Monday, February 29, 2016

My Oscar Rant



Sly and wife Jennifer Flavin displaying the current fashion statement in Hollywood - skinny legged pants for the guys and the grown slip up to the hip - ah Hollywood!
Two years ago I stopped watching the Oscars.  I stopped watching because I couldn't stand listening to the acceptances speeches.  You all know what I'm talking about, acceptance speeches by most Oscar winners that are a long and boring recitation of "Thank you's" to just about everyone they ever encountered in their lives.  Sometimes it seems the only persons they left out was you and me, which isn't right because you know that WE are the ones who make their life of make believe possible.

So what did I do yesterday?  I got myself comfortable in the Tipton Cinema, in front of my 60-inch Samsung high definition TV with surround sound and . . . . watched. 

Oh my God folks, it was painful.  This was supposed to be the year that the winners were going to give acceptance speeches while a scroll rolled on the bottom of the screen with all those folks who "helped" them win their Oscars.  


Pharrell Williams - ready for a flood

Even so, the first person who won an Oscar, she couldn't help herself and, even as the scroll rolled at the bottom of the screen she started to thank all those folks who "were responsible" for her Oscar win.  She even mentioned that she expected the scroll to appear on the big screen behind her while she was bathing in her ego on the Oscar stage and worldwide TV coverage of TWO BILLION people LOOKING AT HER. 



What is it with these people? I love Hollywood and all the magic it represents. But this is what puzzles me. Why is all this talent so incapable of giving a proper acceptance speech instead of just reciting a litany of everyone they worked with on the film and their family, including children down to one week old? Even those who received Oscars for screen play are INCAPABLE of originality.


Kerry Washington in leather and silk - sorry Kerry, doesn't work

Check out this woman who won for costumes on "Mad Max - Fury Road" (which won a LOT of Oscars, I'm going to have to check out this movie).  
Remember my posting of yesterday with Jackie Gleason calling Donald Trump "BLABBERMOUTH!"?  God, the band had to play this woman off the stage.  


Eddie Redmayne with the current men's fashion - skinny legged pants - lovely, just lovely

What is it with these Hollywood types, especially the ones behind the scenes who once they get on that stage in front of two billion people, think that they're receiving an award for curing cancer?  Hey folks, you're working in an "industry" (and don't you love it when they call movie making "industry" like they're making cars?) that is make believe.  It's entertainment guys, make believe.  A "business" that the rest of us schlubs can only dream of have THAT easy life.  Oh sure, I hear the complaints from the actors that they "work hard" because they have to get up early for a shoot.  Poor babies.  Seems to me I remember getting up at 4:30 AM for YEARS to commute to my banking job in Philly. Nobody gave me an award for "working hard in the industry."  



  Go home lady. You've had your moment.

What really grates me in these Oscar acceptance speeches are those self involved egotists who JUST CAN'T WAIT to thank their children.  But I have to admit this guy takes the cake last night.  Look at the video below and see how he JUST CAN'T WAIT to thank his ONE WEEK OLD BABY.




 

 Hey Behind the Scenes Oscar Winner, NO ONE CARES.  Look at how he can hardly contain himself.  Probably worried that the band would drown him out before he had a chance to indulge in this ultimate his It's All About Me Moment.  Do you think these people realize what fools they make out of themselves?

And here is my last rant.  Every Oscar telecast, there is the Ponytail.  What?  You didn't have time to get a haircut?  This is your Statement?


 Folks, I could only take about an hour and a half into the Oscar show last night.  I just could NOT TAKE yet another Oscar winner thanking EVERYONE they ever ran across in their ENTIRE life, plus their family even down to one week old babies.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:

WHAT IS IT WITH THESE PEOPLE?  

So much talent (which I admit, being a longtime Hollywood fan) but when they engage in one of these orgies of self congratulations they become so stupid and incapable of an original and respectful (to the views) acceptance speech?  

