Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Salad a Day Keeps the Doctor Away




A few years ago I ran into an old classmate of mine from high school. We were both in the vegetable section of Wegmans supermarket. He was shopping for salad ingredients for his new health diet to combat heart disease. While I've never been one for salads I thought I would give it a try too. When I grew up Mom didn't make salads for our dinner table. We usually had overcooked green string beans or corn on the cob. That was about it. The only salads I had were when I dined out and that was a hit or miss experience. Once in a great while I got a salad I liked. Not very often though.


So I took my friend's advice and got some salad ingredients for myself. Well, I have to say I am now hooked. I liked my salads the best. I have basically two types of salads. Either a Caesar Salad of Romaine lettuce, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and a Caesar Vinaigrette salad dressing. I can't take the heavy fat laden salad dressings. I sprinkle Caesar croutons on top of the salad. My other favorite salad is "Ron's Salad." This salad consists of torn Romaine lettuce leaves, cucumber, sliced white or red onion, and those little round red tomatoes (not cherry or plum but the "other" ones) that are so expensive (but so worth it.) I sprinkle a little salad seasoning on it and Italian croutons. I use a sun dried red tomato Italian vinaigrette dressing on this salad. These salads hit the spot with me. I know they're right because my stomach welcomes them. With other salads, especially ones made with iceberg lettuce, I feel like I ate nothing but salad dressing.


I used to buy prepackaged Romaine salads but I now find it more economical to but one of those three packs of Romaine lettuce and prepare my own greens. I occasionally like to buy the Spring Mix and have it with a Raspberry Walnut vinaigrette. I don't like salad dressings with the heavy calories. I feel it takes away from the taste of the fresh greens and tomatoes. Salad dressing should be accompany, not dominate a salad.


I have been remiss in my blog postings. I try to make a daily blog posting but there is just so much going on in this retiree's life, sometimes I just don't have the time. One thing I always have time for though is a good salad and I make a damn good salad!

4 comments:

  1. Glenn loves salad. We have it at least once or twice a week. He likes ceasar dressing or blue cheese. I like asain dressings. The spring mix salad is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day a salad Mike. Every day. Something would be missing in my day if I couldn't top it off with a salad. I usually have one at dinner. I also like blue cheese but try to stay away from eating too many artery cloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, a friend with a Greek background made salad for me and sprinkled mint on the greens and tomatoes before adding the salad dressing. It was different and refreshing, and I add mint once in a while for a change of pace. Also, another friend adds sliced avocado to salads -- luxurious, and a different touch when one wants a change. We often use a variation of a balsamic dressing from a heart association cookbook: 4 tbsp.each of balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, pepper to taste -- keeps well in the refrigerator for several days, although sometimes the olive oil solidifies. A few seconds in the microwave takes care of that, though. -- Kate Varley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,

    Thank you for the salad dressing tips. I like Greek salad but never tried it with mint leaves or sliced avocado. What I really like about Green salads is the feta cheese and black olives. I'llt try your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete