Friday, November 20, 2015

Thanksgiving Week

Thanksgiving dinner - Ron Style (hummus and pita chips)


Here we are, another Thanksgiving!

Wow, where does the time go?  Weren't we just suffering through the oppressive heat and humidity of summer?  One thing I have noticed the older I get is how fast the years fly by.


Thanksgiving Dinner at Bob's 2002 - sadly several of these men have since passed away.  I am at the head of the table (as usual). 

It just does not seem that long ago that my longtime friend Bob Mc. had an annual Thanksgiving dinner at his home outside Georgetown of all of us single gay guys who didn't have a traditional family Thanksgiving.  Anywhere form sixteen to twenty-four guys (all gay, but not a requirement) attended Bob's Thanksgiving foray. Bob died last year and his partner Jim is in an assisted living facility.  No more Thanksgiving dinner for the single Gay Guys.


Old Gay Guys at the Kiddie's table at Bob's Thanksgiving


I used to do Thanksgiving dinner many years ago but Bill doesn't like turkey.  And we just don't eat that much. To us Thanksgiving is just another day. In fact, Since 2005 I've worked every Thanksgiving Day.  I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.  In fact, I don't mind working Thanksgiving Day.  I work at a hotel and the guests on Thanksgiving are invariably pleasant and kind.  However, one thing I do miss is a slice of turkey and some stuffing.  And oh, some real cranberry sauce and maybe mince meat pie.  

The last Thanksgiving dinner I did was at my longtime friend Bill B's home in 2005.


Thanksgiving at my friend Bill B's house - he took pity on me and invited me to dinner at his home - it was delicious! And oh, that is me in the yellow shirt (which I still have)

I am thankful for much.  I like Thanksgiving dinners. I like the family atmosphere, be it straight or gay.  This year again, I will miss having an invite to a Thanksgiving dinner. But do not Cry For Me Argentina feel sorry for me.  I will enjoy this Thanksgiving wherever I may be and that is because I have much to be thankful for.  


Me with my friend's cousin Ruth (who I suspect he was trying to fix me up with - we were the only singles at his dinner)





9 comments:

  1. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Ron! Anyone would be honored to have you as a dinner guest. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi,
      What a nice compliment. Thank you very much. Yes, I think I would be an excellent dinner guest. However, the grandma and grandpas that stay at the hotel during Thanksgiving need my welcoming presence (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  2. My Thanksgiving - much like yours - will be just another day ( me and the three charming cats), but I will probably cook a special meal. At least we have warm memories of past Thanksgivings. I hope you and Bill have a very pleasant day.

    Whaddaya mean, Bill doesn't like turkey???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! That's right, Bill doesn't like turkey. I do. Ironically, he loves chicken. I may still cook some stuffing and cranberry sauce (the old fashion REAL way). Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Jon.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Happy T Day, Ron. Most Brits, though they might have heard of it wouldn't have a clue as to what is being given thanks for. But I put them right by telling them it's a celebration on behalf of the one turkey which gets spared by the Pres while untold millions of his fellow-poultry go for the chop. I am right, am I not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I have lots to be thankful for but most of all for being born in America. Most thankful!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think the majority of humanity is born into countries that you and I wouldn't care to live in. I only hope that 'reincarnation' doesn't turn out to be a reality. One never knows where we might be next time round!

      Delete
  4. Someone is working that day; I may go to The Lovely Neighbor for dinner, provided my pending cold does not spoil things. I am supposed to make buns and things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Ron - this is belated. Our Thanksgiving Days, I think, are the only holidays that don't pair. But frankly, humus and pita would be an okay thanksgiving dinner for me.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete