Monday, January 09, 2017

Annual Trip To Los Angeles

Pat standing in line at the Veggie Grill at 8000 Sunset Boulevard last year, our favorite place to eat when we're in West Hollywood

Talk about good timing! Originally I had planned our (me and my Canadian sidekick Pat) annual trip to La La Land  (West Hollywood, Los Angeles) for this date.  For the last two years Pat and I enjoyed the easy freedom and balmy breezes of southern California in early January.  However, I decided this year to go in February. 

Pat and I meet up four times a year.  

In the Spring we meet in Philadelphia and stay at the guest suite of my long time friend Don McK.'s co-op on 21st and Chestnut Street. We make a side trip of a few days here at my home in southern Delaware to sample the delights of Lewes (the Nectar restaurant) and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  

At the end of summer, Labor Day I fly to Buffalo, New York where Pat picks me up and we cross the border to Canada and stay overnight in Niagara Falls Canada. From Niagara Falls Pat drives me to his very cool minimalist home in Toronto where I spend a week enjoying the famous Canadian hospitality.  While there we take in the annual Canadian National Exhibition. 

Then, during my birthday in early November we return to Philadelphia and the guest suite at my friend Don's co-op in Center City, Philadelphia.  

Originally we got together again in January to celebrate Pat's late December birthday. However, I noticed last year the long gap between January and May so that's why I decided to forward our departure date for the land of warm breezes and palm trees to the middle of February.  

Wasn't I lucky this year not to have planned to leave for Los Angeles in early January?  If so I would have had to manage to get to the Philadelphia International Airport through all the snow and ice.  Thank goodness I don't have to do that.  But . . . . . who knows what the weather will be like here February 12th, when I am scheduled to leave.  It's always a roll of the dice when one decides to leave the cold of winter for the tropical weather of southern California.  But you know folks, it's worth it!


2 comments:

  1. Heck, any month is a great time to be in California - February should be very pleasant (I hope I won't be eating these words...). It's fortunate that you managed to skip the snow and ice in Philly.

    So, Pat has a December birthday like me. Is he a Sagittarius?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Pat's birthday is December 29th. He's a Capricorn. So looking forward to going to California again! Not long now.
      Ron

      Delete