Friday, March 03, 2023

Feeling So Mich Better...For Now



Daffodils March 2023


It only lasted for a day. The extreme runny nose and exhaustion. 

What an awful photo of myself I posted of me suffering from runny nose. My apologies folks but that is the real me now days. There is no getting around it, I'm old and I show it. Especially when I'm sick.

I think my problems are allergies. Usually when I feel the runny nose coming on I reach for my allergy medicine to cut the extreme symptoms off at the pass. I wasn't successful that day but the past two days I have been successful. I've been able to live a somewhat normal life. It is so interesting how easily I am taken down these days by a cold or extreme allergies. No matter how sick I am I still have to perform my daily caregiving for Bill. Tomorrow is Shower Day. We both dread that but it is necessary. 

Bill's open wound on his right leg is healing so much better now that I've enchanted his daily diet with two egg custards a day and a couple teaspoonfuls of high protein yogurts that I put his crushed medications in. He gets three pills in the morning and three at night. 

Yesterday I received the statement from the VA Community Care program for Bill's latest stay at our local hospital. The total cost was in the over $100,000! Yes, you read that right. And that's not even counting the emergency room costs, walk in clinic costs and other stray costs that always come in after one of these emergencies. Thank God Bill has Medicare (which covers the hospital stay) and the VA Community Care programs to cover the costs. Still, it is very scary to see all those costs. The thought always that comes to my mind when I see these statements is "What do people do who don't have insurance?"  They go bankrupt, that's what they do.

I thought I had a month free of doctors' appointments but not so. Next week is my cardiologist appointment and also with my dermatologist. I also have a followup with my hematologist. This is karma for all those years I used to tease my Mother when she was living a life of doctors' appointments.  I think of all those years I had NO doctor's appointments. I was lucky to be so healthy. It's not that I'm unhealthy now, it's just that I'm OLD. That is a fact of life. Gone are those youthful days when we assumed we would live forever. Even the most beautiful rose eventually fades and falls to the ground to be claimed by the earth.

I am thankful that I'm around for another spring. Most of our daffodils are in full bloom now. Every year I plant more and more daffodils. One can never have too many daffodils. It's always sad to go by a lot where there is no longer a house but burst of daffodils. I saw one such spot as we were leaving Milton after one of our almost daily trips to the Food Lion, our supermarket of choice. There was a lot of earth movement, pipes to go into the ground, and mounding and there, right by the road, a fresh yellow burst of sunshine, persistent spring daffodils who will bloom no matter that their former home and family are gone now, most probably resting in the nearby cemetery. When we first moved down here, at the border of our lot I saw one such gathering of spring daffodils. I dug them all up and transplanted them on our new home. Someday, when Bill and I will be long gone, those daffodils will continue to bloom, hopefully to be welcomed by the new family who lives here.  More probably this neighborhood will be razed for yet commercial strip for the ever increasing population. Life does go on even though we don't.




I'm reading a book now called "The Emergence of Man" (by John E. Pfeiffer). The blurb on the cover says:

"From wilderness to metropolis in 25,000,000 years - the unfolding story of human evolution and the human condition, as revealed by new discoveries in archaeology and primate behavior."

I got this book at our local Restore Thrift Store for fifty cents. It is one of the best books I've ever read. Easy to read, doesn't read like a text book although it looks and weighs like one. 




I've always been curious and fascinated by the human condition. How did we get here and more important why are we here? And what happened to this amorphous soul that inhabits this frail and all so vulnerable flesh and bones we are privileged to inhabit for such a short amount of time? 



I'm at the chapter now where the Neanderthals have disappeared (around 40,000 years ago) after having lived on this planet for more than 350,000 years! All those years sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it folks? After reading that I thought who will be on this planet 50,000 years from now? Not one hundred years or two hundred years but 50,000  years? Would they be able to read my scribblings here and see my thousands of photos and videos? Would there even be life on this planet as we know it now or will humankind go the way of the dinosaurs? My thinking is that this planet earth would probably look like Mars does now, a lifeless and barren planet. I can easily imagine this especially after this latest COVID pandemic that China oh so sure did pass on to the world by that lab leak out of Wuhan. Oh yes, I said it. We all know that's how the COVID virus snuffed out 6,859,093 lives so far because of China's mistake. Yes, I'm quite sure life as we know it will not exist on earth 50,000 years from now. Hell, it probably won't exist 500 years from now.

