![]() |
| Bill's VA occupational therapist checking out Bill's bathroom safeguards |
Yesterday we had the third visit from a representative of the Veterans Administration Home Healthcare program. This person was the Occupational Therapist. She gave us some very useful information about keeping Bill mobil and keeping me from further straining my back.
She was here about an hour and a half checking on our facilities (grab bars, smoke detectors, fire extinguisher, exercise routine, etc). A very thorough evaluation of our home environment and helpful hints to make it safer for both me and Bill.
On Monday Bill's home healthcare nurse spent the morning with us. Again, a very thorough evaluation of our history and what they can do for us to make our living situation here at home better.
A few things I was very happy to learn is that the VA will supply Bill with his Ensure protein drinks. Previously I've been buying those expensive drink supplements at our local Walgreens. Also they will supply us with eye drops and something really important to me, up to thirty days respite care for me annually. Oh how I would love to take advantage of that but Bill won't hear of it. Even though I can't take advantage of that respite break from my caregiving for Bill at this time, perhaps in the future. It's good to know that it is there for me to use.
The most important thing about this VA Home Healthcare program is that it takes a lot of worry and pressure off of me should Bill's health deteriorate. Before with the hospice program, although they were very good, I still had a number of hoops to jump through. He had to be approved to be on the program and then when he didn't die, I felt guilty for being on the program and the monthly cost to the Federal government. With VA Home Healthcare, I have a partner on call. Partners on call.
What I really find interesting about the VA Home Healthcare program is that I didn't even know it existed. I only found out about it the last time I took Bill to the local VA Outpatient Clinic to visit a VA doctor and she informed us that she was placing Bill on their home healthcare program.
The VA has gotten a bad rap over the years for their sometimes neglectful care of their veterans but I have to tell you, the VA has been wonderful with us. Even though I have Medicare both Part A and B I continue to get my main doctor healthcare through the VA. I've been doing this for thirty years now, ever since I lost my heath care in 1994. Bill has always received all his health care through the VA.
The VA has literally saved both of our lives several times over when we both needed surgeries. For many years when I worked at a bank I had fabulous healthcare insurance but I never used it. Then when I lost my job at the bank is (of course) when I needed surgery. The VA took care of me and I never saw one bill. Bill has had the same experience with the VA. One of Bill's emergency surgeries happened when I was house sitting here in southern Delaware in January 2005. Bill's gall bladder burst. I was stuck down here in Delaware by a snow storm. The local VA in Pennsylvania picked up Bill and DROVE him to Philadelphia for emergency surgery. Bill was in the ICU for over a week recovering from his surgery. The only problem I had was calling him on the phone. His Filipina nurse would not put me though because I "wasn't a relative." I managed to work around that obstacle through a friend who works in the medical field who called her and told her to put me through. She did. These days there is no problem with me and Bill's relationship. One time though the nurse thought Bill was my father. I had to correct her (she was embarrassed) and tell her Bill was my husband.
Thank goodness life has settled down here at Casa Tipton Kelly.
There were no trick or treaters last night, which is fine with me. Now to get through "the holidays."

7 comments:
I’m amazed to hear about the good care you and Bill are getting from the VA. I’m a veteran, four years in the Navy during the early Vietnam period, but so far I’ve not gotten anything from the VA. I tried one time but apparently had too much income to qualify. I’ve really not needed it, I am on Medicare and have Humana Medicare Advantage Plan insurance paid from part of my Social Security payments. Maybe if something happens the VA will help me if I need it but I’ve seen no sign of it so far. I’m glad they are taking care of your needs.
Jim
I am surprised that with all your interactions with the VA, no one has mentioned Vetern's Administration Home HealthCare Program. Glad that you and Bill are taking advantage of it. That's what it's there for. I have been preaching respite care for you even if it is just for a few hours. It makes all the difference. I volunteered with Compassion Care and did home visits for a few hours for folks who had their loved ones in hospice care. Gave them a chance for fresh air, a break, a change of scenery... Maybe you can sweet-talk Bill into it. You can get your hair and nails done. Better yet, a good massage. A proper one. No sweet endings.
Well, have a great rest of the week. Next Thursday is coming soon.
