Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rules of Life



Life is as serious as it is and especially lately for me. My Mom and my best friend are in the early stages of dementia.  Some of my good friends are undergoing grueling cancer treatments.  And I was recently the target of homophobic hate on my Facebook account from the husband of a friend of mine (who is probably no longer my friend, sad to say.) 

As long as I live I will never get used to the mindless cruelty of some people just because of who I am and the fact that I don't live my life as they deem I should. But, I will attempt to put that behind me and look forward to the friends that I do have that I care about and they care about me.

Yesterday I had a very nice lunch with a new friend.  That helped to bring me out of my recent doldrums.We had a few laughs, enjoyed each other's company then we were on our way.  Yesterday's lunch was a delightful interlude in an otherwise drab and dreay day.  I needed that.


Yesterday I also discovered that Facebook is a great new way to get in contact with the newer generation of my relatives. That will help me greatly in keeping up to date my genealogical family tree as well as arrange a family reunion this summer. I love working on my family genealogy.  That is my lifetime task from which I receive a great deal of satisfaction.  I would much rather spend my time in this manner than responding to someone placing his hate on me.  Love conquers hate everytime. 



I have much to be thankful for. I have good health. I have good friends and I have a wonderful, caring family. I have a nice home and a loving and caring life partner in Bill. I cannot and will not let the hate of those few people who harbor hatred towards me because I am a gay man deter me from happiness.




Below is my humor of the day. I promise my future postings will be more upbeat. I post my life as it happens. Hopefully there won't be too many more incidents like this in my life. I thought they all disappeared with the enlightenment of the past few years. I was wrong. Here is the humor:



Rules of Life They Don’t Teach in School



1. Never give yourself a haircut after three margaritas.


2. You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn’t, use the tape.


3. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.


4. If he or she says that you are too good for him or her – believe them.


5. Never pass up an opportunity to pee.


6. Be really nice to your friends. You never know when you are going to need them to empty your bedpan.




4 comments:

  1. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

    Oddly enough, the converse is true - everyone seems strange until you get to know them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    Now that you mention it, I think you have a point. What I have found many time is that people who do seem normal aren't and the crazy people aren't so crazy after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I will add: We never really get to know anyone completely. We only know what others allow us to see or accidently reveal. We know some people much; others not at all, but none fully. Those we know as normal may be quite strange indeed and those we dismiss as strange may be more normal than we are.

    Of course in truth, I have no idea what normal is. I don't think normal exists.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    Your observations on "normal" are very astute. I agree with you, I don't think there is a "normal" in life. It is fiction. We're all dysfunctional in someway. We manage the best we can.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete