Sunday, August 24, 2008

106,000 Miles




Today, as I was driving back from a friend's house in Rehoboth Beach, my odometer turned over 106,000 miles. A few minutes before my friend pointed out that I dripped oil on his brand new white cement driveway. I told him "No way!" and to prove it, I got in my car and moved it from where I was parked in front of his house to show him that I wasn't dripping oil. Oops! There, on the asphalt roadway were three telltale signs of oil. Egad. I backed up my car and there again, was another drop of oil. Okay. So I was in denial. A few weeks ago I took my car into a local garage to have them check out the oil leak. It wasn't leaking a lot but it does leak a few drops every day. The mechanic checked it out and told me (I'm terrible at this kind of thing) something about the drive train and fan or something like that. He gave me an estimate of $1,450 for them to "attempt" to fix it (no guarantee). He did mention that I had over 105,000 miles on my 1998 Subaru Forester. Hmmmmm. Is he saying my car is old (like me)? I decided not to get anything done at that time. I would live with the occasional oil leak. However, when my friend pointed out to me today the steady leak, I'm thinking maybe I better consider getting a new set of wheels to take me into the sunset years of my amazing life. My previous car was a Honda Civic. I had that car for 14 years and 56,000 miles. I keep cars a long time. I'm very fond my my red Subaru Forester. It was love at first sight when I first saw it. We've been through a lot together, me and my red Subaru Forester. I love this car but I've been thinking about getting a new car anyway before things start to go wrong like dominoes with this car. I've been thinking about a Toyota Prius from the time a friend offered me a ride in his last winter. Besides the great gas mileage, the interior of the car is roomy and comfortable. Due to my height and long legs (longer than Michael Phelps), leg room is a serious consideration for me. Also, I would like to have a GPS navigation system. A co-worker of mine also was starting to have problems with her car last week. She got it fixed when her engine light came on. Shortly thereafter something else went wrong with her car. She decided she needed dependability more than she needed to avoid putting out bucks for a new car. She took the plunge and bought a new car and is now very happy. I'm 66 years old. I figure this new car will last me at least another 10 years. That should take me well into my sunset. At least I want to do it in style. Now if I can just get it in fire engine red.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 AM

    Subaru is having some great sales now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 AM

    Subaru is having some great sales now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Sounds like a car salesman for Subaru is reading your blogs. The way you kept your car should have taken you well pass 100,000 miles. I was over 160,000 on my Saturn when that lady hit my wife and totaled it. I was figuring on at least 200,000 and we loved that car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm torn between getting a Prius and a new Subaru Forester. I love my Forester. Best car I ever had. However, you do sound like a salesman. I may just take my friend Larry's advice. I could definitely live with my current buggy for another 60,000 miles.

    ReplyDelete