Sunday, September 01, 2013

Still Coping



The saga continues folks.  Nope, I haven't passed my kidney stone yet.  Two more days and my doctor blasts it.  

I had a restful sleep last night.  I awoke this morning without pain but I know it can return within seconds, bringing me to my knees in pain.  Folks, I am not exaggerating how intense the pain is.  Thank God my doctor gave me another prescription for pain killer pills.  As soon as I feel that sinking feeling coming on I take one pill (haven't had to take two at a time yet).  Then I lay down perfectly flat on my back in my bed.  The pain washes over me like a mean tidal wave.  "Woosh!" and "Waash!"  I take it, I have no other choice than to go to the ER and have painkillers administered intravenously, which works faster but doesn't solve the problem that I had a kidney stone trying to escape from my body.  

I close my eyes as the pain continues to sweep over me.  After about ten minutes I can feel a slight lessening of pain, although it is still very painful.  Then after about 25 minutes the pain is gone and I feel like I'm almost a human being again.  That's the way I spent most of yesterday, in my bed....sleeping and trying not to move too much lest I disturb my kidney stone and start it to move again.  I am convinced that this stone will not pass on it's own, it is just too big.

I have an appointment on Tuesday at 12:30 at my doctor's office to fill out the authorization paperwork for the surgical procedure to blast away this damn stone.  I don't know if the procedure will take place then but at least something is being done.  My doctor had hoped for the "conservative approach" (his words) and let the stone move on it's own but that isn't happening (of course).  

This is one for the books folks.  Someday in the future I'll laugh about this "lost weekend" but right now it isn't so funny.  

20 comments:

  1. I’ve been there so I know your pain. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjj28878,

      I got through almost the whole day without pain now it's coming back. Not too bad now but that's how it always starts out, just a little bit then increases until it is almost unbearable. I hope that doesn't happen this time. At least I got a chance to catch up on some of my favorite blogs and answer some e-mails. I'm so far behind. I am so glad I decided not to go into work this weekend. It would have killed me.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Oh man, I am so sorry you're going through this. Just hang tough.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I know the pain is coming back because I'm getting that "exhausted" feeling again. This always happens when the pain comes back. Just to get through tomorrow.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I hope you and Bill plan a wingding of a weekend as soon as this passes! You'll deserve more than the average restaurant dinner.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Oh Bill and I are going to celebrate alright. Probably not with a restaurant diner. Neither one of us eats that much. Just some quiet, pain free time together will work for us.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you are writing about all this Ron and getting us educated. What a lesson you are giving us and I really feel your pain. Like you, I cannot wait for that stone to be basted. There has to be something you can do to prevent other stones to form I hope. I might Goggle the question and see what it is all about. In the mean time, stay flat on your back and be comfortable and pain free. I am just so sorry this is happening to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I was doing good all day without the pain now it has come back slightly, which means the stone is moving again. It's up front on my right side now. Yesterday it was in the back. I haven't taken any painkiller pills today. I'm hoping I can get through one day without taking any. If it wasn't for this holiday weekend, my doctor would have already blasted this kidney stone. Just my luck, terrible timing. Could be a lot worse though.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Unlike that other kind of "lost weekend" you're bound to remember this one. And I deeply regret this happening to you - such a good natured man . Thank goodness the matter will be looked at tuesday. Your patience in dealing with this simply blows me away!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I was good almost the whole day now the pain has come back, slightly. I'll lay down, maybe it will go away. This has to be the worst week for me for pain in my life. I've had other medical emergencies but none this painful or debilitating. Just incredible for it to happen on a major holiday weekend. Now to get through tomorrow. This time next week I'll be back on my regular course and telling stories about this "lost week."

      Ron

      Delete
  6. if there is an "up side" to this ordeal, at least you are not out on route 1 with all the crappy tourist drivers out there. when you get the stone blasted, the tourists will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for that Anne Marie!

      Delete
  7. chronic pain is tedious draining and is one of the most miserable things I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got back from an aborted trip to the ER. The pain was so great I couldn't take it any more. However, the pain pills finally kicked inn just as we were driving in the parking lot. I'm home now, still in pain but not that unbearable pain. Thank God for painkillers.

      Delete
  8. I hate to say this but sometimes I wish I would just die to end this. It's really wearing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sleep now. Maybe I won't wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ron, you don't want to die and make us feel so sad and awful! You hang in there, "you hear"! But deeply, I know how draining and debilitating
    the pain is and the constant worry has to be horrible. You are a hostage to this stone. Maybe a miracle will happen and the stone will pass before tuesday.
    I am not one to pray but I sure will tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege. Sorry for the slip up. I just feel like a hostage with no hope of rescue from this awful situation plus I feel so bad for dragging everyone down with me. Your words if encouragement are so helpful.

      Delete
  11. Ron, what torture that stone is. And as Dr. Spo says "draining" - your strength, patience, and, from your last comments, your will. Just hang tough is a tall order for you right now - but we're all hoping that you will be given some real help on tuesday. Hope you are sleeping soundly.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to bed now Pat. This is my last message I'm tapping out with my stylus on my iPhone tonight while I'm enjoying some relatively pain free moments. Good night all!

      Delete