Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vacancy


There is a vacancy in my blue bird house. The baby blue birds are out and about. Unlike the last time, these baby blue birds apparently were ready for prime time. Some of the previous batch of baby blue birds hung around for about a week in the surrounding shrubs while Mom and Pop blue bird continued to feed them. The Purple Martins are long gone. Even the sparrows are not that much in evidence. Occasionally I see one of the sparrow little bullet bodies darting through my back yard. Yesterday there was a couple hundred cowbirds foraging through the neighborhood yards. Sure enough, there were several sparrows who invited themselves along to join the feast. Both are aggressive species so I wasn't surprised that the sparrows joined the cowbirds in their late afternoon fest.

For those of you who are regular readers of this post, you will have noticed that my postings have fallen off the past few days. After working the past weekend and Monday, I have the rest of this week off. I thought for sure I would be able to post daily. Not so. Several reasons. First, the excellent weather outside calls me. I love yard work, the sun and the fresh coastal seaside air of the eastern Delaware peninsula. The summer is coming to an end and soon I will be working full time at the hotel (August 27th.) Too soon summer will be over and the chill of autumn will be in the air followed by the cold of winter. The days are getting shorter. The time to take advantage of the waning days of summer is now. Also, we're having turmoil in the neighborhood. Drama in Delaware. There is a conflict between some homeowners and the board of directors concerning the expenditures of funds. Two days ago this conflict resulted in a face to face confrontation with insults, curses and the N word being flung about recklessly. Yesterday was a time of reconcilement. The waring parties supposedly kissed and made up. We'll see how long that lasts. However, when the N Word is tossed out there, it is very hard to undo that damage. Ironically, the person who used the N Word is gay. I witnessed him saying it. He denies it now. I told him that when he uses that word, no one hears his argument, no matter how justified his argument may be. I asked him how would he feel is someone was arguing with him and used the F Word. I don't know if that sunk in or not but I planted the thought with him. Ironically, both parties to this ugly event now say they want to sell their houses and move out of the development. Hopefully, that won't happen. As Rodney King said many years ago (after he was viciously beaten by LA cops), "Can't we all just get along together?"

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Nice post although I take minor issue with quoting Rodney King who lest we forget was arrested with a blood alcohol level over 2.0 while driving in excess of 100 m.p.h.

    ReplyDelete