Friday, August 08, 2008

Feathers


The baby bluebirds are no longer naked. See for yourself, they have developed feathers with a blue hue. I check the bluebird box every morning and I am amazed at how fast they are growing. Still not a peep out of them. When I open the front door box, the see a pair of big dark eyes looking at me. In this picture the main baby bluebird quickly took a peek and saw me then went right back to sleep. I think he's getting used to me peeking in his box every morning. Not to worry though, those big eyes open when Mama Bluebird stops by with a tasty morsel. This little bluebird will probably have a long journey ahead of him once he fully develops his feathers and is on his own. I don't know the migration patterns of bluebirds. It seems to vary by food sources and what is genetically implanted in the bluebirds. This is the second year that bluebirds have raised their young in this particular bluebird box. I have two other bluebird boxes surrounding the perimeter of my back yard but they don't seem to prefer those boxes. Perhaps they're facing in the wrong direction. Except for the occasional sparrow, those boxes remained empty during the summer season. Next year I will place another bluebird box on that side of my backyard. Perhaps I can attract another pair of mating bluebirds to raise their young. I now have other visitors to my backyard, humming birds. I don't know where their nest is but there are a lot of them. The humming bird feeder is placed on the railing of my back deck. That feeder receives a constant stream of visitors and needs to be refilled every day and a half. The humming birds are getting so used to me and Bill, that they don't even hum away now when we're out on the deck.

4 comments:

  1. Nice photos - good news of course. Papa Ron is happy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little babies are almost all grown and ready to pop out of that box today (Sunday, 8/10/2008). I'm afraid to open the box lest they fall out. Yes, I'm very happy with my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And obviously busy - no new entries which means that working full-time must have started.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked this weekend. Hotel full. Busy, crazy, nuts. I'm recovering today and I go back tonight. Then I have off the rest of the week until next Monday then I start the craziness again. Full time begins August 27th.

    ReplyDelete