Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Christmas Tree 2023


For the first time since we moved to Delaware in 2006, we're having a Christmas tree in our house.

When Bill and I first got together at Christmas 1964, we did the Christmas Tree Thing up big. Bill even created a circuit board (Bill was an electrician in his previous life) that changed the color of the lights.

Christmas 1966 Pennsauken New Jersey (Polaroid photo)



For the next several years we continued having a traditional, fully decorated Christmas tree in our next  four places that we lived. 

I'm not sure when we fell away from putting up a Christmas tree in our home. Maybe about twenty years ago we figured the effort just wasn't worth all the trouble of putting a Christmas tree up then taking it down after Christmas.  Not that we were "Bah humbug!" for Christmas, both of us like the Christmas season, but for two old single men? Let the kids have Christmas.  

For the past several years I started thinking "Christmas tree" again, but quickly dissuaded myself of all that effort of getting out all my Christmas decorations. Then I saw Pat's aluminum Christmas tree that he puts up for himself. I thought it was cute. 
I began rethinking having a Christmas tree.

Then last week, while I was in our local Ace Hardware I noticed they had one of those cute aluminum Christmas trees on displace brightly blinking its LED colorful lights. "Hmmmm", I thought. "Maybe."

I didn't want to make an impetuous decision and buy it right away. I would "think" on it. Well, the "thinking" was done and yesterday I decided to buy it. 

I wanted to buy the sample tree that they had on display. I didn't want to buy one of those artificial trees that I had to assemble and disassemble each year. My late friends Bob and Jim had one of those trees. It was beautiful when it was finally put up but it did take a lot of effort to assemble the tree. In Bob's later years he often got the branches mixed up. He had longer branches toward the top and shorter ones on the bottom. He didn't bother changing them. Their Christmas tree began to reflect Bob and Jim's deteriorating health. I didn't want to go down that route. This floor display Christmas aluminum tree I was considering buying at Ace Hardware would not have to be put together and taken apart. That was the deciding factor for me. 

I brought my $20 Ace Hardware coupon with me and bought that $69.00 aluminum Christmas tree. 

Yesterday I found the perfect location for this new addition to our home. I spend a lot of my time in our kitchen, behind the counter. Bill spends most of his day in our sunroom. We have an open floor plan. Thus we can enjoy our Christmas tree to the fullest extent. 

I placed the our new Christmas tree on that little glass topped deck table that occupied that corner of our living room. Viola! Perfect! In fact it was so good that I told Bill to get in the car and we were going to the Kitchen Ware store in Rehoboth Beach. I was going to buy more Christmasy things to compliment our new addition to our living space. 

The video you see at the beginning of this blog is the result of those new additions. I have more to go and will update in future blog postings.

This year will probably be our last Christmas together. Bill is gradually getting weaker (his VA nurse is coming in again next week to check on him and give him his annual flu shot). Bill doesn't think he will be here next year. He is tired and wants to go. My goal is to make his final days as comfortable and happy for him as possible. This new Christmas tree is making him very happy. He loves the colors and brightness. 


17 comments:

ItsyBitsy Living said...

Lovely tree ....

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty tree! Makes me want one. Did you get the display one? If not, did you have to assemble the one you got? The rest of the things you’ve got up look nice too. I look forward to seeing what else you put up.
Jim

Woody in Ohio said...

How fantastic is that! I can only imagine the smile and reactions from Bill. You are a good man, Ron Tipton. Be safe, be very, very careful, and be ever so happy. So says Woody in Ohio

wcs said...

Bright and beautiful! Happy holidays! :)

Ron said...

ItsyBitsy Livling,
I LOVW this tree! And so easy to setup and take down. I'm thinking of getting another one and putting it outside to share with the neighborhood.
Ron

Ron said...

Woody,
Bill loves the colors of Christmas. We stopped exchanging gifts years ago but we both still like the Christmas season. Every evening when I turn on the light to our Christmas tree Bill looks at it and smiles. He can see the colors even with his macular degeneration blindness. I love the colors too!
Ron

Ron said...

