Friday, December 23, 2022

Christmas Eve Eve

 

Early morning view from our garage this morning


Photo is from our garage this morning. 

I awoke at 3:30 for a bathroom visit. This morning I couldn't go back to sleep. I'm not sure why, perhaps because of a series of recent deaths of folks I liked and knew well.

One was my great aunt who lived in Johnston City, Tennessee. She was the daughter of my great grandfather Isaac Lewis who was born in 1854. I was always fascinated by that fact. Her father married twice, his second wife was forty years younger than he was.


Daisy Lewis Buckles 1915-2022

Back in 1994 when I was researching my paternal line, she was of a great help to me. She was a gracious and classy lady. We exchanged Christmas cards every year. This year I didn't get a card so I checked the Internet and sure enough I found her obituary. She was 96 years old so she had a good run. Still, I will miss her phone calls and occasional old photos that she would send to me. Rest in peace Aunt Daisy.

Another loss was my cousin Sandy. We were both the same age. We were also classmates in high school.  

Me with my maternal cousins Sandy and Elaine 1941 - 2022

Her father and my grandfather were brothers thus making us first cousins, one removed. Again, a very kind and gracious woman who helped me with my research on my maternal ancestry line. Although I feel she left this life too early, Sandy also led a good life, leaving behind four sons and many grandchildren and loving memories. Rest in peace cousin Sandy.

And the last loss was of a friend of my good friend Don McK. David and I got off to a bad start (he was a little too aggressive in letting me know he wanted to have sex with me) but he apologized for his bad (groping) behavior. I accepted his apology and became secondary friends with him.


David R.  1943-2022

I only saw David when I visited my friend Don in Philadelphia but his visits were always memorable. David did not help me one iota with my family tree research but I enjoyed his wit and friendship even though Don mentioned he could be difficult. 

All three of these fine people will not be here this Christmas. Wherever they are, I wish them ever lasting peace. 


7 comments:

Woody in Ohio said...

Ron, I too have lost friends this past year and to say it bluntly IT SUCKS. I am sorry you have experienced your loss of relatives and a "secondary" friend and can tell it has affected you very deeply. I do, however, envy you for being "blessed" with having actual living blood relatives and a husband. My uncle Elmer, my father's brother, died in 2006 and was my last immediate blood relative. Left alone I gathered close my friends and considered them my "new family". Unfortunately most have died, both the young and the old, and I can now count on one hand those "still standing". Sometimes the loss of a friend touches one much deeper than a relative. A friend, a very close and dear friend for 40 years, recently sat in my living room and we reminisced about our many years of friendship. We laughed and we cried. We even made plans for him to drive me to a few upcoming doctor's appointments. Our gab session was interupted by his wife calling wondering where he was. We hugged deeply and he kissed me on my now bald head saying "I remember when...". He took my hand into both of his and squeezed tightly saying "thanks for the afternoon of memories. I'll see you again soon. Goodbye, you old furball". Early the next afternoon I feel asleep eating lunch and was awaken by my best friend clearing away my half eaten lunch. It was now late afternoon. I said it before he could tell me. He's gone, isn't he? My best friend said "Yes. A couple of hours ago. Suddenly." Suddenly is now the way of saying death by suicide. I apparently feel asleep about that tell. I remember dreaming of him appearing and saying "you will be okay you old furball. See you soon." At that point was when I was awaken. I cried so hard for so long that my friend wanted to call for help. I asked why? Why would he do that? My physchiatrist said no one will ever know why. I must accept that. I must also stop thinking that I should have realized something was wrong because he hid it well in his mind. I should go on thinking and remembering about our friendship and happenings we shared. But it is difficult. I am fine and have reasons to wake up each day. But, I sure do miss having family and hate that my comtemporaries are passing away so quickly. Being isolated because of Covid has put a damper on socializing and making younger new friends. so I read blogs and watch Vlogs and comment from time to time. Today your new posting just made me realize, once again. that I am lucky to have a clear mind and can still get around and I am comfortable. if I keep a close watch on my money I should be okay but damn, it sure goes fast as you grow older. Most older folks like me need to give their sources of income a lot of serious thought. Assets need to be protected. The loss of a spouse or partner often means loss of income and being older makes it harder to cope with that. I am preaching again and I was only going to express my sympathy at your loss this past year. I chat too much and I don;t mean to. I do however feel etter for telling my story of a recent loss. I was going to delete it but decided that maybe what I had to say will help someone else even if it's just one person. The big story here is the BLIZZARD raging outside right now. The last one was 2008. We got at least another two days of this. I am warm and safe. I am going to bake a fruit cake favorite of mine when I sign off here. I'll eat fruitcake and sip a little wine and watch the blowing snow. It is now -3 below. A December to remember! Ron, and all who follow him, Be careful when out and about, keep safe, keep hydrated, and BE HAPPY. So says Woody in Ohio! Adieu

VRCooper said...

Dearest Ron,

It is eye-opening as we get older and begin to lose our circle of friends. Our support system. I am saddened by your loss of friends.

Denver was on the western border of the cold front that migrated from Canada. I blame Pat. Those Canadians. On Wednesday evening the temps dropped 20 plus degrees within minutes. Denver had close to 4.5 inches. Today it is 9 degrees outside with a windchill temperature of 1 degree. I don't mind the cold or the snow. I stayed in yesterday and today I went to the gym. The snow makes me feel tranquil and cuddly. Driving around today was uneventful. Get this tomorrow will be in the mid-50s. That's the snow pattern. Many folks believe Denver gets snow like in the mountains. I always say the snow has to make it over the great divide-mountains-and swoop down into Denver for us to get snow. Many times things just peter out before it reaches Denver proper. I must admit the last few months I feel like I am in my third trimester with emotions running from happy, let's kick the day, to the point of tears. Maybe I do need a proper breakdown.

I trust that you and Bill are doing as well as to be expected. Hopefully, Bil is not wandering around the house trying to fix something. Those butch men.

Well, let me get to the rest of my blogs.

Have a great Christmas. If you were closer I would pop over for a drink of egg nog and some fruitcake.

Much Warmth,

Victor
XO



Ur-spo said...

You always write lovely memory posts; good for you!

Ron said...

Woody,
Thank you again for sharing your memories. I didn't know that "suddenly dying" was a code phrase for suicide. That explains a lot. I always read the obituaries in my wide a week local newspaper and frequently I see that phrase. I think it also applies to accidents like a car accident. About suicide, is there a person who hasn't thought at least once about committing suicide just to end the pain whether that pain be physical of mental? I have. The only thing that saved me was that I couldn't do that (suicide) to my survivors. The closest I came was when I was thirty-seven years old but I just couldn't do that to my Mother. Suicide is always an option. As long as I have a reason to live, I'm not going anywhere "suddenly". Perhaps that is one reason As for now, I have plenty to live for but I can understand why others would opt out. We are each in charge of our own destiny.
I hope you have a peaceful Christmas Woody in Ohio. With the snow swirling around outside your windows. Sounds cozy.
Ron

Ron said...

VR Cooper in Denver,
Snow, snow, snow! You can have it. Not here. Very cold outside here in southern Delaware but no snow thank goodness.
Have a happy and peaceful Christmas my friend.
Ron

Ron said...

Spo,
thank you for your always kind and generous comments. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Ron

Medi Cal said...

Your cousin in the middle of the photo (wearing the pink/purple tops) resembles your mother in looks.

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...