Friday, January 29, 2016

Pasadena, California Visit


Every year, during our annual January visit to sunny California, we make the short drive to Pasadena to visit one of our favorite vegan restaurants, The Green Earth.

Pasadena is a beautiful small city not far from Los Angeles.  In fact, all the cities of southern California seem to run together, being one big city. We're always amazed at how little distance (less than ten miles) separates such well known cities such as Santa Monica, Burbank, Pasadena from the city of Los Angeles.

As regular readers of this blog know (and you know who you are), I go vegan when Pat and I partake in one of our travel adventures.  One of Pat's favorite vegan restaurants in Toronto is The Green Earth restaurant.  That restaurant just happens to have a sister restaurant (run by the same Vietnamese family) in Pasadena.  Pat and I visited the Pasadena restaurant the first time last year.  We had a great vegan meal followed by a fabulous dessert.  


Our delicious vegan lunch at The Green Earth restaurant in Pasadena, CA


This year we returned to our host, "Tranh" (I think that was his name) at The Green Earth restaurant in Pasadena.  We had another fabulous vegan meal followed by yet another spectacular dessert. 

Pat had vegan chocolate cake (delicious) and I had vegan cheesecake (also delicious!)

The only difference this time with our meal was a crazy man stopped in from the street and interrupted our meal.  He seemed sane enough at first when he saw me and Pat and said "Now there are to men who look like they're enjoying life" (we do).  But then the more he talked, the crazier he got.  Then he asked to see the menu from Tranh.  While looking at the items he kept saying "Too much! Too much!"  Then he asked Tranh "Where do you get your vegetables?"  He didn't like Tranh's answer.  All the while Tranh was trying to stay pleasant, which a forced smile.  Later we found out that he thought The Crazy Man was our friend.  WHAT? Tranh said when he returned to our table he saw the man talking to us and that's why he assumed he was our friend.  Thank goodness The Crazy Man finally exited the restaurant.  Just another adventure for the Ron and Pat Road Show.


Selfie of Pat, Tranh and me at the Green Earth Restaurant in Pasadena, California


After lunch we stopped in a modern furniture store in Pasadena. 


Pat considering this couch (you already have a modern couch Pat, from CB2) 

Pat loves these modern furniture stores.  Actually I do too. At one time in my past life I had considered going "modern" but you know how life is.  Over time Bill and I have accumulated different types of furniture here and there and before we knew it we had the typical American Household, which is just a conglomeration of all styles of furniture that (hopefully) is comfortable. Works for us.

Maybe in the future if I should reach a very old age and find my current home too much, I may opt for smaller quarters and decide to get all new furniture.  If I do I will go modern.  

We had a fine visit to Pasadena and we will return next year.  I love setting new traditions.  I just hope we don't run into any more Crazy Old Men.




13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your vegan meal in lovely Pasadena - despite the crazy man interruption. The loonies lurk everywhere.....That cheesecake looks good!

    When I was a kid in Calif. there were always jokes about little old ladies from Pasadena. It was such a quiet, sane suburb back then (no crazies) with very lovely old residential neighborhoods.
    You're certainly right about L.A. being one big city. Orange County is the same way. You only need to walk a few blocks and you're in another city.....one after the other....after the other.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I haven't seen much of California, only LA and some of the nearby cities but what I've seen I liked, a lot. Pasadena is a very clean city and I would be very comfortable living there. But the lady at the modern furniture store told us it was very expensive to live in Pasadena. As I mentioned in my reply to Pat, what I really like is the total lack of judgmental looks from the people in California to me and Pat, being two men obviously together. Even here in so called gay friendly southern Delaware I get "the looks." Always. So tiring. I plan to die here but who knows. Maybe my last move will be to California, if I can afford it.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Jon,
      By the way, that Crazy Guy who intruded on our lunch wasn't the only Crazy I encountered during our stay in California. This year like last year we encountered our fair share of pan handlers and crazies. I guess we're just so obvious as tourists and out of staters. Probably because we're always looking up and not head to ground.
      Ron

      Delete
    3. Pasadena was always considered an upper-class city, and it was very expensive to live there even when I was a child.
      One of the WONDERFUL things about Southern California is that life there is so casual and unrestricted.....people generally never judge you for your lifestyle or sexual preference. There are no witch hunts or angry mobs chasing you with torches and lynch ropes.

      Delete
    4. Jon,
      I didn't realize that Pasadena was considered an upper class city. My only reference is the "Little old lady from Pasadena" song. I do agree with you that one of the WONDERFUL things about Southern California is that life is so casual and unrestricted, unlike most of the rest of the country. Like the area of the country you live in. Beautiful geographically much as western North Carolina but we (Bill and I) could never live there because of the Bible Belt Mentality. This country isn't as "free" as many of the right wing type conservatives would like to believe. It's "free" for them but for anyone different, watch out. Your life is literally in danger.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hey Ron - I think you captured the essence of our experience with the crazy man in the above photo - well done. Pasadena is truly a very nice city - quite expensive - like a lot of California. No wonder it's the most populated state of the union. i also find there is a good laid back sense in the lifestyle there - despite cars rushing everywhere.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I love California and its laid back lifestyle. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable being with another man. In Pennsylvania and even here in so called gay friendly southern Delaware, I have been more than once been made to feel uncomfortable. Remember the time we were walking through my Ed Cage's neighborhood and a carload of young guys rode by and shouted "Fag!" as us? Same thing often happened when I lived in Philadelphia and even in Provincetown. California seems different, they seem to be more occupied with their own lives and let others live their own lives. That's the area of the country I would like to live in although California is very expensive. So what is the tradeoff? A cheaper place to live but less gay friendly or more expensive? Come to think of it Toronto was also very gay friendly and also very expensive. Wonder if there is a connection?
      Ron

      Delete
  3. If you'd started filming Crazy Man while he was in full might it not have scared him off? Bit risky, I suppose. It could equally have provoked him to do God knows what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      When he first came in the restaurant I thought he was normal but all too quickly he degenerated into a Crazy Old Man. If I had my wits about me I would have started taping right away. But I admit I was caught off guard. I will try to be more diligent next year when we again visit The Green Earth Restaurant in Pasadena.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Some would say 'crazy' and 'old men' are synonymous
    I have had my share of COM - but as long as they are paying their copays I am hired to do something about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You would have liked this Crazy Old Man. He looked so intelligent and "normal" when he first came in but much to our surprise and angst, he "turned" into a Crazy Old Man in a flash. I felt so sorry for Tranh. However, he did keep smiling although his smile lost of of its spark when the Crazy Old Man kept saying "Too much! Too much!" when perusing the menu. Always an adventure for the Ron and Pat Traveling Road Show.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Glad to see your adventure to Pasadena went well, despite the crazy man. At least the food looked good.

    Happy to see that you're still blogging. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick,
      The food at The Green Earth was delicious, Tranh was a gracious host and we love Pasadena although we could never live there. Way too expensive. Even the Crazy Old Man looked well off.
      Ron

      Delete