Sunday, December 26, 2021

Got Through Another Christmas

Bill's Christmas card to me

 Ah, the day after Christmas, another Christmas goes into the memory bank. Always seemed anticlimactic to me. 

I am one of those people for whom Christmas is a rough time. In the past I've been able to deal with Christmas by volunteering for work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. In the past fourteen years that was at the hotel where I worked. On Christmas Eve I would watch the 1951 movie version of "A Christmas Carol" with Alister Sim. I don't know why, but that always gave me a level of comfort, being in the hotel by myself with only a few grandparents in town to visit their married children and grandkids. They stay at the hotel because they can only take so much of their grandkids energy. These folks are invariable nice and we always have a good chat.

However, this year I'm not working at the hotel because I have to be here for Bill. 

Bill and I stopped doing the Christmas Ritual many years ago. We both like the bright multi-colored lights and an occasional Christmas song but spare both of us the "Ho! Ho! Ho!" (which I dread, there's always one person or commercial that inflects that pain on us every Christmas season). Who says "Ho! Ho! Ho!" anyway besides the phony Santas in the flood of Christmas season commercials everything from cars to Flex Seal?

Our private and personal way of celebrating the Yuletide is exchanging Christmas cards. This year I didn't get Bill a Christmas card because of his eyesight, he couldn't read it. If I could get a Christmas card that had blinking lights, he would like that (he likes light which he can see, color is even better). But a card with syrupy sentiments? Not so much. 

This year though Bill gave me a card that he made personally. Folks, this was the best card ever! Bill worked for weeks to write his feelings on the card. Bless his heart. He tries so hard. I could read his card. This man, who has devoted his life to me. To making me happy, secure and content. Few people are as fortunate as I am. 



12 comments:

Travel said...

Love

Ur-spo said...

My lap top still doesn’t allow your blog to stay stable enough for me to read let alone comment

However I’ve discovered I can get in via the email announcement with their links. I’m glad. Happy new year !!

Ron said...

Travel (David),
That's why I've been with this man for over 57 years. He wasn't my first choice but I knew 57 years ago I couldn't get a more true love. And much to my surprise, I grew to love him over the years. I know I am very fortunate.
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
Good news! I get all you postings via e-mail notifications. Unfortunately I don't always keep up with my e-mails. Again this year a New Year's resolution along with more frequent updates on my blog. A goal I intend to achieve this year.
Ron

Elle Clancy said...

The effort this must have taken him. Such love. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're both blessed to have each other in these times.

kent said...

what you both have each other is a special gift....

Ron said...

Elle,
He tried so many times to write it before the final product. He tries so hard. He has always devoted his life to me. All the trials I've put him through and he's always stuck by me. "No greater love." His main concern now is that he doesn't want to leave me. Not just because he would miss me, when you dead you don't know the difference and he understands that, but he still feels the need to protect me. I've assured him many times that I can take care of myself. Of course I would miss him terrible (and I will!) but he is so tired. I am indeed blessed to have Bill in my life. Fifty-seven years, how may people can say that?
Thank you for your comment Elle.
Ron

Ron said...

kent,
Indeed I am going to be one total mess should he leave before me. I am in a dilemma because I don't want to leave him alone. My big worry is that I would die before he does. Of course the ideal solution would be that we pass both at the same time but that's very unlikely. Trying periods here but I am so thankful that he's not in pain and knows who I am and I have him here at home where I can take care of him.
Thank you for your comment.
Ron

Jon said...

Bill's Christmas card to you is a treasure - it really touched my heart. I'm glad that you had a peaceful holiday together.

I always used to watch the 1951 Alister Sim movie "A Christmas Carol" every Christmas Eve, but this year I missed it. Things just aren't the same as they were long ago. I no longer have the Christmas spirit. Perhaps I'll watch the movie this New Year's Eve.

Take care, Ron - my very best to you and Bill always.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ron.
This devotion between you and Bill always makes my day.
You have both shown courage and strength in your lives to teach that true love conquers all.

Life is a trial but you remain a champion.

Sending you the very best wishes for the new year and remember that people always think of you in their heart.

Love and light to you all.

Jacinta.

Ron said...

Jon,
Your comment got through! I do't understand Blogger and its sometimes strange ways but it worked this time so lets rejoice! I too missed "A Christmas carol", watching it Christmas Eve. working alone at the hotel, Christmas Eve with a few very nice grandparents in the hotel, was my personal treasured tradition. I missed it this year. Perhaps next year when things return to normal (hopefully).
Thanks for your comment, I often think of you and your two feline friends out there in those Tennessee mountains staving off the woodland creatures who would like to make your humble abode their home. Happy New Year Jon!
Ron

Ron said...

Jacinta,
In my long time on this earth I think I've finally figured out what life is all about........love. Receiving and giving. Whether it be for your family, children, grandparents, parents, pets or just your significant other. Without love there isn't much to life is there? Money is nice and of course necessary but if you have all the money in the world and no love, that's been shown to be a lonely and empty life. Thank you for your good wishes and the best to you in this new year Jacinta.
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...