Monday, October 03, 2016

Will I Ever Go Back To Provincetown?



Me in the back of my friend Bob's pickup truck, August 1974 at Bob White's Motel, Provincetown, Mass 

Back in the Seventies and early Eighties I used to spend all my vacation days in Provincetown, Massachusetts.  

The first time I visited Provincetown was in 1974.  I had heard a lot about Provincetown being the "Gay Mecca" from my late co-worker Don Lodge. I felt that I had missed out on all the "Gay Mecca" scene because I lived in Philadelphia, PA.  At that time Philadelphia was considered a pale imitation of New York City as far as the gay scene was concerned.

Being young and foolish (relatively), I thought I would grab this last chance of immersing myself into the Gay Disneyland of the East Coast.  

At 32 years old I felt I was past my prime gay attractiveness so I better make hay while the sun shined. Oh yes, I was brainwashed that if you were gay and over 30 years old you were washed up.  Oh how little did I know, witness the fact that I will soon be 75 years old and I am literally having the best time of my life now romantically and sexually.  Something I never would have believed way back there over forty years ago.  But I digress.  Back to the subject at hand.

I talked to my late good friend Bob McCamley about visiting Provincetown.  Bob had a pickup truck.  We were both butch.  What away to make an entrance into the gay Mecca, two butches in a pickup truck. 

Bob agreed to drive to Provincetown.  

He came by our townhouse in center city Philly one sunny Saturday morning and picked me up.  We were on our way!

To be continued:


Me and my friend Bob ready to depart Philadelphia for Provincetown, Mass August 1974



4 comments:

  1. Would you go back, hoping to recapture the experience of 40 years ago, or looking for new experiences?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David
      Only to recapture the experience of 40 years ago. No new experiences.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I don't know. 40 years can bring a lot of changes. Sometimes it is better to let the past lie as a memory. I'm all for new experiences.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. try to enjoy it for what it is rather than what it was.

    ReplyDelete