Monday, October 19, 2015

More News on the Medical Front



My last visit to my orthopedic surgeon (I hope)

This morning I had my last doctor's visit for awhile.  The past few months have been a spat of doctor's visits and quite frankly, it was becoming a bit tiresome.  However, I know that it is necessary to see my doctors to keep this old chassis going.


Filling our my Wellness sheet this morning at my orthopedic doctor's office - way to get the day started off right - I was the first patient (8:00 AM appointment)


Last Friday I visited my dermatologist.  For the first time in a couple years I got clean bill of health.  No burning off bits of my skin and leaving his office looking like someone was torturing me with cigarette burns.

A couple of weeks ago I visited my main doctor at the VA and got the good news that my prostate cancer is effectively gone or at least in remission.  My PSA level was down to .3 which is fabulous.  This probably means I'll die of something else instead of prostate cancer.  Of course I will die of something else, hopefully deathbed scene is still a long time away.

This morning I visited my orthopedic surgeon doctor.  The doctor who reattached my quadricep muscle on my left leg so I could walk again.  And walking I am, hallelujah!!!!!




I just cannot tell you how thankful I am to be walking again. Amen and AMEN!

But all is not well in Ron's World.  Even though my leg has healed very well, I still have trouble walking.  I can't walk like I used to which concerns me, because walking was always one of my strengths.  I'm especially concerned because tomorrow I'm taking a bus to Philadelphia (one of those "Old People Excursions") for a Day In Philly.  All the years I lived in Philly I could walk anywhere.  These days, my walking is somewhat limited.  I have to husband my strength.  

The problem is a soreness in my lower back.  I've had it for years.  At first I thought I was having hip problems but that's not it.  

After I got the good news from my doctor this morning that my injured leg was well back to it's normal use, I brought up my "walking" problem.  

He said I probably had spinal stenosis.  After all I am approaching Crypt Keeper status; i.e. I am old.  Next month I'll be 74 (how did THAT happen)?

He asked if I wanted an X-ray taken.  I said "Sure!"

The X-Ray showed a white cloudy area at the base of my spine?  That's arthritis folks.  Old man here.

He said I could have cortisone shots if the pain was too great (it isn't, I've learned to live with the stiffness and soreness).  He also said "Some people have an operation and then, most don't"  Count me in the latter category, thank you.  No one is operating on my spine . . . . thank you again.

He did give me a sheet of paper showing me what exercises I could do to slow down the progression of me falling apart with "Arthur Ritis" as we call this malady around here (Bill has arthritis too).  

So I'm off to my Day in Philly tomorrow folks.  Have to get up REAL early (4:30 AM) to catch my 7:00 AM bus out of Georgetown from the Sussex County Community College campus for the 2 1/ 2 hour ride to Philadelphia.  

I wonder if they'll have as big a reception for me as Philly had for Pope Francis.  One thing I know for sure, I won't be having a private meeting with Kim Davis.

Kim Davis, religious hypocrite and bigot



14 comments:

  1. Hi Ron,

    You probably heard that Kim Davis didn't actually have a private meeting with the Pope. They just sort of snuck her in line when nobody was looking.

    Bearing false witness against the Pope!!!

    She's gonna burn in hell for sure!!! HAHAHA!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I believe that's what happened, this vile woman was slipped into a line by a very conservative cardinal who wanted to damage the Pope's reputation. Even so, this cardinal succeeded. I have to admit when I read the news item "The Pope Meets With Kim Davis" I said to Bill "Now there's an Internet hoax!" Never would I ever have believed such a meeting occurred. That it did disappointed me greatly. I'm slowly coming to terms with it.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Have a great trip! And give the exercises a try! My husband has lower back problems and he does his exercises every morning - he says it makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mags,
      Thanks for the advice. I will have to start these exercises. Tomorrow!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are doing well! I used to follow your Tipton Tales & Trails blog and was worried when you stopped posting. I wish you all the best!

    Your distant cousin,

    Debbie Patek
    (6th great granddaughter of Major Jonathan Tipton)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra,
      I apologize for not keeping up my Tipton Tales and Trails blog. I have so much information yet to post but I just don't have the time. And now that I am addicted to online Scrabble I have even less time! Hopefully, someday I will get back to my "Tipton Tales and Trail" blog and update it before I disappear forever. No one in my immediate family is interested in continuing this record keeping.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. So the next post will be video of you bounding up the steps of the museum with the theme song from Rocky blaring in the background? Me enighter, my bounding days are past, but it is nice to move under my own power most of the time. Have a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Just back from Philly. Oh no, be "bounding up the steps to the Art Museum", that will NEVER happen. My "bounding days" are also over I'm afraid. I barely made my way around the streets of center city Philly today. In fact, for the first time ever, I used the bus. Didn't cost me anything because I'm a senior citizen but still, I USED THE BUS.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. good news all - other than having to see a photo of that awful woman at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo. I have to apologize to you, I am so far behind in my blog reading. Your blogs are automatically posted to my e-mails. They all look very interesting and I do intend to read them while they're still fresh. I don't want to join that list of folks who no longer follow you. I do, I just haven't had the time.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I'm probably very cruel for saying this, but Kim Davis doesn't need a Halloween costume. I LOATHE the self-righteous......

    Dear Lord, Ron, whatever you do, don't get a spine operation - unless it's absolutely necessary! I've had spine trouble my entire life, and falling directly on it three times hasn't helped. We both will have to be VERY careful when walking on ice this winter. At least you have a clean bill of health and can walk again - - so I think you're all set for your upcoming adventures in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      What a vile woman Kim Davis is. Today I just figured out why she doesn't quit her job, which is what she should have done if she didn't like or approve of what her job involves. She makes $75,000 a year and her son also works in her office. So it all comes down to money after all with this religious ("the sanctity of marriage" after her FOUR marriages) hypocrisy.
      Jon, DO NOT WORRY about me getting a spine operation. NEVER while I'm alive. NO WAY. I'lll just straggle along. At least I can walk now, albeit with more difficulty. And you better believe I'll be very careful this winter walking on ice and snow, avoiding it as much as I can.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. This is totally off topic, but there's something I notice every time I visit your site (which is often). Just before showing your site members on the right side of the page, there's the statement "Some truly perspective folks..." Don't you mean "perceptive", instead of "perspective"? Sorry for sounding like I school teacher (I'm not) - I truly do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! No, I don't mind at all you pointing out that correction for me. I just surprised no one has noticed until now.
      Thank you for your kind and generous compliment about my blog. I try.
      Ron

      Delete