Continuing with my previous unpopular post about Hollywood casting lies, there is a new trend I'm noticing in Hollywood casting deceit.
Now I know I'm dipping my big toe in dangerous territory during our politically correct of "woke" culture but what's up with casting black actors into white roles? I'm all for diversity, diversity that has been lacking for far too long in the film industry, but what's the deal with the new series "Great Expectations?" I haven't watch the new series, nor will I, but I have seen the previews. Who knew there were that many blacks living in England during Dickens time. Maybe, but I don't think so.
Most if not all of the current movies these days cast minority actors in roles other than domestic servants are criminals. Good! It's about time Hollywood. But please, don't go overboard and cast minority actors in roles that are obviously white. A black Hitler?
While Hollywood produces much entertainment, which is part of our culture of recreation, they do tend to go overboard. Just as in the past ALL the roles were for white people, heterosexual white people, now sometimes they tend to go overboard to prove that they are not racist. Of course I realize I will probably be called racist by some who read this post because I even dare to address the elephant in the room.
Lately there has been a spate of movies about African warrior queens and other black themed movies. What's next? Casting a white actor as an African slave?
We live in a multicultural society. There is beauty in both black and white and everything in between. Even hillbillies. Yes, I said "hillbillies", which is my paternal heritage. My father was a real hillbilly from the hills (Pisgah Mountains) of western North Carolina. My Mom's line is from Pennsylvania Quakers. She even remembers her aunts and uncles still talking with "thees" and "thous" when she was a child. What does that make me? "Half a hillbilly" as my father used to call me. I'm also gay and white. Talk about being out of favor these days. There is one thing I can be sure of, Hollywood will never cast a hillbilly as "Pip" in Great Expectations."
![]() |
| Three of my hillbilly uncles - two boys on far right my Uncles Bruce and Tip and far left my Uncle Sam. Wringer washing machines always on the front porch. Photo take around 1938 |


5 comments:
Hello Ron,
Watch out you may just get "canceled." I jest.
"The meaning of WOKE is aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)." Merriam-Webster.
I believe in diversity in casting as pertaining to the time period being depicted. Granted there were Black folk in all time periods of history. And there were a portion that were very successful but their stories were never told until now-Greenwood Village in Tulsa, Rosewood, Florida, Elaine, Arkansas, and more--
https://www.bet.com/article/fqn50c/five-other-race-massacres-that-devastated-black-america
The whitewashing of American-in all aspects of our society-is more than we think. This pertains to African Americans, Indigenous Peoples, and others.
I would encourage casting in a more accurate way and not be afraid of the facts in the specific time period. It just leads to a fuller, honest story.
"Lately there has been a spate of movies about African warrior queens and other black themed movies. What's next? Casting a white actor as an African slave?" These movies are fiction, escapism. "They are set set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe focusing on the fictitious Kingdom of Wakanda and its hero/king Black Panther." -Google. Why should White people have all the fun in DC comic movies and such. I believe the word we are looking for representation/equal time.
I agree we should depict races, classes... accurately for the period. To add the prevailing thought of society as well to push to story forward. A good example of this is the PBS show Grantchester. They do a good job of intertwining fiction with fact. The show depicts a gay couple in the early 1950's forward. The depiction for that time period is that society was moving away from gays being villainized to a more accepting view. The show has African-American characters and deals with racism. The program also deals with the fact that women are moving away from being kept in the home to obtaining meaningful work that they can use their true talents besides being just a housewife. The show is balanced and strives to be accurate for that time period. Great writing and researching of the facts for the 50's into the 60's.
Now we could go into the recent talk of straight actors portraying gay characters and vice versa. My stance has always been selecting the better actor for the role to bring the writers vison to life.
I trust that my thought process has been clear and understandable.
Your readers enjoy "half a hillbilly" Ron.
Best,
Victor
While the English censuses didn't start taking note of race before 1900, we know Blacks were living in England in the Tudor period. Parish records indicate that there were at least 20,000 Blacks living in London by 1700, many married to English people. Most were servants, but some had their own businesses like bakeries and taverns. You have to remember that England's economy was based on international sea-trade, and the population especially of its ports reflected that.
Amanda,
These are facts that I didn't know. Thanks for the information.
Ron
Victor,
You make a very good point by stating that gay couples didn't "exist" until recently. As we both know gay couples and gay people have been throughout history, just not depicted in entertainment venues except as prevert and sad people who were always either killed or committed suicide at the end of the story or movie.
Ron
Hi Ron. A late addition, but when I read this, I thought of your post. The link is to a NYTimes article about the artist Afro Hispanic Juan De Pareja, who is better known by his association with the well known white painter Velazquez.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/arts/design/juan-de-pareja-met-museum-velasquez-painter.html?searchResultPosition=1
The article discusses the prevalence of blacks in Spain, and the Iberian peninsula, and how since it was not talked about, people assume they weren’t there. The American Arturo Schomburg did a lot of work to try to counteract this omission of blacks in US history and culture.
Hope you are feeling good, and that you and Bill are able to continue peacefully. Newer reader Olivia
Post a Comment