Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Busy Day at Ron's Home Office

Back in my 9 to 5 working days I often entertained this fantasy of working out of my home.  I fantasized that I would win the lottery, quit my job, and never work again for The Man and instead work for myself.  Of course I wouldn't get any pay but I would have the pleasure of working for myself.  I could get up when I wanted to, do what I wanted to, take a break (sleep, pee, eat, nap or afternoon delight) when I wanted to.  Yep folks, that was my fantasy.


You know what?  Sometimes dreams do come true and you don't even know it.  These days that's actually what I'm doing.  By default I converted our home's smallest bedroom into my home office.  This is where my two computers (an iMac and an ancient Gateway which isn't hooked up to the Internet but has a lot of photos, passwords and address info on it) reside.  My filing cabinets (stuffed) also take up residence in this room.  Yes, I now have a home off out of which I work daily.  I love it! 

In my home office I do exactly whatever I feel like doing.  I update my blog.  I read my favorite blogs.  I try to keep up with my ever growing e-mail files. I occasionally make futile attempts at organizing my 80,000 some digital photos on iPhoto (a task I fear I never will complete), I talk to a few of my very favorite people (and you know who you are) on FaceTime, I pay my bills, I shop, I settle my checking accounts, I check my investments (such as they are), and today I make PHONE CALLS.  First up after posting this blog I have to call the VA in Georgetown to get my blood test results from last Thursday.  The Milford Hospital called yesterday.  They need that information before they can perform my kidney stone procedure this Friday. Oh how I would like to go just one week without seeing or contacting a doctor or medical establishment.  



After I herd those cats I take on my next challenge of the morning:  finalizing plans for my bi-annual family reunion on October 6th.  I'm never sure how many of my family are coming (they're notorious for not letting me know and just showing up).  I have engaged a caterer (my cousin Richard R.D. Tipton who has his own catering business).  I sort of would like to get a general idea of how many folks are descending upon the East Brandywine Park in Guthriesville, PA for our hoedown.  And oh yes, this year I'm having entertainment.  At the suggestion of my cousin Melanie, I'm acquired the services of a five man band called "The Hillbilly Jug Band."  Since all of us Tiptons are descendants of hillbillies (not embarrassed to say that), this is very appropriate.  Back in 1997 I engaged the services of Bob Paisley and his Southern Grass Bluegrass Band.  That was a great success.  My last two reunions I didn't have a band and something was missing.  I'll fix that this year.  Damn the cost.  How long will I be around anyway, after the events of this year?  



So there you are folks, just a smidgen of what happening today in Ron's Office this morning.  And oh yes, maybe I'll have time to call my patient and long suffering friend Lar and talk to him on FaceTime.  With a schedule like mine, something has to give and all too often it is my FaceTime with my understanding and patient friend Lar.


15 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Good to see you up and about. Always good to see you on video, can't wait to meet you at the Blogaplooza next year. Kudos on the family reunion. It would be a feat short of God's intervention for me to ever have a reunion, family scattered far and wide from coast to coast, never mind that there aren't but about 15 at the most left anyway.

    Hoping everything goes well on Friday, I'll be thinking about you and I'll say a prayer for your speedy FULL recovery.

    Stay safe and well.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      I am glad you're planning on coming to our Bloggerpalooza. I know you'll have a good time. I am very much looking forward to meeting you.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Oh boy! Fresh meat for the bloggerpalooza!!! WOOHOO!!!

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,

      I'm expecting a few new entries to the Bloggerpalooza this year. For sure there is Randy of Nebraska, Pat of Toronto and Jack of (I think) Virginia, formerly of Philadelphia. Who knows, maybe I met him in my Past Life. Bloggerpalooza is only months away now. See how fast time goes by?

      Ron

      Delete
  2. My home office is a MESS! I need a leaf blower and a leaf vacuum to clean it up.
    I'll bet yours is a lot better organized than mine.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Don't bet on it. Mind can stand some organizing too.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    I am so glad to hear you are back up and running at regular speed - or close to it. And wishing you a full and quick recovery after the friday procedure - altho I think the whole matter isn't finished until the stent comes out. Being the active person you are all these medical events have been real setbacks to important things you need to get done. It's terrific and surely well appreciated by your family that you organize the reunion. Thanks for keeping us updated in the blog.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I cannot tell you how glad I am to get back to my normal activity. I felt like I was dragging around and anchor around my leg for the past few weeks.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I want to join the conga line of congratulations on feeling better/doing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo! I am ready to reenter the Land of the Living.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Thanks for inviting us into your home office. Everyone needs a home office nowadays and that's my favorite place to be (I have a piano in mine). I'm glad to see that you're blissfully busy and doing fine. It'll be a relief when that damned kidney stone is finally blasted.
    The Hillbilly Jug Band sounds like it will be a perfect supplement to the family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Had to cancel "The Hillbilly Jug Band". Had some complaints from family members that they wouldn't have enough time to talk. You know how it is with family.

      I got my instructions for this Friday. Tell me how glad I will be to get rid of these kidney stones and medical procedures. Seems like that's all I'm doing this year. For Chrissake.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I defintely got hungry reading the post. Your tedious planning I am sure will result in a successful event. Unfortunately a lot of families only see each other at W&F which is the case with my trip to tallahassee this week.

    I look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      It takes a LOT of planning for these family reunions and one has to be OH SO CAREFUL not to step on anyone's toes. But in the end I think the effort is worth it.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Interesting post, Ron! Seems like you are really busy with your job. Anyway, find time to de-stress though. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete