through blogging (you all know who you are). 

So here I go again with another "Pat" posting.  I find it interesting that every time I post about Pat I get the fewest comments.  Wonder why?  But you know me, I put no pressure on my readers to comment. I write for my pleasure and yours, no need to comment but all comments are appreciated!

I don't remember if I told you all that Pat has a "hobby".  He plays in a 60's themed band called "The 45's".  I've never seen him perform in person (with his band that is) so I asked him to have someone take a video of him and his band playing during their gig this weekend at the Green Dragon restaurant in Toronto, Canada.  As it happens, his dentist and his wife were attending and they graciously agreed to take a video of Pat's band "The 45's" with Pat's iPhone.  


The Green Dragon Restaurant in Toronto, Canada

In January Pat and I will be returning to Los Angeles.  Last year when we visited we stopped by the Whiskey A Go Go.  We saw two pitiful interesting performances. This year I'm going to talk Pat into performing.  Hey, he's as good as anything we saw at the Whiskey A Go Go during our visit last year.  And folks, I can promise you that if Pat gets up on the stage at the Whiskey A Go Go, I will videotape it with my iPhone. Promise!

So here is The Video of Pat and his band "The 45's playing "Don't Throw Your Love Away" performing this past Saturday night in Toronto. Pat is the bass guitar player in the center of the video. 

Pretty darn good huh?




13 comments:

  1. Two failed attempts (so far) to play the video, Ron. Will try again later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Try again! It is worth it. Pat is quite the performer and his band is excellent.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Managed it, Ron - and, by golly, I am MOST impressed. Took me right back to 1964! (Our 'Searchers' version took it to #1 here, which I see only achieved #16 in the U.S. Perhaps there was an American version that was better known there?).
      The sound of the '45's is remarkable - and I do like their matching outfits. Do they get any remuneration from playing? They deserve something. How long has Pat been in the group? Both you and he will remember that song as well as I do. Please convey my congrats and admiration to him. :-)

      Delete
  2. An impressive and delightful performance, very reminiscent of the 60's - which I like. I wish the whole band had a chance to perform at the Whisky
    I haven't been to the Whisky since the heyday of Alice Cooper, which was a helluva long time ago.

    My computer keyboard is still messed up so - fortunately for you - I'll keep this comment brief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Pat's band is very delightful. I am looking forward to the day when I can see his band perform in person. Of course I was just kidding when I suggested that he play at the Whiskey but from what we saw the last time we were in LA, it seems like just about anybody could get up on that stage and "perform." What we saw was, in a word, AWFUL.
      I'm sorry your keyboard is till giving you problems. What kind of computer do you have?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. In answer to your question, I have an HP laptop which is only a year old. My cat Bosco sat on the keyboard. When I chased him off, he "I" key cap broke off. I'll write more about this later on my blog.

      Delete
    3. Jon,
      Couldn't you replace the HP keyboard? I don't think it would cost much. I can't imagine trying to type with one key missing. That would ruin all the fun of blogging.
      Ron

      Delete

  3. Ron,

    Never know, Whiskey may have an open mike night and I'm sure Pat could get up there and belt out something. He has a good voice and is use to performing with a group, but he could manage a solo. Hey, I've done several open mike nights so he should, too. Just be sure to pack that stylish yellow jacket!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      When we were in LA last year, they had an open mike at the Whisky. The guy who was "singing" was God Awful. Then there was a girl/guy duo which was almost as bad. A bad Sonny and Cher wanna be. Sad and pitiful. When we got back to our bed and breakfast Pat picked up a guitar that was decorating the living room and strummed out a good tune in imitation of the first guy at the open mike. Pat was way better. Pat does have a good voice. Me? Not good.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Randy in NEB3:40 AM

    Hi Ron, Oh I don't know it looks like you have quite a few comments on this post, not counting yours. Anyway I did get the video to play, Raybeard maybe it's continental thing. Ron I was just wondering, next time you talk to Pat. Ask him, what kind of Bass does he play? I worked in a music store years ago and all though I don't play, I know a little bit about instruments. Also we need more video of Pat's singing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Pat says he plays "bass" guitar. I'll ask him what kind of bass. I agree with you, we need more of Pat's singing. He actually has quite a nice singing voice.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hey Ron - the folks on your blog postings are just so nice. I always enjoy the interesting comments that are made here. Some simply so insightful. And all the encouraging comments here for the band - even tho I thought I was a little spacey looking. And Ray - we do 4 Searchers tunes. They were very big over here at the time with countless others during the British Invasion. We cover (or try to) Needles and Pins, When You Walk in the Room and Love Potion # 9.
    And Randy - my bass is an Airline. This was a popular surf looking bass from the '60's which they reissued. Learning bass I had a few before I settled on a '72 Fender Precision. But as I wasn't using it much I sold it as it, like many vintage instruments, went up in value. Thanks for all the kind comments. We are a hobby band but try to reproduce those fabulous '60s tunes as best we can. And lastly - I really wished I went to see all those incredible bands back then - but I did experience the Beatles on all their 3 trips here to Toronto. Each was a double performance at Maple Leaf Gardens which held around 18000.

    Ron - thanks for your support and always encouraging comments.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're very good! I'd definitely go see them if they were playing around here.

    ReplyDelete