Saturday, May 01, 2010

That Was The Week That Was


Remember that old TV show with David Frost, "That Was The Week That Was?"  That was my week last week.

I'm back home in Delaware from a both emotionally and physically draining week at my Mom's former home in Pennsylvania.

I left Delaware for my Mom's home in Pennsylvania on Wednesday, April 21st.

My brother Isaac, who now lives alone at our former family home, was leaving to visit our Mom who now lives with my other brother John and his wife Barbara in Greenville, South Carolina.  Isaac would be making the road trip with his son, Isaac, III.


While Isaac was gone, I would cat sit Molly, Mom's 16 year old, calico cat.  Molly used to be Mom's BF but since Mom has been gone Molly is now Isaac's BF.  Cats are that way; undying loyalty is a dog thing.


Also while Isaac was gone the plan was for me to clean out the "back bedroom" where my Mom stored her "things." To be more accurate, this was her main Hoarding Room.  Brother John was up earlier in the month.  He and Isaac cleaned out her bedroom and Pop's old bedroom.  They were on a roll but that roll stopped when they open the door to the Back Bedroom.  John took one look and closed the door and said "We'll let Ronnie take care of this."  Thanks John.  You always were so thoughtful.

So that's what I did the next day after Isaac and his son left in the early morning darkness for South Carolina.  I ventured into the Back Room.

It took me three days just to clear out enough of Mom's "things" to even see the green rug on the floor of the Back Room.

My sorting fell into three basic categories:

Trash
Goodwill
Keep

Sounds simple doesn't it?  Uh huh.  I had to go through EVERYTHING.  I literally had to sort through everything because I never knew what "treasures" I would find among the trash.  For instance, I found Mom's whole collection of those little funeral notices that you collect at the viewing of the deceased.  These were in among the paid receipts of medical bills, old Christmas cards and old newspaper clippings that my Mom collected of how the world was going to Hell in a hand basket if the Democrats remained in power, and old buttons (Mom liked to sew.)

I don't want to make this a mind numbing blog about cleaning out a lifetime of my Mom's 86 years on  this earth but this was a very emotionally and physically draining experience for me.

This blog will have to be continued.  I had a full blog posting earlier but I'm still learning how to use my new iMac and I lost half of my blog.  I am still drained by my experience last week in Pennsylvania so I will end this blog posting now with the caveat that I will pick up this thread tomorrow (hopefully.)

Right now it looks like a good time for a walk.  I'm still in a recovery mode from my experience last week and I have to get myself back on track.  See that neat room with the green rug above?  That took a lot out of me.

I remember something my Mother once told me when she realized she was old.  She was weeding six rows of corn after a full day of work at Pepperridge Farm and she realized that she was tired.  That's the way I feel now, tired.  I may have reached that milestone.  I am now officially old.

4 comments:

  1. Good job done! I've got that to do with my 30x40 storage locker.....

    I think I'll tackle that this winter when it's cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Diane. Cleaning out years of accumulated "stuff" is a big job. I wish you the best in cleaning out your storage locker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that photo of Isaac and his son, I can really see the family resemblance with your brother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    You think that my brother Isaac and I look alike? Interesting. Actually, the older I get the more I look like my father.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete