Monday, September 19, 2016

Finally, Quiet



Last night I slept well. Unlike Saturday night which I kept being awoken by the drone of thousands of motorcycles roaring up Route One all during the night.  Ah, quiet, how sweet it was. So nice to get a good night's sleep.  

I knew when I posted my whining on my Facebook account that I would receive blowback.  This time from my niece and her daughter who have boyfriend/husband who are cyclists. She called me a grumpy old man which I do not deny.  I proudly declare myself a GRUMPY OLD MAN.

I would expect them to defend and justify their men.  My niece even tried to justify all that noise pollution by saying "They're doing it for charity."  Oh give me a break.  They're doing it because they like to be noticed by making a LOT of noise.  I noticed, okay?

Another person left a comment on my blog about "live and let live."  Hey, I'm all for the "live and let live" but all that noise for thirty six hours straight?  

Every year they have this testosterone orgy Bike Fest. I know they make a lot of noise pollution roaring down the Coastal Highway (Route One) to their ultimate destination in Ocean City Maryland.  I'm prepared for that noise because it's mainly during the day.  But this year was different.  Instead of a horde of cyclists swarming locust like up the highway on Sunday afternoon, they started Saturday evening and continued throughout the night, spaced out.  Every time I got to sleep I was awoken a few minutes later by yet another overweight, balding rat-tailed, greasy cyclist with his well worn moll hanging onto his spare tire (and hot his motorcycle spare tire but the spare tire he carries around his waist) roaring up Route One.

I had a fitful night's sleep for the first time since they had Bike Fest Week.  Somebody changed something.  Hopefully next year they'll go back to their previous migration pattern and have their cacophony of noise on a Saturday during the day.  

Last night was so pleasant.  Quiet.  I slept like a babe.  Actually, I slept like a contented Grumpy Old Man.


8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    You should be around here as Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day when the fireworks start. I'm not talking about the professional firework shows, I'm talking about the homeowners that foolishly have to set these things off. They are not little poppers, they are shooting off rockets and whatever, which of course are illegal here. There are several fireworks stores just over the border in Pennsylvania where they buy them. It would be fine if they blew their fingers off on those holiday evenings, but usually they start at least a week a head of time, anytime of day or night and they often don't stop until a week after. That can be a lot of nights disturbed by KA-BOOMs. Scares the cats to death. Tis the cost of living around people.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Shooting off of fireworks is another ban of my existence of living around people. Wherever I have lived, there have always been someone nearby shooting off fireworks. Several years someone shooting for fireworks spooked a small pet dog who ran out on Route One and was hit and killed. The next couple of years the fireworks in this neighborhood took a break. But that was only temporary. This year they were back. I never got the "thrill" of setting off fireworks. The only thing I can understand is that some people like to make a lot of noise to annoy other people.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron, in 1976 we found ourselves in need of a second vehicle. Didn't have much money so I bought a Honda motorcycle. Its twin mufflers were superb --made no more noise than an air-cooled VW Bug. I would have thought mufflers should get even better in the following 40 years, but no. It's noise that SELLS motorcycles now, not necessity anymore, and people who buy them are idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geo.,
    I worked with a guy who bragged about how he removed the mufflers on his motorcycle. I asked him why he did that. He said "Ron, it's for safety so other vehicles can hear me coming." Sure. You're right, it is noise that SELLS motorcycles. I can't imagine any of these cyclists riding a quiet cycle.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, only reason I can think of for your workbraggart's modification is he passed between cars on the lane divider line. These are not people who know how to negotiate traffic on a motorcycle. Even motorcycle cops don't do that unless they have their lights and sirens going. Defensive driving is the key to survival for the rest of us and that includes waiting in traffic.

      Delete
    2. Geo.,
      I believe that most of these noisy motorcyclist drivers love the noise that they create. I suspect they are overcompensating for a deficiency in some other area in their life, probably a physical shortcoming.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. There's something about bikers that I don't like - - even though I'm related to a few of them. Take away their bikes and their mob mentality and there's nothing left.

    I'm not surprised that you got some flack for voicing your opinion on Facebook (and from relatives!).
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to ignore my critics BUT
    I am VERY often cautious about what I write on my blog for fear of it being over analyzed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      So well said. "Take away their bikes and their mob mentality and there's nothing left." Maybe that's why they're into their bikes and that whole culture.
      My niece who criticized me on Facebook is very controlling. She doesn't control me.
      Ron

      Delete