Sunday, January 07, 2018

Trapped By The Cold and Snow and Ice

Our sun drenched living room yesterday - nice passive solar heat and with help from our gas propane fireplace which we leave on most of the day during cold snaps like we're having now

Yes, we're still trapped by the cold (five degrees this morning), snow and ice. 

We haven't been out in our car since I returned Wednesday night after 10 o'clock, just as this winter snowstorm (snowmageddon) was dropping a foot of snow on our bucolic home.

Bill was out yesterday chipping away at the ice near our garage. I have to get out tomorrow to work at the hotel.

The temperatures are forecast to rise later this week, all the way up to 61 degrees on Thursday. We can only hope! I've had enough of the snow and ice and cold. 

This kind of weather is unusual for us here on the coastal shore of the southern Delmarva peninsula. Usually, if we get snow it's just a dusting that goes away the next day.  But ever few years we get a dumping of snow like we had this past week. I hope this is the last of the snow for the winter.

Rain is also forecast for Thursday when the temperatures are rising to 61 degrees. Wash that snow away and back to normal.

California is a few days closer to my arrival.

Housebound Ron - relaxing for a few minutes yesterday in my wing chair



12 comments:

Raybeard said...

Brrrrr! Your weather is still figuring daily, high on our news bulletins. What a relief millions of you ought to be feeling in just a few days time. And when your thaw comes let's hope you won't be needing another before the Winter's over. Meanwhile, California beckons!
Oh, and will the Big Orange Genius (BOG) put the melting down to 'global warming'? I somehow doubt it as it doesn't fit his agenda.

Deedles said...

That is a lovely house to be bound in, if you're into that sort of thing. Sending you semi-warm California thoughts.

Ron said...

You live in California Deedles? Where? I love our house. I'm staying in this house the rest of my life (if I can). It's perfect for me. Bill is even beginning to like it!
Ron

Ron said...

Ray,
This cold is getting real old. A little bit I can handle but weeks? I feel like I'm living in the Arctic.
Ron

Deedles said...

I was born and raised in San Diego. I now live in Northern California, Livermore to be exact. Totally different in climate, hence the semi-warm thoughts instead of whole warm thoughts.

nitewrit said...

Ron,

Yes, looking forward to the more usual temperatures for the region, but do have to get through a storm calling for sleet, snow and freezing rain hitting us tomorrow evening. Well, it is winter.

Lar

Ur-spo said...

I've seen your YouTube posts - brrrrr !

pat888 said...

Ron - great displacement of windows. Love the light streaming in. So even on the coldest winter days there is this warm natural heat when the sun is out. And what a super nice size living room to boot.

Pat

Ron said...

Deedles,
Never been to northern California. Visited San Francisco one weekend in the Seventies. Looking forward to my California visit in a month!
Ron

Ron said...

Sunny outside now Lar! I love it!
Ron

Ron said...

Sunny outside now with a balmy 56 degrees. I love it!
Ron

Ron said...

Pat,
That was planned. I love a lot of windows. I get very depressed if I live in a place without a lot of natural light.
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...