Friday, March 06, 2009

The Recession Hits Home




It was just a matter of time until this recession became personal. That happened last night when my manager at the hotel where I work informed me that my hours will be cut in half. Instead of work Mondays and Thursdays on the 3 to 11 PM shift, I will now only work the Monday night shift. This change in hours will continue until business picks up at the hotel. My co-worker, the other retired “elderly gentleman who works part-time” also had his hours cut in half. I know the owner of the hotel was reluctant to make these changes but he had little choice. My co-worker and I can manage because we have other sources of income (retirement pensions and Social Security.) The full-time employees don’t, their only source of income is their job. Of course I will have to do a little belt tightening. Maybe I won’t go out to dinner as often or buy a new passel of books from Amazon.com. I’ll survive.

Actually, yesterday was a “Bad news, good news” kind of day. I also received a phone call from the Census Bureau. Right now we’re playing telephone tag but I suspect they’re calling as a result of the Census Bureau worker application test that I took last month. Hopefully they’re offering me a job. I’ve always been interesting in the census because of my work in genealogy research. When I read about Census Bureau jobs in my AARP magazine, I thought “Why not?” It seemed like a job I would be interested in and I can certainly use the extra income. I won’t mind working the odd hours (evenings and weekends.) Seems like a no brainer to me. The only downside would be if I would have to work in a neighborhood that is either too far away from me or a different socio-economic group than I am. Not to seem stuck up or priggish, but it would not interest me to travel all way to Milford or Dagsboro and exploring strange neighborhoods with potential unknown dangers. Nor would I be interested in a supervisory position. I’ve had just about all the supervisory positions I need for my lifetime, thank you. It’s just about all I can do to manage myself and Bill.

The snow is still on the ground outside but it is melting rapidly. 70’s are forecast today. Maybe by the end of the day this dirty, nasty snow will be gone. Even though the economy is falling all around us, I am thankful for where I am now. Just a few weeks ago a friend informed us that he had “the big C.” One never knows when one’s number will turn up. I may have lost hours at my job yesterday, thus closing one door. However, another door may open soon for me. As long as I have my health I have hope. I got some aches and pains and I may not look as pretty as I did thirty years ago but I still have few days ahead of me. I have my friends, family and home and health. I am rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment