Friday, February 19, 2016

Tear Down

My friend Ed Cage during better days, when the sun shone

Last year on January 27th, my longtime friend (since 1956) friend Ed Cage died.  


Ed, near the last time I saw him at his house - he was very ill with cancer

I've known Ed since high school. Ed was my longest gay friend. And by the way, strictly platonic for those of you who are wondering. My friend Larry is my longest straight friend.  Notice that I don't say "oldest" although both of them are/were my same age.


Me and Ed during one of my many visits to his house on Laurel Street

Ed lived in Pennsylvania.  He also had a home in Rehoboth Beach at 306 Laurel Street.  He purchased his home in Rehoboth beach with proceeds from his lottery winnings, which was interesting because Ed was a millionaire through inheritance.  Isn't that often the case? The guy with money wins more but I digress.



Ed in his renovated kitchen - I loved that kitchen - Ed did too - all blue and white and lots of light with the skylight which I suggested he put in
Ed had a nice, cozy home right in the heart of Rehoboth Beach.  I had the opportunity to stay at his place in 2005 while I was scoping out my possibilities for moving to Delaware.  While I knew I couldn't afford to live in Rehoboth Beach proper, I did have the opportunity to check out where I wanted to live in this area.  I quickly found out that I didn't want to live in Rehoboth Beach because I didn't want to contend with the summertime traffic.  But while I stayed at Ed's (which was in the winter), I enjoyed my stay.


Ed's breakfast nook in his kitchen - we exchanged much gossip here

Ed's blue and white kitchen bathed in natural light that I so loved - Ed did too

I often visited Ed when he came down for the weekend.  It was a comfort to me to know that I could call Ed anytime and ask him if he wanted to go out for dinner.  Ed almost always was available.  


Me at Ed's breakfast nook - I was always welcomed

When Ed died last year I told Bill "Watch, when they sell Ed's house they'll tear it down".  For you see folks, these days when someone dies in the cottage areas of Rehoboth Beach proper, their homes are almost always a tear down.  In their place goes one of the ever increasing mini hotels, which are rapidly destroying the unique character of downtown Rehoboth.  It's a shame. 

This morning I took Bill on one of our thrift store tours.  On the way back I said to Bill "Let's go into Rehoboth and see if they tore down Ed's house."  Well folks, guess what.  The sign was out front.  The demolition is about to begin.  


Ed's now vacant house this morning - the red sign out in front is the notice of demolition

306 Laurel Street, Rehoboth Beach - soon to be gone and replaced with a mini-hotel

The view of Ed's kitchen from the back this morning - the sun still shines through 
Bill looking in the kitchen

Bill and me this morning at Ed's house - his kitchen behind us

Ah, the fond memories of all those times I visited Ed.  Ed did have a very comfy house.  What is a shame, that he just had his whole kitchen redone a few years ago.  I loved that house.

Hey Ed, why didn't you just leave your house to me? I could have saved it.


13 comments:

  1. Ed's house had character.

    Out with the old...in with the (high-priced) crap...

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      Ed's house did have character. I loved that house. It was just right for a single person. Now it will be a mini-hotel, with a pool to disturb the neighbors and make a lot of money for the new owners. Such is the price of "progress".
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It's certainly too bad Ed didn't leave his house to you. I really like the kitchen, too. It doesn't make sense that one would want to disturb the neighborhood by putting in vacation properties, aside from greed. The neighborhood will be changed and there's nothing those that live there can do about it. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      Almost every time someone dies in that Rehoboth Beach cottage neighborhood, the heirs sell the property, and many times it is subdivided if they can get a few more bucks out of it. The whole character of Rehoboth Beach is slowing being destroyed and being replaced by the greed monsters.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron - inadvertently a sad post. First I liked Ed tho only met him a couple of times. And the house with it's memories is going. Well, not the memories. But it was a nice house architecturally I thought. Lots of window to wall ratio and a good floor plan from what I saw. But maybe something really good will take it's place. I'm interested to see what happens.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Ed had a lovely, cozy house just right for a retiree. It's a shame it is being torn down but I'm not surprised.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Such a sad thing!!! They do it to line their pockets!! At least you have good memories of Ed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      I'll always have my memories. No one can take those lovely memories away from me.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Without sounding like a broken record your picture collection/memories amazes me! Reminds me of my parents "hood" Pine Knowl Shores NC. Cottages are being replaced with mega mansions on stilts by the summer folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Thank you so much! I just wish I had taken many more photos of my journey through life. There are large swaths where I didn't take any at all. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I was too busy living and just trying to survive. However, I'm glad I did take some though and have those wonderful memories documented. The sad thing is that when I die all those photos will probably end up in the trash. But, since I won't be aware of anything, it probably doesn't matter anyway. But for now I can share and will enjoy and, hopefully, others will too.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Did you see in the property transfers it sold for $630,000 last month. That's a lot of money for a tear down. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thanks for this information! I was wondering how much Ed's property sold for. But I have to tell you this, Ed is probably rolling over in his grave knowing that his property ONLY sold for $630,000. He thought it was worth at least $800,000.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. indeed sad, to hear of someone's death. sorry.

    ReplyDelete