Monday, February 05, 2018

Eagles Win The Super Bowl!


What a game! 

Nerve wracking!

Final score:

Philadelphia Eagles:      41
New England Patriots:   33

The Philadelphia Eagles football team won their first Super Bowl.




Folks, I was living and working in Philly when Philadelphia won their first major sports trophy, the Stanley Cup for hockey in 1973.  I was working at Girard Bank with was located right next to City Hall. Perfect location to celebrate. Over a million Philadelphians spilled out in the streets to congratulate the Broad Street Bullies, aka Philadelphia Flyers.




The next major sports win was the 1980 World Series. I was in my fourth floor apartment at 2124 Spruce Street, center city when Tug McGraw struck out Willie Wilson of the Kansas City Athletics. I could feel the city erupt after that final whiff.




Now for this Philadelphia center city celebration when the Eagles return to their home city from their outstanding victory in Minneapolis.  I have to tell you folks, I'm glad I'm not living in center city Philly now because for me, and my aged arthritic body this celebration would be too much.




But I will also tell you, this win means so much for Philly. For so many years Philly has always been treated like the red-headed country cousin of major American cities, not even good enough to be included in the general weather reports on national TV when reporting weather across the United States. They always would say Boston and Baltimore but never Philadelphia, which always annoyed me.







I watched the whole game yesterday on my TV. First time in years that I watched a football game beginning to end on my TV. I have to tell you folks, at times it was very nerve wracking and I was tempted to turn it off. New England Patriots Golden Boy Tom Brady was throwing long bombs. His team was barreling down the field to touchdown after touchdown. But the Eagles won out in the end after a couple of gutsy calls. 

Enjoy your day in the sun Philadelphia, You deserve it.


No comments:

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...