Jim,
I got the display tree. That was one of the big factors. I hate assembling these artificial trees then having to unassembled them. This one I don't have to do any of that. Just find a space for it to store when the Christmas season is over.
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Walt! Happy holidays to you too!
Ron

anonymous said...

Your tree and decorations are so festive, Ron! Glad you were able to get the display tree. Our tree stays assembled and put in the garage until Christmas...lights stay on. We decorate when it's set up. Easy breezy. It's only 4ft. I like the lights strung over the fireplace. Do you use your fireplace much in the winter? Is it woodburning or gas? Happy holidays and enjoy those delightful decorations!
Paranormal John

VRCooper said...

Hello Ron,

Things look festive. I have always enjoyed Christmas. I don't care for the commercialism of it all BUT love a fabulously decorated Christmas tree, a well-designed light display, well-thought-out wreaths, stockings, and baked goods... most of all the joy in a child's eyes knowing that Saint Nick will soon be here. The colors of Christmas!!

I have enough decorations in my storage closet to fancy up an, at least, 7 foot Christmas tree. And I have always loved Christmas "table-toppers." You know the Christmas stuff you place around the house on tables/counters...

What are your favorite Christmas treats: Pecan pie, Egg Nog, Fruit Cake, Milk Chocolate or nuts and chews, old-fashioned Christmas candy...??

Have a great rest of the week!!

Best of health,

Victor

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
I don't use our fireplace. It is a gas burning fireplace turned on by a switch on the wall. The fireplace works great but if I use it, my thermostat is thrown off for the rest of the house. Bill's bedroom downstairs would have no heat. We found that out the hard way several years ago when I used the fireplace. I'll probably use the fireplace in the future if I'm living alone or living with Pat. He likes a roaring fireplace too. Thanks for your generous comments about my festive Christmas decorations. I plan to add more. And I do like not having to take apart the tree!
Ron

Ron said...

Victor,
Like you I enjoy most of the aspects of the Christmas season except for the commercialism and some of the Christmas commercials that run incessantly on TV (I hate the "Patridge in a Pear Tree" Song).
I too like the baked goods of Christmas except perhaps for the fruitcake. Little to heavy for me. Egg nog definitely which I make daily for Bill for his nutrition. I always take a sip. Not too much though because it is very rich. No need to add any more inches to my waist. Also like you, I love Christmas table toppers. I'm working on auditing more to my impromptu Christmas tree area decorations
Ron

Jeffrey said...

Great post and I'm glad to see you bought the tree. We are putting ours up tonight. We started putting them (yes, multiple) up earlier during COVID and have stuck with it. I am a caregiver for my dad. He has dementia and is now entirely bedbound. He rarely speaks or opens his eyes and is on hospice. He is in an assisted living facility but we are searching for a more skilled nursing facility. One of my brothers or I go everyday to feed him and do his laundry. I was thinking about getting a small tree to put in his apartment. One like yours might just do the trick. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to you and Bill.

Jeffrey

Ron said...

Jeffrey,
Guess what? I liked this tree so much I ordered another one. This one I will put in the second floor window of our home for the whole neighborhood to see.
I think it is a good idea to get your father a small Christmas tree. I know since I put this tree up, I often find Bill looking at it. Of course with his macular degeneration he can't make out the details but he does see the bright colors which make him happy. The colors, especially now with the fall seasonal colors, brings him happiness during our daily rides. I feel so fortunate that Bill doesn't have dementia and is not totally bed bound. And he can go to the bathroom by himself. I do have to wash and dress him and prepare his food and give him his medication. He can only eat liquid meals now through a straw. We are so fortunate. But he is gradually getting weaker, I can see that year by year.
If I don't hear from you again, have a wonderful holiday season.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Oh that tree is so pretty! The size is perfect too. What a nice way to bring in the cheer of the season. Newish reader Olivia.

Ron said...

Olivia,
Thank you very much for your generous and welcoming comments. Have a great day!
Ron

Ur-spo said...

Good for you!
You are a thoughtful fellow for making Bill's holiday a bright one.

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...