Kate Winslet dressed in a black garbage bag at the Oscars last night



25 comments:

  1. I don't even know who many of them are anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      Hey, I don't either! A sure sign I'm old. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I have to say I did like Jenny Bevan's speech. She's had her moment twice actually--once at the Bafta's and now here at the Oscar's. Like you, I think that the speeches could be a bit spiffier, in the main, and I wish that there would be more time allotted to those who are giving speeches. It would have saved tons of time to cut out the yuk-yuks a la Oscars-So-White videos with Chris Rock and Whoopie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      I don't mind speeches, in fact I'm interested in hearing those speeches. What drives me up the wall are those acceptances speeches thanking all these anonymous people who ever interacted with their lives. And I want to scream when when I hear them thank their children and dead parents school teachers. GIVE.ME.A.BREAK. Thank goodness I missed the "yuk-yuk" videos with Chris Rock and Whoopie, playing the the White Guilt of the oh so white Oscars.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I didn't watch the Oscars this year and - from your description and my own past experiences - I'm not sorry. The first two speech videos that you posted are blocked for copyright reasons, but the other two were enough. It never fails to amaze me that all of these Hollywood Libs - who scoff at family values - are the first ones to shove their families in our faces during the acceptance speeches.

    Does anyone recall the eloquent speech Vivian Leigh gave when she won the Oscar for GWTW? Those days of coherent sentences and good grammar are gone forever.

    And, while I'm on a roll, I'm TIRED of hearing the stale speeches about how "Hollywood is racist"
    Gimme a frickin' break!

    Skinny legged pants?? Never, never, NEVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      This year at the Oscars was major White Guilt time. And of course the old brainless excuse came out "We're all guilty of racism" was pushed by the host, Chris Rock. Thank God I missed his idiotic move to sell Girl Scout cookies from his black daughters to the white audience. I don't think I'll ever watch the Oscars again. Most of the winners just cannot help themselves when they win an Oscar they go into their "I was to thank . . . . . . . . " and then start reciting names that mean nothing to the audience. I guess they're worried they'll never work again if they fail to mentioned a name. Hey, isn't that what the credits are for at the end of the movie they're in? Believe me Jon, you didn't miss anything by not watching this year's Oscar ceremonies. And the skinny legged pants? First thing I noticed when Pat and I went to Hollywood last year. WTF is this I thought? Looked like they were all wearing ballet tights. Uh huh, very "attractive". Ah fashion, no thank you. I'll stay with my jeans with loose (and comfortable) leggings.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I don't watch the Oscars or any award shows, with the possible exception of the Tonys. I think it is the Tonys, and I sometimes watch that because they do a lot of actually scenes and numbers from the shows much more than just thanking people. The Oscars use to show more bits from the films years ago, but now they do too much lecturing for political stands.

    The thank yous are political as well. If they fail to thank the right people they may not work again.

    To make you happy, I have read that Skinney Pants are now out and fat clothes are in.

    Now I just want to thank Google and Blogger for letting me make this moment, as well as Al Gore for inventing the internet and of course my cat, Kerouac, who is lying in my lap encouraging me to write this.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      And I want to thank Miss Hurlock, Mirs. Warren and especially my dog Horace for making it possible for me to be where I am today. Now I can take my Skinny Pants off.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    By the way, half the videos you included did not play. They displayed a message they were blocked due to copyrights.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      You Tube being awfully cautious again. I think those videos that I posted has the theme song of "Mad Max - Fury Road"
      playing in the background as the winners descended the stage.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:06 PM

    (yawn)

    Boring! Who cares what you think! If you don't like it, don't watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your life, your big reason to exist, to write thoughtless and dull comments on what you call boring posts? Take your own inane advice, if you think the Blog is boring don't read it. -- Lar.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous - there's nothing more "boring" than anonymous closet creeps who get a thrill out of reading blogs that they "loathe" and then eagerly waiting to see a response to their inane comments.
      It's undoubtedly one of the same Lurkers who loves to leave negative comments on YouTube
      (I'm in a combative mood today)

