Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Another Full Plate Day




So whatever happened to retirement and all this free time I was supposed to have? I often talk with some of my other retired friends about how we are busier than ever in our “retirement.” The common refrain is “How did we have time to do all that we do now when we were working fulltime?” To think that at one time I was commuting to my job in Philadelphia spending at least two hours a day on the train doing nothing except reading, listening to my Walkman (yes, it was that long ago) and napping.

Today’s schedule looks like this:

9:40 Appointment at the Georgetown VA
11:00 Go to work at the Inn to fill in for Mike who is going to a food fair for Sysco (Slower Lower couldn’t survive without Sysco)
3:00 Return home and update my address list for my 50th high school class reunion

Yesterday Bill took me to my dental appointment in Dover. It was for a fitting of a new partial plate in the upper left side of my mouth. That set me back another thou. While we were up in Dover we stimulated the economy by dropping dollars in Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club. Say what you will about Wal-Mart but they do offer the best prices for the best products. I don’t lay awake at night racked by guilt because they don’t offer domestic partner benefits. I shop where my dollars go the farthest. Just as I’m not moving out of the state of Delaware because they won’t pass the anti-discrimination bill nor offer same sex marriages, I will not discontinue shopping at Wal-Mart.

At lunch yesterday I read in the local newspaper (the Cape Gazette) where the town of Lewes is raising property taxes 25 percent. Now there is a way to stimulate the economy. Kick the peeps when they’re down. Talk about squeezing blood from a stone. Also in the paper was a story about the town of Milton beginning a property reassessment. You know what that means, higher taxes. Sure, they say some reassessed properties will have a lower tax bill. Uh huh. When is the last time you heard of a local municipality lowering property taxes? And just for good measure, Tidewater, our local water company will conduct public hearings in regards to their proposed 33 per cent increase in water utility rates. Yipper. That’s what you do when the economy is down……raise taxes and utility bills. God forbid that the employees of the local government and utility companies might have to pay part of their medical insurance coverage.

I still haven’t heard anything from the Census Bureau as to where I am to begin taking census class training. When I was offered the job of census enumerator a couple of weeks ago I was told classes were to begin March 30th. I haven’t heard a thing since. March 30th is this Monday. I don’t have a good feeling about this. While I could use the extra money and the job sounds interesting, I don’t know if I want to go chasing after some minion at the Census Bureau to find out where I am to begin training. I could probably make better use of my time around the house unpacking the remaining boxes from my move down here a year and half ago. And then there is the springtime yard work. So far this spring we’ve had very few warm days. This morning the temperature was 28 degrees. Not conducive to yard work, especially when the wind is whipping around my head and shoulders.

Time is running out, especially this morning. I have to end this posting and get ready for my semi-annual visit to my nurse practitioner at the VA. If I’m not mistaken, I think it’s time for the prostate exam. What a way to start a day.

5 comments:

  1. You'll have to explain to me the "legitimization of the homosexual agenda." Does that mean approval of same sex marriages? This morning I called Senator Gary Simpson's office to urge him to vote against the bill he sponsored (SB27) against same sex marriages. My life partner of 45 years and I would like to have the same societal benefits that heterosexuals now enjoy. If that is the "homosexual agenda" then I support it. We have a family too you know. Family First.....for ALL FAMILIES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a prime example of why I moderate comments. This is a viral response not a personal note of outrage aimed at you. I get at least 4 or 5 a week.
    I won't give them a platform or bother to respond to their nuttery.
    If homosexuals are so dangerous,why are we still second class citizens? They can never answer that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why you moderate your comments. I didn't know you got that many negative ones. I look at it a little differently. I would rather let people like this expose their ignorance for the whole world to see. My position has been the same since I came out to my parent's and brothers in April of 1963:









    "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it." (said before it was fashionable or safe by the way - I was just fed up and tired of living a lie. Let the chips fall where they may. Ironically that was the beginining of my long time friendship with my former Army buddy, Big Bob. He didn't know I was gay (nor did I know he was gay) until I came out to everyone back then. So, just goes to show you coming out isn't all bad. Sometimes pleasant suprises arises from the most unexpected quarters.

    By the way, could you send me your copy of the Homosexual Agenda? I seemed to have misplaced mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    I'm sorry, but I'm with the Cajun on this. This is why I moderate, too, and that comment is the only one I have ever received that I have not published. It isn't a matter of someone disagreing with something I wrote, it is I am not going to have my Blog be a sounding board of any action or political group. That is not the purpose of my Blog and I am not going to let others use it for such causes.

    I am a bit curious if this guy sent this out to every body on Blogger or not. It is interesting that you got it and I got it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see you point and the Cajun's point in not wanting your blog to be a public platform for bigots like the one who commented on my blog. I don't have a problem with this particular comment. To me it displayed his ignorance and bigotry for all the world (or at least my blog readers) to see. Now, if I started to receive a lot of spam e-mails (like I did before), then I would have to screen the comments that appear on my blog. This one, even if I was screening it, I would let go through any just to show everyone that cretins like this still exist. I have to admit I've probably got a little too complacent living in Gayberry (aka Rehoboth Beach) and didn't realize how close the "Family Values" homophobes are living nearby. This is the same type of person who tried to physically attack me at a Congressman's town hall meeting when I stood up and announced that I was gay and took exception to the hateful remarks that were being made about gays. Harvey Milk died for standing up and unapologetically being gay. I don't want to die but I'm not going to hide from these people either.

    ReplyDelete