Thursday, November 09, 2023

Birthday Boy Here

 

Ron the Octogenarian

Today I begin my 83rd year on this planet. 

Who would have ever thought I would reach the grand old age of 82 years old? 

I am an octogenarian.  That means I'm between 80 and 89 years of age. 

So how do I feel about being an OLD MAN? Not any different from when I was 81 years old. A LOT different when I was 22 years old. 

For one thing my whole body didn't ache when I was 22y years old. 

I had loads of energy. Almost inexhaustible energy!

I could walk for miles and not feel a thing except exhilarated. Now I can hardly walk. I don't have the energy. 

If you would have asked me when I was 22 years old  I would have told you with complete confidence that I wouldn't live past 60 years old. 

A much younger me from 1969 at a bowling banquet. I'm the one in the blue seersucker suit on the far right. The woman with the cigarette was a co-worker of mine. This is one of the few photos of me that wasn't posed. These are the best photos of anyone, the spontaneous unposed photos. Unfortunately, I don't have too many of them. In my mind this is the way I think I look. Then I look in the mirror now and I am always shocked. What happened to me?  Oh well, I feel very lucky to have made it this far. Now to see what I look like when I'm 90!

Oh for sure, I've had a couple of close calls. At seventeen I developed an infection from surgery which they (the doctors) didn't expect me to survive. In and out of the hospital for six months in the summer of 1959, I fooled them all and survived. 

Over the years I've been in a couple auto accidents but survived uninjured. 

In 1980 I almost lost my life when someone tried to strangle me. That was one time I thought I was checking out for sure. But I survived, barely.

Then there was the time I had a gun pulled on me by two muggers on 22nd Street in Philadelphia one Saturday night in the late 1970's when I was headed out to the local bar for a night of adventure. They demanded my money or they were going "to take my life." No way was I going to give them money (I only had three one dollar bills in my back rear pocket anyway). We had a standoff for a few seconds while they demanded my "money or your life." I figured if they were going to shoot me they would have to do it with witnesses so I ran away from them into the traffic on 22nd Street. They didn't shoot. I survived again.

I can related more such instances but you get the idea. I have been spared from an early departure from this life for several reasons, I think. Yes, I do think your lives are preordained. 

My purpose now it to take care of Bill until he makes his peaceful transition from this life to wherever one goes when one dies. 

Then my purpose to live out my days with Pat. We take care of one another. Without Pat I have no one and he is in the same situation. We were meant for each other. That's why I think we met ten years ago. Our journey was preordained, of that I am convinced.

Life goes on. I have a few more adventures left in this wonderful life I've been so fortunate to have lived.

 

20 comments:

Raybeard said...

Very best wishes to you, Ron. You soundly beat me to 80, but can I overtake you to be a nonagenarian first? Who can say? :-) Have a lovely day, or lovely tomorrow, or lovely whenever/if you're going to celebrate.

Jon said...

Have a joyous birthday, Ron, filled with treasured memories and blessings. You don't look your age and you certainly don't act it. Our bodies deteriorate as we grow older but our minds can stay sharp.

The other day when I went for my doctor appointment in Cookeville I met a 94 year old man who lives alone on 24 rural acres here in TN. He was truly an inspiration. You are an inspiration, too, Ron and I'm greatful for your friendship.

My very best wishes to you on this special day and I hope you have many more golden years. Jon

Woody in Ohio said...

Wishing you all the best on this your 82 birthday.

Life is certainly an adventure and full of surprises. As a Cincinnati Ohio native, Doris Day, sang so well "Whatever will be will be. The future is not our's to see". I personally tell my doctors and friends that I have a reason to wake up each day. Which Ron my compadre you do everyday. I endure everything that comes at me. But the day I find no reason to wake I will release myself into the supposed peace and serenity of the unknown.

It is another beautiful November Autumn day. I hope the weather has been the same in Delaware. It feels so good to turn my face into the sun and feel the warmth.

All the best my compadre...ALL THE BEST!

Be safe. Be very, very careful. Be happy. So says Woody in Ohio (as he crunches away on an apple. Haha)

VRCooper said...

Happy Birthday, Ron!! Happy Birthday # 83!!

I was waiting for you to post.

I'll keep saying it we need a book before you are 6 feet under. There is gold in that life of yours. Hell, I want to know more about the attempted strangulation. You look great in that blue seersucker suit. I was 12 years old when that picture was taken.