      Delete
    3. You are so right Jon, nothing is more "boring" than "anonymous closet creeps" who troll blogs and leave negative comments to get a rise. I receive my fair share but I rarely post them but this one I made an exception. I actually laughed out loud when I read his/her hateful little comment, which was just about as original as those Oscar acceptance speeches who thank everyone who ever came into their lives. I agree with you, why do the "Anonymous" of this world read my blog if they hate it so much? I have the answer, because they enjoy it.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - Larry's comment broke me up. I'm glad Kerouac got a nod. The only thing I'm thinking now is when we go to LA you must try a pair of skinny leg pants on. LOL Also - I haven't seen Spotlight but heard it's such a good film. So happy it took film of the year. It seemed inevitable that LD would take best actor - but as I couldn't see all the hype surrounding The Revenant I think it's diminished number of oscars compared to it's nominations made sense.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Every year the Hollywood Elite choose the prestige film and this year it was "The Revenent". I was glad we saw it and where we saw it (8000 Sunset Boulevard) but like you, I think this movie was vastly overrated. But that's the way it is in Hollywood World. I agree with you I think all the hoopla about this film, which made significant changes to the true story it was based on, has diminished the Oscars by the excessive number of Oscar nominations it received.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Glenn and I have lived here in beautiful HOLLYWOOD since we were kids, 45 years plus. It's crazy, it's fun, and we love it. We never get bored and always get excited when we see a star at the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I have always loved Hollywood too. That's why Pat and I enjoy our annual trips to Hollywood so much. However, we have yet to meet or even see a star but we will soon I'm sure. Don't misunderstand my blog posting, I was only complaining about the boring acceptances speeches that thank just about everyone who has ever been involved in their lives and some who weren't (like God). One would think that the Hollywood people, who are talented in so many ways would be more original (and respectful of their fans) and cut back on the number of people they have to thank for their great success in winning an Oscar. Don't they understand how boring it is to hear a long list of names from the winners? What really galls me is when they thank their kids and babies. What did they have anything to do with their winning an Oscar, especially a one week old baby as an Oscar winner thanked during this last show? I love Hollywood and look forward to seeing the Beautiful People, but come on folks, get a clue.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. These over-long, include-everyone speeches are also an attempt to emphasis their 'modesty', Ron - but it fools nobody, except maybe themselves.

      Delete
  9. Luckily, the time zone difference never fits with my sleep schedules so I'm never tempted to watch. I just rely on others - yes, like you, Ron - to give me the low-down on what I missed, and it sounds like, as per usual, it was really worth the missing.
    But you're so right on those acceptance speeches - Who the f*ck gives a sh*t? They are only afraid that they'll have to apologise to someone they forgot to thank - so why not make it easy on us all and just not bother to thank ANYONE?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I used to like watching the Beautiful People during the Oscar telecasts and, of course am interested in who wins but I just cannot stand listening to the seemingly endless list of anonymous names that all too many Oscar winners feel hell bent on mentioning. You are right, most of them are terrified that they'll forget to mention someone's name and thus affect their future employment. It continues to amaze me that the Oscar winners, who obviously have a lot of talent, more than I'll ever have, can't come up with something more original than thanking just about everyone who they ever interacted with in their lives. But what really gets to me is when they thank their children and dead parents for having the foresight to having them born. So boring. However, I don't think they will ever change. Their egos are way too large to be capable of being humble. There are a few exceptions but very few.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. We watch the Oscar event but we record it and do a lot of fast forward. Next time you are in Hollywood find out who will be getting a star on the 'walk of fame'. Lately there is nearly one celeb a week. You may have a chance to see a star then. There are a few other places to look for them, I'll tell you about those places later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      That's what I should have done, fast forward. Almost all TV I watch I DVR so I can fast forward through the commercials. Hey, thanks for the tip on checking who is going to be on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. We plan to visit Hollywood in late February next year. I will definitely check to see if any stars are scheduled for their immortality on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I would love to see a star in person. However, I did see Drew Carey this last time (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  11. I know it is too early to start giving you some info on places to see STARS but I did want to mention and I will mention it again later this year, go on line and look up the Warner Brothers VIP back lot tour. It one of the best tours in town. If there is filming going on some where on the lot you will usually get to see , up close, a celeb/star' It is not at all like the crazy Universal studio tour, which, by the way we just love, we can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I really appreciate your advice on the places to see STARS. The Warner Brothers VIP back lot tour sounds great. We have yet to do a tour but the next time I will insist. I want to do the Paramount tour and the Universal tour. Thanks again Mike.
      Ron

      Delete