Wednesday, January 28, 2026

Cold, Cold, Cold

 

View out of my front door yesterday, January 27, 2026

This is a view of the cul de sac from my front door.

Fortunately we here in southern coastal Delaware didn't receive a lot of snow (about three inches) but we did receive and continue to have a lot of cold.

The temperature right now as I type this blog posting is nineteen degrees. While not as cold as Alaska, Minnesota or even Quebec Canada (where Pat was working at his Go Valet job today), nineteen degrees is cold for us Delawareans. 

This cold is expected to continue for the next seven days with another winter storm watch this weekend.

I have enough food to last me a month, thanks to my unfortunate lifelong habit of over shopping and two refrigerators and one freezer chest for storage. However, I am getting cabin fever. Just another reason why I'll never put myself into an assisted living facility. 

I feel like I am in a prison now. 

I feel like I am being smothered. 

January and February of each year for me are always the worst months of the year. To me these months are the "just get through" months.

However, I have much to continue to be thankful for.

I have my independence. I have a comfortable and warm home. I have friends that I can talk to on FaceTime and Zoom. I have my social network on Threads. 

Normally, this time of year I would be getting ready for my annual trip to Palm Springs for Modernism Week. A two week celebration of the glorious days of the Fifties. Oh for those calm filled days. I remember being bored by the Eisenhower Years. Hey, I'll take that boredom of those years over the danger and chaos of the Trump Years now. 

In the future, long after I am gone, school kids will read about these years and wonder "How did they manage to survive?" One day at a time folks, one day at a time.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

gelid indeed! Go to California why dontcha

Ron said...

Oh I a tempted!

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...