Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Caregiver Ron



Today I made the transition to a new role.  I am now an official caregiver.

I've been easing into this role for a few years now. Today was the first time I accompanied Bill to a medical visit and identified myself as a caregiver.  I was pleasantly surprised that I was accepted as Bill's caregiver immediately.  

Regular blog readers know that Bill failed his driver's license test last month.  He failed the eye test.  I took him for an eye examination and they found he has cataracts.  He has to have them removed in order to get his driver's license back.

Bill is hard of hearing.  Bill also has a harder time as he has aged for retaining information he receives from his medical visits.  Too often he has come back from a visit to his doctor with confusing information.  He answer is usually to say "the hell with it."  I can't let him do that anymore.  

Bill will turn 88 years old in two weeks.  He has been in remarkably good health for the most of his life including the fifty-two years we have been together.  We have both been very lucky with our health.  However time marches on and health issues are inevitable.

Thus I sat with him today during his pre cataract surgery examination.  He was thankful and I felt good.  Bill has taken care of me for most of my adult life and now it is my turn to take care of him. I am thankful I can do this. 






19 comments:

  1. Bill seems to be in remarkably robust health.

    We should all be so lucky.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he is Andy. We're both very lucky.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. For better or for worse. Till death do you part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Jimmy, so true.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - It is great that you can do this for Bill - who, I'm sure, is much appreciative. I did the same for my mother on occasion. I hope it all goes well when Bill gets his cataracts done. He'll probably see better than all of us after that.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Everything is falling into place. Bill will be without his license for about a month or more but hopefully he will get it back when his cataract surgery is complete.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. A second set of ears can make a real difference. Help him and guide him to make decisions that reflect his wishes and goals in life (and death.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      We both feel more comfortable now that I can accompany Bill to his medical appointments.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. This is what true relationships are all about - - dedication and love. It's admirable and touching, Ron. Hopefully Bill's surgery will be successful and he will get his license back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I am totally dedicated to Bill and will always take care of him no matter what. This is all about love, and I do love that guy, even though the rough spots.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Despite you're taking the situation so philosophically, Ron, it still must be a time which you and Bill hoped would never come, though you both knew it would as long as you both survived. You're going to have to call on all your reserves of strength to see it through but, as comments above have stated, there is an element of 'luck' in this, hard it may be to always see it. Your appreciation of Bill, coupled with your gratitude can only help. I sincerely wish the both of you all the very best for coming times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Bill and I have had many good years. Now that we are at the end of our stay here, I will do everything to make the transition as stress free as possible. However, I do wonder who will care for me. Oh well, I can't worry about that now and actually I can't do too much about that.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I think if it comes to someone to look after you, Ron, you and I can always look after each other. It's a flippant remark now, but let's hope that for both our sakes it stays that way. :-)

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      If I outlive Bill, hopefully I won't be by myself. But if I am and I feel terribly lonely, I have a solution. At my age I've lived a good life. It's all gravy now. No loss.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. No need to say any more, Ron. I'm with you. It's all yours and yours alone, no matter what anyone else says!

      Delete
  8. Don't forget even caregivers need their own care given to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Alas, I don't force anyone caring for me when my times comes. However, I do have a solution if I should end up in that circumstance. I will not be cared for by anonymous, minimum paid health care workers as just another old man past his time.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Your the perfect person to be anybody's caregiver ��

    ReplyDelete