Sorry to be a downer folks so I'll end this latest stream of consciousness blog posting by expressing how thankful I am to have lived four score and plus years (so far) in relative comfort.  I've had and continue to have a good life folks. I'm trying to hang on a few more years. Maybe another trip to Palm Springs with Pat. And Canada and Philly. Maybe. Maybe not. 

By the way, even if human life may not exist on this planet 50,000 years from now you know what kind of life will exist? Sure you do. It won't be the lovely daffodil but the ugly cockroach. They are indestructible. We aren't. But maybe our souls are.



10 comments:

anonymous said...

Your daffodils along the side of your house are so springy and delightful. Here in NE Ohio a few are just starting to come up. I did see a few buds on some shrubs when I was on my walk yesterday. It still looks pretty wintry here. We're in the midst of a monsoon here. It's rained all day and into this evening. A high wind alert has/had been posted, though haven't noticed anything significant with that.
I laughed when you mentioned everything goes except cockroaches, they're indestructible. Much like Trump. They're certainly in the same category! LOL!
I really hope you're able to get a few more trips in to Palm Springs, Philly and wherever you'd like to go. As far as my traveling days, I think the train has left the station. I guess I'm OK with that.
Glad you're feeling better, and the allergies have subsided. Mine are year-round. Enjoy those daffodils!
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
Cockroaches and Trump, you are so right. They are both indestructible. I'm looking forward to Trump destroying that phony Meatball Ron DeSantis on the debate stage. That's one thing you have to give Trump, he can take down just about anybody. Except perhaps Pete Buttegieg. Now that would be a debate I would pay to see.
Sorry to hear your traveling days may be over. That thought has also crossed my mind recently. It's getting harder and harder for me to walk, especially up stairs. Now I'm having trouble just regular walking.
I'm afraid I'll have my allergies in all seasons the rest of my life. Interesting I never had any allergies when I was younger.
Nice sunny day here in southern coastal Delaware. Very windy though, and cold.
Ron

VRCooper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling better, Ron. Allergies can be devastating - I have suffered from them my entire life. Ironically, I had my worst allergies when I lived in California and Missouri. They are more mild here in Tennessee.
I'm surprised that your daffodils are blooming so early. No flowers until April in rural TN. I was STUNNED when you mentioned $100,000 for the hospital visit - the astronomical fees are a crime. Thank God for insurance and Medicare.
I was surprised when I read your post about Bill walking on the boardwalk. That was definitely a good thing for him to do, even if it took a lot of effort.
Take care, and my very best to both of you.

VRCooper said...

Glad that you are doing well.

Yes, allergies can be a pain in the butt. I have never suffered from allergies on a regular bases-maybe when I was younger. I have always been the type of person who if I can't carry out my regular daily activities then I get pissy.

Two of my favorite times of the year are spring and fall. I love when nature starts to bloom and usher in summer. And fall when the trees shed summer protection and the colder weather starts to set in.

DeSantis is an ass. I am surprised that local folks are not speaking up and screaming "not in my state." His news conferences/presentations are tightly controlled. There are no questions to be asked by the press. If questions are asked the gaslighting/bullying kicks in. Only friendly audiences. His actions just scream totalitarianism. DeSantis is well-educated, a lawyer, and a veteran. This is what's scary, he knows better. He is not stupid and knows what he is doing/advocating is dangerous to our democracy. It's all about power. I say keep him in Florida. He will have a hard transferring his message on the national level running for president. He will face opposition, and he will have the press asking questions as well as follow-ups. His outings can't be in a bubble of his own making. He will fizzle. He truly has not been tested on the national stage. We have seen him in a few debates and it was not pretty. There is bluster but no substance.

Have a great weekend. Maybe an outing to the boardwalk to stretch the legs.

Ron said...

