Friday, December 31, 2021

Betty White 1922-2021

 

Betty White

Our national treasure Betty White died today.

Betty was just weeks shy of her 100th birthday.

Upon hearing of her death while I was in the kitchen (I will always remember where I was), I felt a gut punch in my stomach. 

While her death was not unexpected at her age, whenever a much loved icon like Betty dies, it's a gut punch. Also, this is one of the few times I teared up. I even choked up. Like millions of my fellow Americans, we all loved Betty. I don't know of anyone who didn't love Betty.

And I have a special reason for sadness of losing Betty. For you see Betty has always been associated with my Mother who was also named "Betty." Not "Elizabeth" (like Betty White) but "Betty." 

My Mom was born in 1923, one year later than Betty but almost the same age, Betty White was born in 1922.

I remember the first time our family saw Betty White on TV. It was the Fifties and Betty had a black and white TV show called "Life With Elizabeth." My father and all of us were struck by the strong physical resemblance between Betty White and our "Betty" (nee Hadfield, married name Tipton). 

My Mother died at age 87, in 2010. She didn't make it quite as long as Betty White but like Betty White, I never knew anyone who disliked my Mother. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones, my brothers and I knew we had a great mother. Our father? Perhaps not so much but Mom? Absolutely the best. 

Betty White may be gone but thank goodness we will always have our recorded memories of her goodness, humor and good will. If there is a Heaven, perhaps she and my Mother will finally meet.


Betty (Hadfield) Tipton

By the way, my "Betty" also loved animals.


5 comments:

Joel Reisteter said...

I found out about the passing of Betty White here, reading your blog. I liked her a lot. I'm here at my desktop in my office/bedroom/funroom/man-cave and my jaw dropped and my eyes just about popped out of their sockets. May she rest in peace.

As for your mother, bless her. From reading your blog she was great. May your mother Rest In Peace.

pat888 said...

Hey Ron - nice tribute to one really nice human being. Because she was a celebrity we all got to know her throughout the years by the way she carried herself and the way she was loved by her peers. I see the resemblance with your mother. And I also like that dress she is wearing in the photo. Happy New Year Ron and best as always to Bill.

Pat

Ron said...

Joel,
Very sad Betty White passing. Very sad.
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Pat. Betty White brought out the best in us by her eternal optimism and good humor. She will be sorely missed.
Ron

Jeff said...

Your Betty sounds wonderful.

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...