Sunday, November 29, 2015

Philadelphia, Here We Come!

The Philly skyline view from Don's rooftop deck (Don's head is bottom right)

Only one day to go until my trip to Philadelphia!

Just to refresh your memories, I will be visiting my friend Don McK. in Philadelphia for five days next week, starting Monday.  Pat is flying down from Toronto on Tuesday to also spend time with me and visit Philly, which we both love.

My Travel Buddy, Pat

The original purpose of my trip was to spend time with Don to show him how to use his new iMac computer.  Last month I took a day trip (with the Old People's Express bus) to Philly to visit Don.  At that time I guided him in his purchase of his first Apple computer and getting hooked up to FIOS through Verizon. However, I didn't have enough time to show him how to use his new computer.  In fact I almost missed my bus coming back home here in Delaware.

Don at the Apple store in Philadelphia (Don on the right with the scarf looking overwhelmed)

Since I returned home I've talked to Don several times on FaceTime, giving him some basic instructions but nothing beats one on one instruction.  Plus I wanted to spend time in Philly, my home and workplace for many (over thirty) years.  During my conversations with Don I found that his co-op has a suite available to rent for guests.  I was gong to do one of those Air BnB things but staying in the same building with Don is better yet.  And to have Pat join me, for More Adventures of Pat and Ron.

So, next week will be one of personalized instruction from me to my longtime friend Don.  Ironically, Don is the person who introduced me to computers back in 1986.  I headed up a research project at my new job at the new bank where I got a job after being job eliminated at Mellon Bank.  My friend Don was job eliminated a few weeks after I was canned.  Don was an accountant and I certainly could use his expertise.  I hired him to work on the project with me.  When he came aboard he was appalled to see that I was keeping records with those green columnar pads.  He suggested using a computer, and the spread sheet software Lotus.  And folks, the rest is history.  

The way I WAS keeping the books at my new job before Don showed me a better way

However, since then Don never got much past the stupid and user Unfriendly Windows based computers.  It is now my turn to return the great favor my friend Don did for me.  It's all good folks. 

Life is good.

Me yesterday after doing a little yard work (very little) on a beautiful late November day in southern Delaware



8 comments:

  1. Philadelphia looks good. Enjoy it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philly is a happening city these days Hot Guys!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in California I forgot grass could be that green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fearsome beard,
      And it's thick too. In season Bill had to mow it every four or five days..
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Only Thing To Say Is Enjoy.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      We're back and we did enjoy!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Well Ron - Philadelphia has come and gone - but what a good time. What a great city. LA - here we come

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      We're just having too good a time. The only downside is that I fall behind in my blog postings.
      Ron

      Delete