![]() |
| Young Horace 1982 |
This Christmas I remember again the best pet I ever had, Horace the Pomeranian.
I "adopted" him from a pet store window on impulse on my way to lunch one summer day in 1982.
It was quite a surprise to Bill when he picked me up at the train station at the end of the day like he always did when I commuted from Downingtown to my bank job in center city Philadelphia. I told him "I have something in the box."
The next sixteen years were pure bliss. I had a dog who actually choose me as his daddy.
![]() |
| Adult Horace 1986 |
I never heard this wonderful, delightful orange fur ball growl or show any form of aggression. I never, never had to discipline him once for anything. He was literally my Angel on Earth.
Horace died in 1998, after having blessed my life for sixteen years.
![]() |
| Old Horace 1998 |
Maybe someday Horace I will see you again if there is a Heaven.



3 comments:
Unconditional Love is what you and Horace shared those 16 years. It is an amazing thing and we often only ever experience it in any form but once in a lifetime. Ron, now I am reminded of Patti Page singing How Much Is That Doggie In The Window. Everyone keep safe and warm as this dangerous huge winter storm carrying with it extreme low temperatures, high winds, ice and snow bears down on us. A traditional white Christmas is nice but this "artic bomb" we could do without. Ron, my friend, thanks for sharing the wonderful memory of Horace. Happy Holidays to one and all from Woody in Ohio.
Woody,
I got lucky with Horace. I was aware of the warning "don't buy puppies from a pet store because they probably came from a puppy mill." And that's where I think Horace came from. I did some research and found his parents were in East Earl, Pennsylvania, an area notorious for puppy mills. They say puppies from puppy mills often are psychologically damagage but Horace was the exception. Such a gentle and loving dog. Never a problem. He loved to go for rides. I never had a problem controlling him. Never had him on a leash but he always stayed by my side. When I took him over to my parent's three and half acres he would jump out of the car and cover the territory but instead of me keeping track of him, he keep track of me. I'll never have a dog like that again. I was very lucky.
Ron
There is no love like that of a dog.
Post a Comment