Saturday, September 14, 2013

Coming Back To Life



Folks, I'm almost there!  OMG, did I ever get a good night's sleep last night.  These past three weeks seem like somebody else's life.  

Thursday night I went back to work for the first time in two weeks exactly.  I know because I didn't get a pay.  Yep, I timed my health drama exactly to coincide with my two week pay period. Well, at least that was neat.




So I go to work Thursday night, 3 to 11 pm.  Actually I went in an hour early because my co-worker had to leave early.  I went in at 2 pm and worked until 11 pm.  And wouldn't you know it the hotel had an "event."  This one was a wedding rehearsal dinner  Yep, a WEDDING REHEARSAL DINNER.  These straight folks really make a big deal about weddings don't they? And to think Bill and I took Jack and Judy D., our wedding witnesses to the Bay Leaf restaurant in Milton after we got married in Georgetown on July 3rd. And that was it for us folks.  No big deal with the grandparents and grandkids coming in form all parts of the country for THE BIG WEDDING.  But I digress.


My Wedding Party - yes, this was it - FOUR PEOPLE

So here I am, back at work, a little wobbly and light headed after a two week bout with kidney stones and the aftermath, and I have the wedding guest checking into the hotel.  Just between you and me folks, next to sports teams, the worst guests you want to have if you're working at a hotel are wedding groups.  They are a PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT.  But I'm digressing again.


The Horde coming into the hotel "Do you have a pool?"

So I get through the night only to have to go to work the next morning at 6:30 am.  Yep, that was a short night.  The daytime front desk clerks helps to set up the breakfast prior to the breakfast hostess coming in around 7 am to complete the set out for breakfast at 8 am.  Well, wouldn't you know it but the new breakfast hostess was delayed and didn't get in until 8:15 am.  Yep, that's right folks.....Ron did the WHOLE breakfast.  Of course  I wasn't surprised when I first unlocked the doors to the hotel at 6:30 am I had a guest waiting for me asking "When's the coffee going to be ready?" I said "Give me ten minutes" and I was off and running.  Oh yes, he was a wedding guest and there is a coffee maker in his room but still....no surprise this was a wedding guest after all.  Their main problem is that they want their hotel rooms and accommodations to be EXACTLY like their home.  Ain't going to happen but they try, the dears.  



Bridezilla

After the hostess came in, I could go back to my regular position looking pretty and helpful behind the front desk (which I do quite well thank you).  

The rest of the day went well but it was a long day.  Monica my relief came at quarter to three, and after updating her on the particulars (we do that at every shift change, hotel stuff), I skeedadeld out of there.  As soon as I got home and removed my hotel garb, I hit the sack for a solid hour and a half nap.


Passing the baton to the next shift

I got up, had a light dinner (no lunch, quite impossible when working a front desk at a hotel, it's an accomplishment that I can even go to the bathroom without someone calling or stopping at the front desk - nothing like pee interruptus to throw off your day).  And yes, I do wash my hands when I'm done (I know some of you were wondering).

After dinner I talked to Bill for a while (he hasn't seen much of me the past two days) and then I decided to go to bed early because I was still tired.  Man was I tired. 

I don't know what I did but I finally got to bed around 8:30 pm and only woke up about five times during the night to take a pee (I still have that stent in me).  When I finally got out of bed this morning at 6:05 am I felt SOOOO GOOD. God, for the first time in WEEKS I felt like a normal 71 year old gay white male (whatever that's supposed to feel like).  Man, so refreshed.  So this is what it's like to be ALIVE!  




So here I am, 10:24 am now, finally updating my blog with rambling thoughts (it's my blog, I can write want I want to - sung to the melody of Lesley Gore's "It's My Party").  

Know what folks?  Laying down felt so good, I'm going to do it again before I go to work this afternoon at 2:30.  And oh yes, the wedding guests are still there. Bring 'em on!  




12 comments:

  1. ron, you are returning to your old self again! your snark shows and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne Marie! BTW, I was just talking to Dr. Spo. He's trying to contact you re the November weekend in KOP. Apparently he's been texting a strange woman. I just gave him your phone number again.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Ron,
    Soooo glad you are feeling better! Love reading the happy post!!! Sounds like jumped into the fire the first night back!!!
    You friend,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James! Nobody is more glad Old Ron is back than Old Ron.

      Have a wonderful day!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. It's so good to hear that you're back to your old self - - feeling feisty and ready to take on those persistantly annoying wedding guests. And it's reassuring to know that you wash your hands after taking a pee. I would have been tempted to pee in the coffee, as a morning supplement for the guest's breakfast (just kidding, of course.......)

    Don't get me going on the subject of weddings. There's nothing worse than a straight wedding.
    Years ago I was Best Man at my best friend's wedding (yea, he was straight). It was a horribly draining ordeal and it took me years to recover (or so it seemed.....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Jon, I'm back. I don't like straight weddings either. Never enjoyed them. Mine wasn't too bad though. In fact I rather enjoyed it.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh, as absent as I have been, it sure is nice to see a post like this! Sounds like you are getting back to your old onery self.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Oh yes, I am getting back to my "old ornery self" and it feels damn good! Now to get rid of this damn stint. Operation this Friday and may the stint removal the following week. I'm tired of having my private parts messed with. For chrissakes.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Being in the service industry you must see a lot; I hope you have means to keep your blood pressure from rising to 200.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Oh yes, I see "it" a lot. Most of time I can keep my blood pressure under control but every now and then there is the Guest From Hell who will test me.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    I enjoy it when you make a snippy comment dished out with a good measure of humour. And I bet your customers get the best service they possibly expect from you. You are just that kind of guy. Also loved Bridezilla - and the scene of those storming the walls looks like it's from World War Z.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      Nobody, but nobody (modest me) offers better guest service than me. How many hotel front desk clerks to you know have been able to say 'I'm going to Disney World!" because they won a "Best Guest Service Award?" That would be me. I have my "moments" though.

      Ron

      Delete