Friday, September 02, 2016

Last Day in Hamilton

Pat sitting in front of the Burnt Tongue where we had lunch today

Our stay in Hamilton is coming to an end.  Originally we only planned to stay one day but our accommodations here at the Carmen Best Western hotel are so outstanding I've extended our stay twice!

Today was another beautiful weather day.  Pat and I explored more of downtown Hamilton which is undergoing a metamorphosis from a run down steel town to a destination city of those seeking relief for the high prices and traffic nightmare of Toronto.  

There are still sections of downtown Hamilton badly in need of cleaning up but the genesis of a city in the process of being reborn is clearly visible.  Pat is going to love living in his hamster cage at the renovated Royal Connaught Hotel.  

Today we explored the farmers' market located right in the center of town.  All fresh veggies, meats, eggs, baked goods and even flowers.  Something that even I don't have access to where I live in southern Delaware.  

Fresh veggies at the Farmers' Market in downtown Hamilton today

We also discovered another delightful restaurant in a funky part of town.  It was called the Burnt Tongue.  No, we didn't burn out tongue with the fresh veggie soup we got there nor the hot fries.  Delicious!

Pat buying fresh brownies at a bake shop

Pat and I are headed out again in a few minutes to sample another veggie restaurant.  

Customer buying fresh cold cuts at the Farmers' Market today

Tomorrow we leave Hamilton.  I have to say I am saddened.


14 comments:

  1. Ron & Pat,

    The adventure continues............................... Hooray!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Always the best holidays with Pat!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. The Burnt Tongue is such a wonderfully original name - I love it. I also really like the Farmer's Market. A refreshing change from supermarkets. I have no doubt Pat will be ecstatic in Hamilton. Hopefully his present home will sell quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Pat was concerned that I wouldn't like Hamilton. To the contrary, I loved Hamilton. Hamilton is a very livable city. A "Goldilocks" city: not to big, not to small, just right!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. My immediate reaction was "What on earth could be the origin of a name like 'Burnt Tongue'?" - because I hardly dared think. But then realising that it has Pat's sanction I am now confidently placated, though I still assume that it's not all-veggie in the least.

    Sounds like you'll be leaving part of yourself behind in Hamilton. I do know the feeling very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me well Ray. I did leave part of myself in Hamilton. This time next year Pat will be ensconced in his condo (aka "Hamster Cage"). I think I'll spend ten days next year for my Canadian holiday.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Looks like a nice town. Glad you are enjoying your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      You would like Hamilton. You should check it out.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. There is no rapture like 'real food'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Absolutely! We dined well while we were in Hamilton. You would have liked every dining establishment. Maybe next year?
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi Guys, It sure looks like you two are having the most fun. You said you and Pat went to the CN tower? Pictures? I like the restaurant name "The Burnt Tongue" haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Pat and I had a fabulous time. We always do when we're on these adventures. Always new experiences. Always fun. The best times!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - All the restaurants we visited in Hamilton turned out great. On the sort of down trodden Barton St we enjoyed Delish where you had a Spanish coffee that was set on fire and contained 141 proof rum and Frangelica, Grand Marnier and Kaluha. Excellent meal too - reasonably priced. Also on Barton St we ate at the Vegan and the Butcher. With great Beatle music in the background and such a friendly staff. Yes - Hamilton is going to be a good move.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      And don't forget the"Burnt Tongue" restaurant! Hamilton was delightful . You're making a smart move Pat.👍❗️ I look forward to visiting you in your hamster cage next year.
      Ron

      Delete