Wednesday, October 01, 2008

They Are Gone!




First day of my last week of working full time at the hotel. It was a good day. Tonight I'm meeting friends at the Purple Parrot in Rehoboth Beach to renew our weekly get together. While we residents all appreciate the seasonal visitors and the money they bring to our economy, it is good to get our town back. The well kept secret of the Rehoboth Beach area of Slower Lower Delaware, it that the weather is just fine after Labor Day. Don't tell Them (the tourists.) I remember well years ago what I overheard one Labor Day weekend in Provincetown, Massachusetts. I used to vacation several times over the summer at Cape Cod. I always thought the waiters and waitresses were glad to see me, the Big Tipper. What I overheard that night at the restaurant where I was stuffing my face was a waiter say to his friend another waiter "Thank God They will be gone this week!" WHAT? I felt Unwanted. To quote David Letterman when John McCain stood him up last week, I felt like an Ugly Date. I've often thought of that waiter's comment over the years. Now, for the first time I understand what he meant. Now I can say "I'm glad They are gone." The traffic, the rudeness, the rushing, the noise. GONE. We have our town back.

No comments:

Post a Comment