Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Septic Tank Emergency!



Ah yes folks, it's been a while since I've posted.  It's not that I don't have anything to post about, I had LOADS.  Problem is I just don't have the time.  Oh I know how boring that excuse is but folks, that IS my problem.

Well, this morning I had another "problem."  As I rounded the corner from my bedroom this morning to have my breakfast, Bill greeted me with the latest emergency.  He said the grass around our septic tank lid was "all wet."   Uh oh!




This has to be one of our worst fears.  Mine anyway.  When we lived in Pennsylvania we had our own septic field. The twenty-five years we lived there we never once had the septic tank emptied.  But of course that was a little different because the overflow of the septic tank went into the field below which probably help explain why the vegetation was also so lush.




Well, our septic tank here has no such feature. We've lived nine years (November 7th is our anniversary).  Only once have I had our septic tank emptied.  I wasn't sure it needed to be emptied but we had it done because our neighbor said we could get a discount if we both had ours emptied at the same time.  

So I checked Angie's List this morning for septic service company.  I got a name, McMullen Septic Services.  I called to arrange service.  "Shelly", who answered the phone told me a serviceman was in the area (Milton).  Within an half an hour he was here!  WOW!  Talk about service.




"Joe", quickly determined the problem.  My septic tank filter was clogged.  The tank was filled to the top.  UGH!  (I looked). 

He saw the "wipes" that I use.  He suggested that while the manufacturer of the wipes say they are "flushable", that doesn't mean they are biodegradable, which apparently they aren't.  So I won't be using them anymore.  Back to the shower or wet toilet paper.  I have to be clean.  That's just me.  

So folks, I had an emergency this morning and it was taking care of professionally, punctually and with a reasonable cost $313.50 which include a $75.00 of liquid to help the natural bacteria action in my septic tank).  How refreshing to get good service at a reasonable price.  Of course I posted an excellent review to my account at Angie's List.  

Speaking of which, Angie's List is great!  They have never left me down. Do I sound like a commercial?  Oh well.

Have a great day everyone.  My septic tank is clean and I'm ready to roll.  Now back to my Scrabble boards on Facebook which is (as I guiltily admit) are taking up so much of my time).


20 comments:

  1. You got the right advice, Ron. We've been using a (flushable) liquid product called Rid-X for many years here and had far less trouble with the septic tank than we used to. It's mainly a bottle of water, bacteria and a little perfume --about $15 for three monthly treatments per bottle. Remember, bacteria is our cellulose-eating coprophagic friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.
      The serviceman gave me a big job of a flushable liquid product to use. He says it is "natural" for the bacteria to do it's job. I will use it. Today was a close call.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. That's a harrowing situation, Ron, but I'm glad it worked out all right and didn't cost much.
    Since I now have a septic tank (for the first time in my life) I'm terrified that something will go wrong. It's only twelve years old but I'm still EXTREMELY worried.
    Question: do you use anything in your tank, like Rid-X? I use a cheaper brand, but I should probably upgrade. I know absolutely nothing about it - - I'm a septic tank virgin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I was so lucky that Bill noticed the sogginess around the lid of the septic tank. I dodged a bullet on this one (failed septic system). I don't know anything about Rid-X but read the comment above from Geo. He uses it and says it works for him. The serviceman today sold me a big jug of liquid ($75.00) to use to get the bacteria to do it's job. You should check your septic tank though. There are different septic systems. The one I had in Pennsylvania I never emptied until we moved. It lasted twenty-five years. This one lasted only about five years before I had to get it emptied. I will get it emptied every three years were the advice of the serviceman. Good luck!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Strange that those wipes don't have a warning about not using them in septic systems. They probably should. We had an even worse set-up in this house when we bought it. A holding tank. No septic system, just a tank that held what came out of the toilet. But we didn't know. We were told it was a septic system. Well, it got full and just about overflowed before we realized it and had it emptied. Then, every couple of months, we had to call the "honey truck" back for another empty. What a lousy job that must be. In 2006 our neighborhood got a sewer line installed and we were the first house to get hooked up. No more tank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      A "holding tank"? Wow. You're right, that's not a septic system. Growing up, my relatives out in the country, who we used to visit, all had outhouses. We were lucky because we lived "in town" (an cockroach infested apartment at $22.00 a month). We had a sewer line. However, when we visited relatives and stayed overnight or for a week or two in the summertime, I was always fascinated by the outhouses. Just a very small building covering two wooden benches with holes.Down "below" was all dark and mysterious.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Reminds me why I like living in the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Ah yes, living in the city does has its benefits. And this one is a biggie. I think eventually we'll get a sewer line. That will cost of (of course).
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hi Ron,
    We had our septic tank emergency in the spring. When the toilet starts not going down ,we know there's something wrong. But we had it pumped last year to the tune of $400 , so we didnt think it was full. What happened was the pipe that filtered the stuff had broken so everything was building up. ( sorry, I'm not sure what the pipe was.) anyway, another pump and replacement of this pipe. $1000! Geez.. What else.???
    Oh, we needed a new roof! Yikes.... It's been the year of repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina,
      This year hear has also been one of "stuff breaking down." We had to have our hold HVAC system replaced a few months ago. That cost $10,000. Now this. Thank goodness I caught it in time. Won't happen to me again. I put a reminder in my calendar to have my septic tank emptied every three years. The serviceman also suggested that I clean the filter every six months. Well, I don't know about that. Nasty job that.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi, Ron. Yes, it's me back again after a longish period of other-blogs-neglect - and it seems that you've been up to similar.
    Even though this was hardly a 'welcome back' subject, it's not your fault. Always interesting to know how others live, even on unsalubrious subjects.
    I'll try to keep up with you again from now on - though I believe that's been said before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray,
      I was just thinking about you today. Really! I thought your computer broke down. I would spend more time on my blog and checking other blogs but I'm having too much fun playing online Scrabble. I find it very relaxing. Did you get your new computer yet?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Any possibility of a new computer is well below the horizon, Ron - and will remain there until I win the National Lottery. :-(

      Delete
  7. Lucky you could get service that fast. I have ours pumped every three years and pull the filter and hose it off every year. No problems so far. Knock wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      Yes, I was lucky to get service that fast. The serviceman suggested that "if you're bored, you could take out your filter every six months and clean it off." That's a nasty job but probably worth doing to avoid future problems.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Kleenex has a product that will solve your issue . It is stronger then regular Kleenex and the box is designed so it sits perfectly upside down on the towel rack near the toilet. (Soft and Comfortable)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks to Youtube announcements I 'see' your entries a bit before I read the details. I hope all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Randy in NEB1:58 AM

    Hi Ron, My Folks had a septic system when we lived in the country, 50 years ago. I remember the cesspool being pump and new drainage pit installed. Had to been done when I was nine or ten. Was all much fun for a kid but not if your the adult paying for it. I bet it was something like 350-400 dollars to have done back in 1970. Now happy to pay for city sewer and water! Knock on wood you got a two-fer with your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:24 PM

    Hi, Ron. A while back I read a book of lists of "Things (insert profession, company, etc. here) Don't Want You to Know", and the plumber one mentioned that so-called "flushable" wipes are big money makers for them. Basically, the only thing that should go in your toilet is human waste and toilet paper. We use wipes in our household, but we throw them in the bathroom trash can (which has a cover, and is emptied daily). ~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Good advice! This is what I will do from hereon out.
      Ron

      Delete