I am so glad that the VA Home Health Care Program is coming through for you. It is just about the best news I have had in weeks. I would imagine that Bill is pleased. This should also be providing him with something else to think about during his hours awake. You should be relieved knowing that Bill is being taken care of as well as YOU. I think once you both get used to and comfortable with the program you might just might make use of the respite care. If only for an hour or two of "in home" purely quiet "chill out" time once or twice a week. It could work. That is all I am going to say on the issue. However, I did some volunteer work like Vic did. I found it very rewarding. Hell, half the time the person I was relieving didn't even go anywhere. It almost always turned into "nibble and chat". One old couple called it story telling time. Haha. One wife went once a week to have her hair done. Left at 10 came home at 5. Most of the time she had her hair done, luncheon with the girls and then bridge. It was what she had done for years before he became unwell. She was happy and so was he. But, that was then and this is now. Times change as do circumstances. And to Jim I say you need to call the VA and get the information you need. Shy? Go visit the local veterans hall/club. Those good old boys will be glad to tell you where to go and who to see. Here in our community I know of several guys who had counselors come to the home and explain the benefits program to them and their wives. I understand a lot has changed in the VA Administration and mostly for the good. Home you have a nice rest of the week. Ron and Bill and all the peeps out there in BloggerLand Please Be safe, Be very, very careful, and Be happy. And another simple reminder as I sign off, ask for help if you need it. Help is all around you. Last Thursday I hit auto dial for 9-1-1 and just said help. I died that afternoon but the young man trainee knew what to do and he "shot me through the heart" and saved my life. It was so surreal but I am still here typing on this keyboard because I asked for help. So says Woody in Ohio
Jim,
For many years I did not need VA care because I had such good health insurance coverage at the bank where I worked. Just by accident I found out in the early nineties that I was eligible for VA care, something that I had forgotten about when I joined the Army in 1960. One of the promises made to me at the time I signed up was "free medical care if you ever needed it." The VA used to advertise this medical coverage for veterans until the Republican Bush administration came in and then instructed the VA to STOP ADVERTISING MEDICAL CARE FOR ELIGIBLE VETERANS. The Republicans are doing their thing, lower taxes for the rich and their relentless goals to reduce and eliminate the social safety net for low income earners like me and Bill. I never had a salary for than $38,750 in my whole life. All of my friends had long since surpassed the $80,000 mark including even Pat in Canada. My one longtime friend who also worked at a bank even surpassed $100,000. Not me for a variety of reasons probably because I just wasn't that smart or in the right place at the right time. Of course I was always openly gay and that probably contributed to me not being elevated to a higher position like AVP. Eventually I lost TWO jobs at two different banks because I was openly gay. Not that I ever did anything wrong, but just not hiding the fact that I was gay. I sued both times and I lost. So much for movie story happy endings, This is real life. Bill took early retirement at fifty-five years of age. I was the sole earner in our family for the next seven years. In which time I had lost my job at the bank. I managed to survive working as a consultant and then collecting Social Seurity early. Bill and I together more than qualify for VA benefits but I do have my own insurance including Medicare Part B. It's expensive but my health care plan covers everything. No co-pays for seeking approval to see different doctors. I'm happy for guys like you who had a good paying job during your working years and life a comfortable retirement. For us, if we didn't have the VA in our lives we would be in a world of hurt. I am thankful.
Ron
Vic
I heard about the VA Home Healthcare program but thought it was for extreme cases. I'm still able to take care of Bill here at home by myself. The VA is the one who put us (they didn't ask) on the VA Home Healthcare program during Bill's last visit. I thought they did it in deference to Bill's age and how difficult it was for him to physically go to the local VA OUtpatient Clinic. I had no idea the home healthcare program was so thorough. But now that I know I feel so relieved that I have the help they're giving us now and more if needed in the future. Tomorrow with have a visit from the VA social worker. Next Monday we have a visit from the VA dietician. So far we've also had a visit from the administrator, nurse practitioner and occupational therapist. I am so appreciative of all this help. This helps enables us to stay in our home. Neither Bill or I will ever go anywhere else. Home it is. And the VA makes that possible.
Ron
Woody,
I am so glad you're still here! That young man saved your life after you dialed 9-1-1. I've lost so many friends over the last ten years. I don't want to lose you.
Ron
I am glad the VA works for you. I seldom if ever hear of any good from the VA system.
Of course I am biased I see the patients disgruntled with the VA, not the ones happy
Post a Comment