Friday, January 13, 2017

A Crises in American Democracy


Regular readers of my blog have probably noticed that I haven't been posting regularly.  There isn't a reason why I haven't been posting.

I have this impending sense of something is drastically wrong in this country.  

Yes, Donald Trump won the presidency and Hillary Clinton lost. But this feeling I have is more than just "Hillary lost and Trump won." I have this feeling that a foreign power interfered in our democratic process.  

We all know who that foreign power is, Russia. 

I'm going to try and make this post concise, which I am finding very hard to do.  

After the election Donald Trump had a chance to bring this country together. But what has he done?  He has been consistent in defending Russian president Putin and the Russians.  This is the only area he has been consistent. 

There are so many reasons to state about Trump as to why he is unqualified to be president. From his refusal to release his tax returns to his bragging about sexual assault on women. But his consistent refusal to recognize that Russia interfered in our election should concern all of us.

Today, John Lewis, the civil rights icon said what many of us think.  He said he didn't view Donald Trump as a legitimate president. I agree.  

I've had this sinking feeling for quite a while now.  This sense of impending doom.  Not just because the Democratic presidential candidate lost but because I have this feeling that something is wrong. More than just losing the vote, which I think the votes were accurate. I think there was a genuine dislike of Hillary Clinton and that she was the wrong candidate and the wrong time.  I think there was a genuine desire for change from many voters.  I know myself I felt the same way.  In fact I still feel the same way.  I want things "shaken up" but as I got to know more about Trump I realized that he was just a charlatan, a con man who recognized an opportunity and took advantage of it. 

This story isn't over folks.  I fear for myself, my fellow citizens and the world.  We are entering dangerous times folks.  

10 comments:

  1. I've felt the some way - kinda like a rock in my stomach every time I hear the name. We're in for a bad ride - I depend on Social Security for an income now that I am retired. Just recently, I had to change my health care plan - Humana dropped the plan I was on (still fuming about their denied merger) - now I have an HMO that is more expensive and restricted. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iberostar,
      I too depend on Social Security for income. Even though Trump promised not to touch Social Security and Medicad, I have a sickening feeling he's going to go along with Paul Ryan's life long quest to privatize both Social Security and Medicad. I've paid and I am still paying (part-time job) for both. I've been paying into Social Security since 1954, non-stop. It's not an "entitlement, the way the Republicans like to describe it like it's a freebie. I'm sick about what's about to come.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I've no doubt, Ron, that if D.T. was asked to undergo a lie-detection test on the contents of this (fake news/crap!) dossier, he would refuse on the grounds that, as on his secretive tax affairs, "People don't care about that!" But there must have been a number of those watching his tetchy press conference who have an expertise in body language. Our police - and surely yours too - use them all the time in watching interviews with suspects. At this event, when the subject inevitably came up D.T., became all arms like a windmill. I can't help wondering what all that means.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      Trump is a serial liar. He cannot help himself. I am so embarrassed that he will be our president.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I feel like America has died. The pride, hope and dreams of this country has been murdered and replaced by hate and bigotry. This evil wave of darkness is choking out all the joy. It no longer feels like the country I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver,
      I feel the same way. I'm actually embarrassed that Trump is president. And thought George Bush was an embarrassment for this country but Trump is way worse. I still have a hard time processing that so many of my fellow citizens of this wonderful country brought into Trump's con job.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:56 PM

    i was reading some random post online regarding Trump lifting all sanctions on Russia where the poster mentioned a military coup to remove Trump and I actually thought that made sense. Then I thought how did we come to this? Still, military rule would be better than Trump

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      I cannot imagine Trump completed a four year term. Either he will resign or he will be impeached. He's just too lazy and dishonest and ignorant to be the president.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    I believe this administration will try and privatize Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid too. You are correct these programs are not "entitlements". It irks me when I hear politicians use that word. Argh! Take care, Ron.

    ReplyDelete