Sunday, September 18, 2016

Motorcycle Noise - Bike Fest Week 2016



For the past twenty-four hours I have been enduring the almost constant drone of motorbikes going up and down Route One.  

This week is Bike Fest Week at Ocean City, Maryland. 


Ocean City Bike Week


Over 100,000 bicyclists gather once a year at Ocean City to pump up their testosterone with the roar of their unmuffled motorcycles.  




Folks, I have too tell you that the (almost) constant drone of those motor cycle engines reverberating off of Route One which borders Casa Tipton-Kelly is starting to get to me.  In fact, that motorcycle roar is driving me crazy.




    One of the main reasons I moved out of center city Philadelphia was that I couldn't take the almost constant squeal of police sirens.  After years of listening to those police car sirens screaming, I just had to get away from the source.  We moved to the country, in the middle of the woods, where (we thought) there was peace and quiet.  That lasted a few years until our neighbor died and his property was sold and subdivided.  The new owners adjoining our quiet wooded oasis had four ATV's which they drove around the perimeter of their property for hours on end.  Drove me crazy.  Such a shame because we moved to the country for peace and quiet.  


Thank goodness this Bike Fest is only once a year.  But I didn't get much sleep last night because of the roar of those motor bike engines.  Even as I type this blog the motorcycles continue to roar up Route One.  

I took these videos this morning after my walk to show you all what I have been listening to for a good twenty-four hours now.  

Oh for peace and quiet. 

10 comments:

  1. It is a good thing you have a berm and trees to help muffle. But it looks like there is no intention to disturb. Here, where we live, there are luxury condos and apartments 30 ft from railroad tracks. I always wondered if the plates rattled when a train passes at 6am-2pm-11pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      Motorcyclists remove the mufflers from their bikes because they want you to know they're coming. They have no intention of going into the night quietly. They have every intention of making their presence known.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Well, one weekend a year, could be worse. I did ask my friends this morning if any of them went down to the event. No one did, though they had one acquaintance, Cowboy, who they thought did. They did promise the next time they did do a ride down to Sussex they would make a loop about your block to say hello from me.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Lar❗️๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜œ

      Delete
    2. Lar,
      Motorcyclists roar up and down Route One every nice day, especially on weekends. This weekend was a orgy of bikers.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hi Ron, Boy that looks like 24 hours of torture, listening to motorcycles going up and down your main drag. I know what you mean I live not too far from train tracks. I think about 90 trains a day go thru town. But I have seen more than a few hot, good looking bikers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      When I was a kid we used to live near the train tracks. That was torture too! In Pennsylvania we were under the local airport trading path. The whirr of those planes used to annoy me too. I'm just a Grumpy Old Man.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Oh, Ron, it's only for the weekend, live and let live is my motto. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      This is an annual event. In the past it seemed as if they made their run back to where they came from during a few hours. This time it seemed like they took 36 hours to do it. Maybe they spaced things out so they wouldn't cause so much traffic congestion. I don't know. But the one thing I do know is that this is the first time they drove at night which kept waking me up every time they roared up the highway. I'm all about "living and let live" but this weekend I turned into a Grumpy Old Man. But now they're gone and the quiet is beautiful!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:09 AM

    The majority of what you hear is illegal both federally and state. Not only is it noise pollution but these people are removing the catalytic converters in droves and motorcycles pollute more than cars - look it up.

    For a good powerpoint presentation on the subject see here: https://1drv.ms/p/s!Aux9H6ZL5f4mgypyD45HZLoLfkCZ

    ReplyDelete