Vic,
You're right about DeSantis. He knows better. He is an opportunist appealing to the Trump/MAGA base. Trump will slice him to shreds on a national debate stage. Plus DeSantis is thin skinned and doesn't know how to handle/respond to criticism. His wife is pushing him on this fool's errand that he thinks he is actually a viable national candidate for president. DeSantis may appeal to The Villiages Idiots but on the national stage? That's another whole ball game that I don't think he has a clue about. This should be fun watching him walk right into that meat shredder.
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
Medical costs are atrocious in this country. I worry for you, living so far away from medical attention should you have an accident like falling for worse. I hope you have medical insurance because I know you're far to young for Medicare.
Ron

VRCooper said...

Ron--I hear that DeSantis' wife is running around cosplaying Jackie O. She is NOT Jackie. For god sake, Casey D. is a former news and television show host. I would say more like Kari Lake 2.0.

Woody in Ohio said...

Glad you are feeling a wee bit better. I must chuckle when ever I am asked "how have you been"? It seems that in our younger years the answer would have included some social event or some such fun outting with friends. Nowadays the answer is full of medical details and physicl limations. Also as we live longer a discussion about finances is a hot topic because it is on everyone's mind nowadays. Before I forget it the latest photo of Bill Kelly is great. I enjoy seeing each one of them when you post them. In the science lab at school there was a large banner that proclaimed COCKROACHES ARE FOREVER. Haha. It is true. Ron, your daffodils are beautiful. I believe you have done as I always have done and planted them against a foundation or boulder where they are kept warm by the rays of sunlight. Mine were always the first to bloom in the neighborhood for that reason. My g-g-g-g- grandmother brought daffodil bulbs with her from England when she came to Kentucky as a young bride and homesteader in the late 1700's. They eventually settled up a branch of the Kentucky River. It was a very sheltered little valley and the house, not a log cabin, was constructed using techniques that the husband had learned in England. The foundation was stone and it is still visible today up along that branch. She had planted the bulbs along the foundation and they thrived. Here it is 300 years later and aproximately four and a half acres are covered in daffodils. Those who know the area come every year to see this fantastic display of color. About 50 years ago I dug up a bushel basket full of the bulbs. That fall I planted a few on every grave of a family member descending from her. They are everywhere. The groundskeepers of the larger cemeteries of course mow them down after they bloom but they come back year after year. My g-grandmother taught us the English poem Daffadowndilly. Her daughter used to take us to see the daffadowndillies every spring. I last saw them 10 years ago in the spring before I had my accident. A distant cousin is supposed to email me a photograph of them after she visits them this spring. Even though we are living in very difficult times these past few years there is something that Trump and Putin can't mess the F up and that is the annual changing of the seasons. The climate change may be messing with them but one thing is a constant in my life and that is the Daffadowndillys. Ron, my friend, I believe you got the beginnings of a daffadowndilly tradition that will live on long after you are gone. Here in Southwestern Ohio we also have a Peony, Daylilly and Iris tradition. Here at the university the botany department developed and hybridized them. They are to be found all over this region of Ohio and Indiana. Every cemetery, abandoned or in use, has Peony, Daylilly and Iris galore! along the stone walls and the monuments. My family's main cemetery is abloom with Daffadoendillies, Iris, Peony, Old English Moss Rose and my very very favorite Sweet Peas. All self seeded and descendants of thoise planted by long gone relatives. My personal contribution has been Four-O-Clocks. They self seed and when planted against a tombstone or monument the warmth of the sun brings them to life each spring in time for their season each year. Our blogger friend Jon in the mountains of Tennessee probably has dogwoods, rhododendorn and azalea to enjoy in the Spring each year around Kentucky Derby time. I hope he enjoys them. Everyone be safe, careful and HAPPY! Regards from Woody in Southwestern Ohio.

Ron said...

Woody,
Thank you again for sharing your memories with me and those who read my blog. I read with fascination that your ggggrandmother's daffodils are still blooming. Yes, I would like something like that to me my tradition here long after I am gone. Every year I plan more and more. I always say "You can never had enough daffodils."
I'm glad you liked that latest photo of Bill. Unfortunately I don't have too many old photos of Bill. He gave most of them away to his family in Gerogia shortly before he met me, thinking they would be lost once he died. Of course he had no idea he would meet me or live as long as he has now. I would love to see those photos which I've asked his niece about but she feigns ignorance.
Always good to hear from you and nice to know you also follow Jon in the mountains of western Tennessee.
Ron

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...