Like you, I sometimes wonder where time has gone. I can still get around with no issues at 66. I knock on wood that I don't have any health issues or take medication. I still go to the gym 3 times a week for weights and 3x a week for running on the treadmill. I just came back from the gym. I do a tad over 4 miles at each visit. Just enough to get the heart pumping and a good sweat. I remember I went for a physical about a year ago and the nurse looked at me and asked if I worked out. I said yes Yes, my pulse and BP are a little on the low side. The only thing I noticed in my old age is that I don't have the temperament for bullshit. I have always been that way but now some of the nice varnish has worn thin.

How are the VA visits going? Is Bill ok with things?

Well, I think today is a day for a nice piece of GOOD cake and quality ice cream.

Once again Happy Birthday Ron!!

XOXO
Victor

Anonymous said...

To dearest Ron
I hope you have a wonderful day and send you many blessings for your birthday. Although I am younger than you, I too wonder where time has gone. The saying that youth is wasted on the young is definitely true. Oh if only we could have the wisdom of old age inside our 21 year old bodies!
Sorry for not wishing Bill a happy birthday back in September. I was away and had no internet. Tell him that I am still thinking of you both and to keep his chin up.
Keep pushing forward Ron despite life's challenges. And not to be morbid or anything but before we were born into this life, we never missed or remembered anything and it will be the same after we have finished this journey. This is why I don't ever worry about what will happen.
I am sending you and Bill a lot of love from overseas and I will of course keep continuing to read about your interesting lives.
Take care of yourself my friend and keep smiling.
Be happy

Love from Jacinta

Ron said...

Jacinta,
So nice to hear from you! Thank you so much for your kind words. You are so right, "if only we could have the wisdom of old age inside our 21 year old bodies." Oh the mistake I could have avoided. But life is a learning experience isn't it? And we are constantly learning, even up to our date of death. You are also right that before we're born we know nothing and the same is after we pass on, or "finished this journey." I tell Bill this often. Dying is like undergoing anesthesia. You don't even know when you lose consciousness. I prefer not to die anytime soon but I do not fear death. I'm a little concerned about reincarnation. About who or what I come back as. A mosquito?
Thanks again for you loving wishes. The best to you always.
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
Thank you for your birthday wishes. I told Bill the story of the 94 year old man you met who lives alone on 24 acres. He was impressed. I would prefer to have a few more years left on this earth but if it is not to be, I do not fear death. I remember what a friend of mine said who was near death. He told me he didn't fear death either, he said "I'm curious as to what is on the other side." I wonder if he found out. We all will, that is certain.
Have a great day Jon. You'll be home soon.!
Ron

Ron said...

Woody,
Thank you so much for your birthday wishes. We too have another beautiful autumn day here in southern Delaware. One of the things interesting about old age, I treasure each day. When we're young, we take so much for granted and want the days to go by fast. Not now. I find myself often thinking about all the vignettes of my previous 82 years on this planet. Quite a journey for sure!
Have a great day!
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Today I treated myself to an orange scone from Panera. Last year I passed up that freebie that Panera offers annually on my birthday. I also got their autumn squash soup. A nice quiet celebration of my birthday. Just perfect.
So you notice one of the things you noticed about your old age is your change in temperament towards BS. Same here! I just don't have the veneer for putting up with the BS. I still try to be respectful of people but if it's in my face, I tell them.
The vA visits went well! They won't come here that often, all those visits were initial visits. The VA Homehealth Care program is there for me to use if and when I need more help. The biggest advantage is that I don't have to go through the telephone system of leaving message at the VA. Now I have a dedicated team and they will answer the phone. No more leaving messages or communicating with the VA e-mail system, although I can still use that system. Also I don't have to take Bill to the local VA outpatient clinic. I feel so much more comfortable now with their help.
Thanks again for your birthday wishes.
Have a great day Vic and keep pumping iron at the gym.
Ron

Ivy Green said...

You make Octo look good! Happy Birthday, Ron.

Ron said...

Thank you Ivy! I needed that. I still can't believe I'm this old. Ancient.
Have a great day!
Ron

VRCooper said...

PS-Ron did you receive a delivery---

anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ron! Best Wishes. I celebrated mine Nov. 5th. As they say, the days are long, and the years are short. Make every day count.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Vic,
Yes, I did receive a delivery for chocolates. Was that you?
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
Happy birthday to you John! Another Scorpio. I knew there was something special about you (smile).
Ron

VRCooper said...

Ron---That would be me---My name should have been on there somewhere with a greeting---Hope you enjoy them----Have a great weekend---

wcs said...

Best of birthdays to you, Ron! :)

Ron said...

Vic,
Thank you very much. Your name wasn't anywhere on the package or cared. It did say "Happy birthday oldman". That's all it said. That would be me, "Old Man."
Ron

Ron said...

Walt
Good to hear from you! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I hope all is well with you.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

may these next twelve months be marvelous for you! oxox

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...