Thursday, January 25, 2018
Good Memories
These days I often think about what I will leave behind. Leaving behind when I depart this earth. Yes, this is morbid me again anticipating my demise.
Yesterday I started feeling a little "off." I don't know what it is, not a cold (thank goodness).
These days, when each day when my arthritis claims a little more of my mobility.
These days when my extra beat heart slows me down from too much physical activity.
These days when I require an afternoon nap a minimum of an hour (sometimes more, much more).
Yes, these days when I'm turning into my Mother sleeping a lot and being tired most of the other times I think about what I will leave behind. Not that it would make much difference to me because I do believe than when I die I will enter the Great Void.
Yes folks, that's right. I don't believe in the Great Hereafter. Oh sure, I would like to believe that there is a Heaven. A place where I would go after this life of turmoil and strife and stress interrupted every now and then with brief periods of happiness and peace. Who wouldn't? Now don't anyone go preaching to me about "You have to have faith." Keep that "faith" to your self you evangelicals. Evangelicals which I have little time for (actually no time) since they're giving our criminal president a "Mulligan" on his past and continuing sins as long as he subscribes to their agenda. But I digress.
While I was organizing my photos this morning (a pastime I find as relaxing as my blogger friend Dr. Spo finds making Hawaiian shirts) I was listening to my Artie Shaw Pandora Internet radio station. The Glenn Miller song "Johnson Rag" was playing. That brought back so many fond memories for me. I had that original record from my Mom's old Victrola. I don't have it anymore, Bill gave the Victrola and all those old 78 rpm records away to his friend Damon (who probably put them in a landfill, knowing Damon).
What I was thinking was that a person like Glen Miller, who had so much talent and was so productive during his lifetime will live forever because of the legacy he left behind. So many of our icons in the entertainment industry (which is my main interest) and other fields like science, music, literature and medicine leave these forever legacies. I feel sad because I'm leaving nothing behind. Have I wasted my time on this earth these past 76 years?
My honest answer is that no, I haven't. I've brought happiness to some (they know who they are). I've irritated others (mainly because I wouldn't take THEIR direction in how to live my life) and for most I've made no impact at all. But one thing I have done, or haven't is more accurate. I haven't done any damage, unlike our current criminal president and his enablers. But don't worry I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole now. I only mention it because I think our current state of affairs in our country now has put me into this deep funk. I hope I live long enough to see Trump and his criminal conspiracy enablers in jail, just like the Watergate criminals.
My life hasn't been wasted. I don't have a rendition of a song like "Johnson Rag" to leave behind for people to remember me by. But what I do have is that I've been a good person and haven't harmed anyone. And I've contributed to society by working all these years, paying taxes, and sprinkling occasional kindnesses here and there. And as I said before, those who don't like me, their complaint is that I didn't do what THEY wanted me to do FOR them. Live my life the way they dictated. For that I am so proud that I didn't sell my soul, unlike all these Republican senators. Like Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson yesterday who spread the false rumor about "Secret Societies" to discredit the FBI which is doing a legitimate investigate of the criminal enterprise that is in the White House now.
Now I feel better that I've expunged these negative feelings that have been building up in me. And all the while I've been playing Glenn Miller tunes in the background while I wrote this blog. I had to turn off the news. I am so sick of seeing Trump and his constant barrage of lies.
How to end this dirge that I just composed? Time for lunch then going to work today. "When You Wish Upon a Star" is playing now. What a perfect way to end this posting. Have a great day everyone!
By the way, I did wish upon a star and my dream came true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Let Them Eat Cake!
Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...
-
First of all, fair warning this is a cryptic post. No names are mentioned in order to protect the innocent (and guilty) and to avoid em...
-
Dr. Spo finally arrived (fashionably) and met his blogger friends at Cubby's VIP suite at the hotel. Anne Marie of Philly, Ja...
-
Sergeant William Kelly, Bamberg Germany, 1951 Bill died at 12:20 AM this morning at the Delaware Hospice Center in Milford, Delaware. I w...
10 comments:
I've thought about this before.
Making life "better for some, worse for few" seems like a good legacy, honestly.
It's really saying something because, as you point out, not only are there a lot of people who damage others, but they often seem to get rewarded for hurting others. Many of those old Southern Confederates went to their graves thinking they were right.
All anybody can can do is the best they can, I guess. I hope I end up making things a little better - and that I'm around to see some people in our current government wind up in jail.
Ron, you are leaving more good behind than the average. I'm not smart or talented enough to make a difference, so I concentrate on having the smallest footprint possible so some genius after me will have something to work with. Like clean air. As you know I share your current worries and depression over events beyond my control. The other day a friend referred to my apparent unhappiness. I was kind of shocked. All I could say in my defense was that I'm actually quite happy -- my happiness was forged out of sadness.
Sometimes,when visiting family members or old friends, I hear comments about what I should be doing. When I return back home, I discover myself anew,noting all those comments about changing my life are rubbish, left best on the curb, for the trash handlers. I just don't understand why my life choices is an opportunity for someone else to have an agenda.
Nice introspective post, Ron.
I hope there is a hell, because the prospective residents are stacked up deep here on Earth!
:-)
-Andy
You got that right Andy!
Ron
Anonymous,
I never ceased to be amazed at how some people feel it is their responsibility to tell me how I should live my life. The evangelicals are the worst. Live your own life folks, and I'll take care of my life.
Ron
Mike,
I probably worry more than I should over the current state of affairs in our country where Trump and his enablers are working every day to destroy our democracy. One thing I assumed would always be a constant, our democracy and my pride in being an American and living in our country that was a beacon of hope to the world. Trump and his enablers are systematically destroying that one constant. I know this country isn't perfect but at least we could count on the good outnumbering the bad and evil. Unfortunately the rock has ben moved and now the evil has been exposed and is permeating our country. I hope we survive.
Ron
Harry,
Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I agree with you. And I also hope I'm around to see those who are enabling Trump in his efforts to destroy our democracy in jail, including those in Congress. Start with member of the Freedom Caucus. Especially Michael Flynn and Pence. They're all in it together and hopefully will pay the price for their unpatriotic behavior.
Ron
Why this is lovely and not at all maudlin. I feared you were going to have a tirade on politics.
Believe it or not Dr. Spo, I try to control my tirades on politics. However, those tirades are always just simmering below the surface of my id.
Post a Comment