Tuesday, January 05, 2016

What a Morning!



"My heart belongs to" (I'll never tell)

The cold has descended on us folks!  For most of the fall and winter (so far) we here in southern Delaware have basked in almost balmy weather.  Remember how I told you some of my daffodils were blooming?  Well folks, winter has arrived.  

The temps last night as I left the hotel (which was empty), was a frigid 18 degrees.  With the winds whipping around, it felt like zero degrees.

When I got home from my late night shift, I finally received my replacement Discover credit card.  Two weeks to the date when I reported it lost.

First thing this morning at 5 am or there about  I was awakened with the power going off, then on. Then off and on again.  This happens occasionally when Delaware Electric Cooperative switches power but this morning was an exception.  After the FIFTH on and off, I was wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep.  Bill told me when I finally got up at 5:47 am, that the power went on and off NINE TIMES.  Way to go Delaware Electric Coop.  Just as well, I needed to get early to update all my Internet billing with my new credit card. 

After a very early breakfast, I spent a good two hours on my computer updating all my automatic billing accounts with my new credit card number.  Not an easy task, since all websites are not created equal.  

Then, just to complete the morning my Water Pik sprung a leak.  That's right folks, another piece of planned obsolescence. 

Well, I had to go out this morning to warm up use my new credit card so I decided to spring for a new Water Pik.  Goodbye $40.00.

While I was out and about this cold morning I decided to also spring another $5.00 bucks and buy a pint of rum to make my infamous famous rum ball cookies.  Ah yes, it IS that time again folks to get high on cookies. And while I was at the liquor store, I purchased two Power Ball Lottery tickets.  Did you hear?  The jackpot is up to $400 million!  And folks, I DO intend to win.  I even asked the proprietor of the liquor store how much he would receive WHEN (no "if's" here folks) win.  He said "$10,000" but his expression relayed that he's heard this question before.  

I got one ticket for me and one for Pat.  We did see a very nice, cozy modern house last year when we were in La La Land that was on the market for 3.2 mil.  Pocket change WHEN I win (or Pat) the Powerball.  The drawing is tonight folks.  You can be sure I'll let you know.

I'm back home now, catching up on my regular activities like blog posting and online Scrabble.  Way too cold to take my morning walk this morning.  However, the temps are going up the next few days so I'll be out and about in the development here for sure.  

In the meantime, you all have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, Happy New Year to you and Bill. I cannot wait to read about your trip to L.A. with Ron this year. I wish you both a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, I deleted my first message because I did not know how to post with my name. I finally figured it our. So, I will now be able to post. I am the person who told you about Yaktrax for your shoes, so you will not fall again.
    I really enjoy your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know who you are Linda! Thanks for the advice about the shoes. I will be very careful you can be sure, this winter season when I walk on snow or ice. If possible, I'll avoid going out at all. I definitely don't want a repeat of last year!
      Thanks for your comment.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Stay warm, let's hope the lights stay on. LA sounds nice today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      The lights went out again early this morning. I don't know what's going on in this Third World country I live in Sussex County. My LA trip can't happen soon enough.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    No choice this morning. I had to take the car and drop it off for servicing, then walk home. It was 13 degrees, wind chill was minus 3 and I had a wind in my face all the way. Since I dropped it off at 6:30 it was still dark out. I did make the smart decision of talking the short route home. Originally I thought I could take my usual morning stroll after I dropped the car, but it was so cold I decided not to go for any 5 mile hike. Of course, I had to walk back later in the morning and pick it up, but it was up to a balmy 21 degrees by then. It lowered my bank account as well, by $180. I have to take it in again on Thursday morning because my shocks are shot. It should be a bit warmer then. They cost $280, but my warranty covers all but $50 of that.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always something isn't it Lar? Especially the unexpected costs. I would like to go a couple of weeks at least without some kind of malfunction or unexpected cost and good health. Tis not to be though I fear. At least the weather could warm up a bit. I was enjoying that global warming spell we were getting for a few weeks.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron - less than a week now. Temps are in the 60s in LA - perhaps they'll go up a little once we're there. I remember leaving toronto last year in that really harsh winter morning waiting for the bus . Around 0 degrees with the wind chill and arriving in LA to 80 degrees. Altho it dropped to low 70s the next day. Can't wait to revisit some old haunts and new ones - and the Hollywood Hills digs.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting excited now Pat. I wish we were staying a few more days though. Next year we will have to spend two weeks. Get away from this cold and power outages.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Looks like you're going to be in the mid-60s this year when you go, that's the predictions for that week. Looks like most of the rain will be gone, though.

      Lar

      Delete
    3. Lar,
      Doesn't matter whether it rains or not in southern California. We'll have a great time!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. that is a lovely heart. I don't recall (did I ever know?) you are fond of sweets and chocolates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I used to eat candy, al lot. However, I stopped eating candy back in the early Sixties. I still have that sweet tooth though. I now only indulge once a day with a cookie or a piece of cake at the end of the day. Absolutely no candy.
      Ron

      Delete