Saturday, May 15, 2010

Family Reunion

Me pulling out of my garage to put the final touches on the family reunion arrangements

After much planning and coordinating zero hour of the Tipton Family Reunion is finally here.




I left my home in Delaware and arrived late this morning at my brother Isaac’s home outside of Downingtown, PA.
Me leaving home at 8 am this morning



We took an early lunch at Pizzeria Uno in Lionville. Deep dish pepperoni pizza for Ike and an eggplant, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese pizza for me. Isaac rated his pizza a 6 but I rated mine an 8.

Brother Isaac's deep dish pepperoni pizza (6)

Brother Ronald's eggplant, sun dried tomato and feta cheese pizza (8)


Then it was off to the East Brandywine Community Park to clean up the pavilion to get it ready for the first Tipton family reunion since 1997. I can’t believe that thirteen years have passed since the last reunion, which was held at the same location.
The Alison Pavilion where our reunion will be held



Ike and I had to rearrange the heavy picnic tables, not an easy task for a 68 and 67 year old men. If he have another reunion in 13 years I don’t think we’ll be rearranging the tables again. We will have to call on some of the younger generation of Tiptons to help with that task That is if we’re still around.



A few days ago I was looking at a DVD I had made of the VCR tape that I had taken of the last reunion and I was surprised at how many of my relatives have passed on since that October 4, 1997 date. This fact is a reminder to me to have more frequent reunions in the future. I can’t let 13 years pass between reunions again.



After rearranging the tables we had to clean the floor of the pavilion. It was gritty with gravel and dirt. Ike had a good idea to use a leaf blower. That is what he is doing in the picture posted on this blog.

Brother Isaac using the leaf blower to clear out the dirt on the floor of the pavilion


I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to display the Tipton Family Reunion banner that cousin John Tipton made for the last reunion. However, my fears were soon put to rest because Isaac and I found that we could tie the banner to the bulletin board at the entrance to the pavilion.



All that remained was to find tablecloth clamps for the vinyl tablecloths. The pavilion is very windy and the multicolored table cloths I purchased at Walmart would quicky blow away in the green grassy knolls surrounding the pavilion. Off we went to Lowe’s for tablecloth clamps. Of such minutia we were now charged with. After about two hours we found some tablecloth weights at a Christmas store. The darn things cost more than the tablecloths. Oh well.



Now it was back to home base and rack my brain for anything I may have forgotten.



Thank goodness the weather forecast tomorrow at 71 degrees and low humidity is almost perfect. I’m not bragging (would I do that) but I did guarantee perfect weather.



Now to get a good night’s sleep so I can be all fresh and sparkly for tomorrow’s reunion. Lots of stress here but it’s worth it. You only get one family. I am very thankful that we will able to see each other tomorrow and renew old friendships and meet new cousins.
The way I feel now

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Hi Ron,

    I just had a chance to catch up on your blog & am so happy you are having beautiful weather today for your reunion. I'm sure you will have a lot to tell us when you regroup.

    I'm looking forward to hearing how it went and to the pictures you will post.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran,
    The weather was perfect. The reunion was fabulously successful. Lots of smiles and happiness.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete