Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Daily Walk




Tomorrow will mark the one year anniversary when I tripped on frozen water from a drainpipe as I was leaving work at the hotel at 11:13 PM and fell, tearing my left leg quadricep muscles.  Thus I began a months period of recovery after surgery to reattach my severed quadricep muscles.  Regular readers of this blog know what a long and arduous recovery I endured.  Thank goodness for Bill, if not for him I would have been in a rehab facility because I could not walk for twelve weeks.  

These days I can walk.  I love walking.  Walking has always been my one treasure.  

Not jogging.




Not swimming.




Not touch football.




Not extreme sports.




Not biking.




Not surfing.




Not skate boarding.




Walking folks.  That has always been my strength.  My advantage over most folks I know who don't like to walk.  

Thus, during my period of rehabilitation I lost much of my leg muscles, both legs.  I also put on an unwanted ten pounds of flab around my middle.  There goes my youthful boyishness, a personal trait that I also treasured and had advantage over most of my contemporaries.  Ah well,  I guess it was time since I AM 74 years old.  And folks, 74 years old is seriously in Old Man Territory.  But I don't complain.  It is what it is and to tell you the truth folks, I'm having the best time of my life right now.

Occasionally I think of my youthful years, supposedly the best years of my life.  Tell you what folks.  Much of my day was spent commuting back and forth to work at my job at Mellon Bank in Philadelphia.  So often, when I was on that hour plus ride on the train, going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, I thought "One day my life will be my own and I will enjoy the sunlight of the day."  Folks, that day is here.  Those days are here.  Sure, different physical ailments are waiting at my door, some sneaking in but overall, everyday I do what I want to do.  

I don't think there is any greater pleasure than to wake up in the morning and decide to turn over and take another half hour (or more) of sleep.  To sit in my home office, with the morning sun streaming through the window (as it is now), to take couple hours playing online Scrabble on Facebook, updating my blog, taking Bill for a ride, having a home prepared lunch, taking an afternoon nap, taking another walk in the afternoon, then having a home prepared supper, watching my political talking heads shows on MSNBC, and talking to my friends Pat and Larry on FaceTime.

I don't go out at night anymore except to work at the hotel two nights a week, a job which I also love.  I'm not killing myself working but working on my own schedule at a job that I love.  

So as I have written many times before on this blog, this is the best time of my life folks.  How long it will last?  I don't know but I can tell you this folks without reservation, I am loving my life right now.

Have a great day!!!

8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I haven't seen any sign that you actually ere banned from YouTube. You obviously have the video with this posting on YouTube, and the video you made in Hollywood, the one you said got you banned, is also still available and playable on YouTube. Is everything back to normal with YouTube then? This year it has been my turn to miss walking. Of course, I don't have a leg problem laying me up, but the sicknesses, weather and my wife's medical procedure and pneumonia have put me under house arrest. I am hoping to get back to it soon, especially since I have put weight back on after working so hard last year to get rid of it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Yesterday I couldn't get on to You Tube at all. Also, all my You Tube videos were off my blogs. Today I can get into You Tube and my videos are back. I don't know what happened. But I will be more careful in the future about what I post to You Tube. But one things bothers me, the video I posted on the blog that started the problem was taken in a public space, not a concert. Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" was playing in the background. What am I supposed to do when making a video? Too much restriction in our politically correct environment.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. The issue is copyright royalties, the music industry watches YouTube and others like a hawk looking for an opportunity to collect another nickle. The hosting sites have to have tough policies, or they get sued for hosting the content.

      Delete
    3. Getting older is not so bad, I sometimes think, if I had known when I was 20 what I know now - I'd have still been miserable at 20.

      Delete
    4. David,
      Excellent comment about You Tube responding to the music industry watching You Tube like a haw looking or an opportunity to collect another nickel. That is exactly what this is all about. For Chrissakes, I made a personal video in a public space that just happen to have a song by Adele playing in the background. It's not like I was at her concert. I understand that the hosting site (You Tube) has to have tough policies or else they get sued.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. no more falling please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      These days I am VERY careful, believe me.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    You earned and deserve the life you have now! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete