Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dancing With the Stars

Petra Nemcova & Dmitry Chaplin - graceful, lovely Petra


Okay.  I admit it.  I'm a 'Dancing With the Stars' addict.  Until this year I couldn't get the program because I had satellite TV (DirecTV) and didn't have access to local (network TV) channels.  This year that all changed and now I can get 'Judge Judy' and 'Dancing With the Stars.'  I can also get 'Glee', which is a local (Rehoboth Beach - aka 'Gayberry') gay favorite.  However, I cannot get into a show where guys and gals in their middle 20's are playing teenagers.  I don't care how much Broadway type singing and dancing is going on (I never got THAT gay gene by the way),  adults playing teenagers isn't interesting to me.  Talented teenagers would be a much more interesting show but adult professionals playing teenagers, no.


Chris Jericho & Cheryl Burke - athletes having a grand time!


Before I moved to Delaware I also was a American Idol fan.  Without apology I am a Simon Cowell/Paula Abdul fan.  I sorely missed not seeing American Idol when I moved down here in Lower Slower Delaware.  Now that I can get AI, I don't want to see it.  I can't get past Super Diva Jo Lo.  I don't care how sweet she portrays herself on AI, to me she is a boring ME, ME, ME diva.  Randy?  I was over his "Hey Dawg" and "You're a little pitchy" comments and name dropping a LONG time ago.  Steven Tyler?  Old Mummy Face himself?  Sorry, I can't look at that wrinkled mug without twisting my wrinkled face in revulsion.  I don't need any reminders of how old I am. 


Kym Johnson and Hines Ward - lots of teeth here 
  
So what was I left with?  I've heard a lot about 'Dancing With the Stars' but I never watched it.  I was reluctant to watch it  but I DVD'd it just in case I ran into a stretch of lousy Netflix rentals.  This weekend, when I had an opening in my schedule (sure), I settled myself in my in my bedroom lounger and flicked the remote control on and voila!  




Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovsky - brave,  heavy and sexy Kirstie


BOOM!  The lights, the colors, the cheers, the gowns, the excitement!  Now I know why the show is so popular.  Then the 'stars' (some not so much') were introduced by Tom Bergeron.  When I saw that big drag queen Wendy Williams navigating her bulk down the ramp like one of those hippo ballerinas in Disney's 'Fantasia', I was hooked!  OMIGOD!  That ratty wig.  That cheap, floozy dress.  The tons of make up with rainbow glitter on her enormous eye lids.  Good thing I was sitting when that image was flung in my face.  Wendy?  Who are you?  A drag show reject?




Tony Dovolain & Wendy Williams - is it me or does Wendy look like a drag queen?


So folks, here's the deal,  I will be doing my inimitable reviews of all the 'stars' and professional dancers on Season 12 of Dancing With the Stars.  Fasten your seatbelts, this is going to be fun!


Lacy Schwimmer and 'Psycho' Mike Catherwood - adorable Mike - can't dance with a lick but cute


I'll try to keep my posts shorter than usual. I know sometimes I get carried away and just go on and on (that's why I don't Tweet) but I do feel this compulsion to SHARE my views of this unique pop culture phenomena that millions of Americans will view every week.  Some may think a show like Dancing With the Stars is a waste of time and empty of meaning.  I disagree 100%!  To my way of thinking, any culture needs a diversion to balance the bad in our lives.  With so much unemployment in our country, health care costs rising, nuclear plant fears and multiple wars God knows we need a diversion.  We all have to thank ABC and the 'stars' (some not so much but that's all right) for putting on this show for us, the modern day version of the three ring circus.




The cast of season 12 of 'Dancing With the Stars' - let the games begin!

9 comments:

  1. I love DWTS too. When the couples dance, I'm so centered on the men I totally miss the women's performances. Not that I'm complaining about it. Who can blame me when dancers like Maks and Dimitri are so mega-sexy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother loves the show too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Always liked dancing, but by dancers. I imagine a lot of people watch this for the same reason a lot of people go to car races -- to see the wrecks.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you Spo? I would think you would LOVE this show. So much going on. It is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spo,
    "My Mother loves the show too"...are you saying I'm OLD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cubby,
    I check some of the guys out except the obvious queens like Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I watch it Lar, the wrecks...and the occasional surprise good dancer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this show too. Great post. I don't know who Wendy is either but I couldn't stop watching her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aviewfromthemeadow,

    I didn't know who Wendy Williams before I watched this program but I know now. She does have a great personality but man, is that ever a ratty wig she's wearing.

    ReplyDelete