![]() |
| Me with my Mother about 1980 |
At this time of my life (the end or my "Final Act") I have been doing a lot of reflection of my past eighty-one years of life. I've decided to write about those who have had a positive influence in my life. I was considering writing about those bad people who have not had a positive influence but decided against going that route. They are best forgotten, fading in the mists of time. But those kind folks who helped me in my life, I want them remember forever. So here goes.
There have been many people who have been kind and helpful to me in my life but there is a handful who have profoundly influenced me and also, by their kind and caring actions, help to provide me with the wonderful life I have had.....so far. I plan to live a few more years but if I should die tomorrow, at least I will have recorded for history these fine people who saw the good and potential in me and helped me towards leading the right path. This will have to be a multiple series of blog posts, one for each hero.
First and foremost in my life was, of course, my Mother.
My Mother wasn't perfect but to me and my two younger brothers we will always remained convinced that we literally had the Best Mother In The World. I remember how shocked I was when in my twenties I was talking with one of my friends in a gay bar and he brought up how awful his mother was. At first I couldn't process what he was saying. I just assumed everyone had a great mother like my brothers and I had. Apparently not. That was the first time I realized how blessed my brothers and I were to have a mother such as we had.
Our Mother didn't have an easy time growing up. Her mother died in childbirth before my Mother was two years old. She was the youngest of five children. She had a "Cinderella" childhood, wicked step-mother and all. Philandering and abusive father. The whole package. She married my father when she was only sixteen to "get away from that mess" as my father said to her when he proposed to her. She was still in high school. They ran off to Elkton Maryland to get married one weekend. The following Monday she returned to her classes at school. She was a senior in high school. Her father found out she got married over the weekend and, of course, beat her. She gathered up her meager belongings and she and my father moved to a rented small house in the country. No running water, indoor plumbing or electricity. But she was away from "that mess" as my father called it.
![]() |
| Betty Hadfield - 1939 - high school student |
My Mother, although she had not the most desirable childhood growing up experience, always managed to project a happy demeanor. She never wore much makeup, she didn't need to because she had a natural beauty. People always remarked on her smile. "What a beautiful smile Betty has!" My Mother also had a beautiful head of hair which was always remarked upon. I like to think I inherited both her smile and lush brown hair. My father was blond as were both of my younger brothers. Of course I was my Mom's favorite although she would never admit that fact. She always said she loved "all her boys equally" which actually she did. But everyone knew I was the FAV.
![]() |
My father with my pregnant (with me) Mother during one of his layovers from his World War II cross country truck driving job. My father wasn't in the service during the war because he was classified a "4-F" because of a head injury during his childhood. When he was nine years old he and his brothers were chopping wood with an ax at their then home in the mountain hills of western North Carolina (hillbilly country, which my father was his hole life, a hillbilly) and the ax blade flew off and became imbedded in the back of his head. He was rushed to the Johnson City Hospital in the back of a donkey cart (no cars in those mountains then in 1927). He survived but had permanent brain injury. He was healthy enough to contribute to the war effort though by driving a truck during the war cross country to deliver supplies. During those trips he had "encounters." I probably have half brothers and sisters that I've never met. But that's another whole story. Real life is always more interesting than made up Hollywood drivel.
Then came that day in November of 1941 that yours truly made his grand entrance into this world. See that look on my face? It's almost saying "What am I doing here?" Thus I began another one of my lives. Oh yes, I believe in reincarnation. Only thing that makes sense to me. Especially now that I'm coming to the end of this existence on this planet. Maybe I'll be reborn on another planet the next time. Again, a subject for another blog.
Mom's "handful" of three boys, each a year apart. Two little blond boys who took after their father and one little dark haired boy (me) who took after my Mother. We were affectionately known as "The Three Terrors". Of course I was the ringleader. Sadly my youngest brother died this past year. He's waiting for me in Heaven. At least that's what he told me before he left (he was a pastor).
Me (seated) with my Mother and brother Isaac (standing). I'm devouring a hoagie (25 cents each then!) at our rent free apartment on Boot Road. My Mother was more of a mother to me and Isaac, she was our best friend. She was one of the gang. She also wanted us to be educated. Checkout that encyclopedia set behind us. She couldn't afford to send us to college (although I wanted to go very badly), she couldn't even afford that encyclopedia set but she got it anyway from one of those traveling encyclopedia salesmen on a monthly payment billing. Those curtains? Plastic. What we lacked in material possessions we had in love and security. My Mother more than made up for my father's indifference to his children. I don't think he ever wanted children. He didn't like me, I think that was because I was my Mother's favorite and he was always very jealous of her. Again, another whole story for another blog post. Life is so complicated isn't it?
![]() |
| My mother and father 1986 Hibernia Park, Coatesville, PA |
My mother and father were married sixty years. He died in 2000 from lung cancer. He smoked his whole life. He was told to stop smoking but he didn't. He was stubborn.
![]() |
| Mom receiving her 25 year award from Pepperridge Farms |
I miss both of them so much. My Aunt Mable was also a very happy person. In fact I took her with me when I won a trip to DisneyWorld in 2000. Both of them are gone now and the world is a little less cheerful because of that fact.
| Mom at 85 years old in 2008 |
It was almost like she had no purpose to live any more. She lived at the family home with my divorced brother Isaac for several years but eventually she needed more care so we moved her to my other brother's home in South Carolina. She didn't want to go but he had a mother-in-law apartment which his mother-in-law lived in for 29 years. He was a care pastor so he knew all about caring for an elderly parent.















2 comments:
You were a lucky child to have such a good mother as you describe. Mine was ‘ok’ but certainly didn’t match up to yours. I enjoyed reading about your memories of her, thank you.
Jim
Jim,
As I said in my post, I just assumed most everybody had a mother like I did. It was somewhat of a shock to me when I got away from home and discovered that not all mothers were like mine. Now my father that's another whole story. Not good. I was envious of others when I heard what a good relationship they had with their father I did not have a good relationship with my father. I'll always remember what my good friend Larry said about my father. He said "He scares me." I told Larry, "He scares me too." an answer which I think surprised Larry but it was true. My father did scare me. At times I wondered if he ws really my father. But then as I grew up and resembled him in physical appearance as well as mannerisms I realized I was his son. Darn!
Ron
Post a Comment