Saturday, January 02, 2016

The Beats




I've always felt that I have lived before.  My earliest memory was when I was about three or four years old.  I know that because it was before I started elementary school (1st grade) when I was five years old.  My memory was "Here I go again, a fresh start."  Really, that is a memory imbedded in my brain storage bank.

All my life I have been attracted to music with a steady beat.  

When I was in school I played the Sousaphone, which is a bass instrument.  Of course I wanted to play the bass drum but my best friend (Bill B.) played that big drum. We traveled together on the band bus, the last to load our instruments in the bottom of the band bus we took to the away football games.

During the Seventies I loved disco music.  Mainly because of that steady beat.  I used to go to the after hours dance clubs and position myself next to the four foot tall speakers and dance (the "Elaine Dance") to the rhythm.  I frequently took my "sticks" to accompany the beat.



A couple of weeks ago I brought a Bose Wave radio.  I subscribed to the Internet radio station called "Antique Beats."  When I am at my computer now I listen to that station on my new Bose Wave radio, legs shaking to the beat.  In fact Pat has questioned "Why are you shaking?" when I talk to him on FaceTime and I have the radio on at the same time.  Hey man, I am ONE with THE BEAT.  

Well, this morning I found my absolute perfect selection  It is called "Rama" by Earthwise Sound System.  Folks, I can literally listen this music all day.  I am transported.  


Me, Halloween 1980

I listen and I am totally relaxed.  Not for me drug highs are overeating to bring solace to my soul.  All I have to do is listen to music like "Rama" and I am reminded that perhaps, just maybe, I was a . . . . something in a Previous Life.  I don't know, but this music seems awfully familiar.  

Do you think it would be asking too much to request this be played at my funeral?  This feels so right.



10 comments:

  1. My father always believed in past lives. Which is very odd, considering he was brought up in a conservative Southern Baptist home. I kind of have similar beliefs. I have thought before "have I been here?"
    Again, I LOVE the sexy sheik pic!! What times you guys must have had back then!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      We had a fabulous time back in 1980. Ironically, that's when that life all came to an end. I had been going out since 1964 through 1980. That was Halloween 1980 and my last big night out at the bars. I grew tired of that scene. Just as well because that's when AIDS took hold. I remember at the time it was called "GRID" (gay related immune deficiency) and caused by poppers which I used. I was lucky I left just in time. Many of my friends and acquaintances didn't and are no longer with us.
      I had a time wearing that sheik costume, which I rented from the Philadelphia Costume Company. I got a lot of flak because that was the time of the Arab oil embargo. I finally had to take off that costume when I was in one bar and put it in a shopping bag and carry it back to my apartment. The next night I went out as the Wolfman. Yes, it was a grand time back in those days.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hey Ron - I like that music too unless it's got too heavy a thumping quarter note beat which I know is popular at the dance clubs. Mid Eastern, Indian music I like along with all our Western music including country and western which was trendy to turn one's nose up to not so long ago. Trance like ambient music has been a favourite of mine. AlsoI really like electronic. Sorry - just rambling here. So maybe I would request electronic music at my funeral. After all we are electric.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm not sure what the thumping quarter note beat is but maybe that's what is soothing me. Something about it that totally relaxes me.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Rama bathes me in the warmth of mellow sunshine and puts me in an exotic, erotic mood. It transports me far from the dark gloom of this frigid winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of Rama. I shall investigate How funny to hear of this today, which is the birthday of Asimov. He wrote "Rendezvous with Rama" as very good sci-fi book indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      This is the first time I've heard Rama. But I have to say, I like! Very relaxing and soothing for the heart and soul.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, I'm having to apologise to many that since yesterday I'm no longer getting sound on videos so, with much regret, I'm unable to appreciate your 'Rama'. The sorry development came when I was trying to increase limited disk-space by removing unwanted programs, and I've done something I shouldn't - and am not sure how to get it back. Still, will keep trying and hope it's recoverable before too long.

    Btw: I'd like to see you get away with wearing that Arab garb in public these days - but I don't mean for you to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I hope you get everything up and running soon. I know how frustrating computer problems can be.
      Ron

      Delete