Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pat

Pat

The more observant of my faithful blog followers may have noticed the entry of a new friend in my life.  He is pictured in the banner of this blog.  No, it is not "The Cajun" who is pictured below with me giving him the "horns". The Cajun of course is my dear longtime friend that I made a few years before I moved to Delaware in 2007.  And he is a real friend because he as seen all sides of me, both the bad and good (and believe me I have plenty of the bad).  He has proven himself a true friend because even because he has seen the bad side of Ron, he remains a true and devoted (if I can be so bold as to say so) friend.  



The Cajun and (bad) me
Me and "The Cajun" having a disagreement - move on, nothing to see here

Yes folks, my new BF is "Pat".  

Pat is Canadian.  He presently lives in Toronto.  Last week he retired from his job and is now planning on moving to the United States.  Guess where?  Delaware!  Bill and have helped him to find a building lot in nearby Milton. 

Pat was down a few weeks ago.  The three of us (The Cajun, Pat and yours truly) went on the Kalmar Nyckel. Pat is returning for a few weeks early in November to check out his new property.  In addition I'm going to do something that I've wanted to do ever since my 70th birthday, to take a road trip through my old haunts in Pennsylvania including Philadelphia where I worked and lived many years.  Bill doesn't like to drive in those heavily congested areas but Pat said he wouldn't mind.  We're planning on meeting Dr. Spo and Anne Marie of Philly in King of Prussia on November 7th and then we'll drive to Philly to meet my longtime friend Don.



And oh yes, Don has also seen the bad side of Ron and remained a friend.  

You know there are just some people who bring out the best in you no matter how bad you feel or act sometimes.  Add Pat to that list. I've been very lucky in my life that I have more than my share of such friends who like me JUST THE WAY I AM.  So important folks, so important.  And now you all can add my friend Pat From Tornonto to that list of FOR, or "Friends of Ron."  Hmmmm.....does that sound too self-serving?  Oh well, if you really are my friend you would understand.  That's me. 

Pat (my new BF) and me in my driveway.  
Pat and me at Old Time Photo in Rehoboth Beach, DE
Now if I can just talk my friend Don into getting an old time photo with me.  

20 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Ron - and so nice to read one that I can cover entirely without fear of flaking out.
    You're really blessed in having a fine clutch of fellow bloggers you've been able to get to meet in person. (I'm still awaiting my very first encounter.)
    The 'Pat connection' is really going big-time serious, and it's so good to know that you've managed to hit it off so well, and that it wasn't just a flash in the pan.

    Btw: I look forward to the day when I too may get the chance of becoming, in reality, an FOR. Who can say it won't happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,

      Yes, one of the unexpected benefits and pleasures of blogging is the new friends I am making. Pat is now on that list. What a wonderful fellow he is too. We have so much in common. He is a charming, sensitive, caring and interesting man. All those years of hanging out in gay bars, never met anyone like him. I have several really good, longtime friends but they are handicapped by the wives (who come first of course). Pat is unencumbered and thus available to me without a wife's permission. Such freedom!

      I too look forward to someday meeting all my blogger friends. So far everyone is batting a 1,000. All wonderful folks!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Hi Ron,

    Glad to hear you sounding better. I know you will be glad to get this all behind you. One thing about sickness we come out of it with a greater respect for our good health. Good luck with the final blasting, as you call it. Sounds like you have some fun times coming up. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Take care!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,

      I'm coming back! I'm about 95% there. So good to feel like normal again and going about my regular activities. I didn't realize how bad off I was until I started to get better this week. Yes, there are some fun times coming up. Who says old folks can't enjoy life? We may not have much time left but I sure as hell am going to make the most of the time I have left.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I 'dig" Pat, even though I haven't met him and don't know much about him. I am just glad you added a wonderful gentleman to your list of
    amazing friendships. We all yearn for those warm, trustful human contacts, friends who can bring the best out of us.
    (I have been working a lot, long hours until mid October. Don't worry if you don't read any comments from me. I might break down and take my electronic toys to work with me, which I really don't like to do, but I also don't want to fall behind in my emails, blogs, FB...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I knew you would like Pat! He is about the sweetest and most gentle guy I've ever met. And we have so much in common. He's almost like my mirror image. We often think the same things at the same time. It's uncanny. You're right, "We all yearn for those warm, trustful human contracts, friends who can bring the best out of us." Very well said and that is exactly what has happened with me since I met Pat. He is bringing out the best in me. I am no exception because I too yearn for that kind of friendship and I have found it with Pat. I am so happy that he is moving to Delaware. I figured it was time I introduced this wonderful man to my other blogger friends.

      Don't concern yourself Nadege if you can't always get to your blog reading. I'm so far behind now, what with my recent illness and other things going on. I hope to catch up when the cold weather descends upon us.

      Have a wonderful day Nadege.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. well holy crap! I get to meet a new friend! and pat gets to attend the bloggerpalooza next april!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Yes, you will get to meet Pat. He is a real sweetheart to and don't you dare steal him.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. oh honey, I have SO many boyfriends. I'll let you keep this one! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      You got a point there. Some got it and some don't. You got it baby!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Putting him to the test, eh. Hard to think of a more heavily congested areas to meet up with people to start a trek than King of Prussia. Did they ever finish construction on Rt. 202?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      That's what I was thinking, why not just jump into the fire? I'm going to try and arrange this rendezvous that is to take place in King of Prussia to a nearby location. Preferably Great Valley or even Philadelphia.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. hell no larry; it's ALWAYS construction season on route 202!

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      I never remember a time when there wasn't construction on Rt. 202. ALWAYS!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    You are so incredibly easy to like. Absolutely no work here on my part. I am simply spoiled by your generous friendship. I enjoy more than you think being around you. Your frank honest ways, wit, knowledge of nature and technology. And, yes, somehow you even look great in those half gone hospital shots. You are really one of a kind. I'm a lucky man.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      You have yet to see the Bad Ron. I have him under wraps. I threw away the key when I met you.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. There's nothing more satisfying than having great friends who stick with you through the good, the bad, and the ugly. It sounds like you're on the road to recovery which is fantastic. Speaking of roads - -your upcoming road trip sounds like it will be fun, and November is a nice time of year.

    My intuition is always right (well, almost always) and I strongly suspected that Pat would eventually relocate in Deleware.
    .......pssssssst.......will Bill be jealous?? I hope he doesn't own a shotgun.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You are so right, there is nothing more satisfying than having great friends who stay with you no matter what. Pat is one of those people.

      By the way, your intuition was right, Pat is relocating to Delaware. He will be a neighbor and yes, Bill will be jealous. We can handle it though. Bill and I have an understanding (both way) that we can have "friends." We don't put clamps on each other. We started out our relationship with the understanding there would be no possessiveness or jealousy. I think that's why we have lasted so long. We don't subscribe to the usual Puritan brainwashed American that is imbedded in our culture. I love Bill and he loves me and I would never leave him. Yet I can have and have had close friends as he has also had close friends. It's called Freedom. Works for us.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. I know it is serious and official when I see the old west photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      My other "soulmate". You know me so well. I am so transparent. :)

      Ron

      Delete