Monday, August 28, 2017

Game of Thrones



For several years now I've been hearing a lot about the HBO series "Game of Thrones."  Uh, okay. Is this another overhyped series? 

My default position on much hyped flavors of the day is to not jump on the bandwagon. Thus I haven't watch this very popular series produced by HBO.  

I had the same position when "Breaking Bad" was all the rage.  I held out for a long time until Pat introduced me to one of the episodes. Of course I was hooked after viewing the episode after ten minutes.  



Pat introduced me to "Breaking Bad" when we were staying at the Latham Hotel in Philadelphia during one of our quarterly get togethers. When I got home, I lost no time ordering the series from my Netflix account.  I binged watched that series, sometimes until 2:30 am in the morning. 

Lately I've been hearing and reading even more about "Game of Thrones."  So I gave in and put the first disc, in my Netflix queue.  Last week I watched the first episode.  Folks, I am hooked.  

HOOKED!

Wow.  Those that know me know that I don't like violence in my viewing of popular entertainment.  I don't care for excessive violence or sex.  Hmmm. I cannot deny that "Game of Thrones" has a LOT of violence and sex.  And I mean a LOT.  But having said that, "Game of Thrones" is also very well written, cast, and acted.  This is a damn good show.  

So I endure the violence.  Last night a pissed off knight chopped his horse's head off with one swipe of his massive sword.  

I endure the sex.  Oh man, the sex.  I can't even begin to tell you how many time I've seen flopping breasts, that I've almost become numb.  There's even gay sex. Nothing overt but still. But I guess that's the way life was in the 600's.  Yes, there was a time in our history from the year 100 to 1000 that people lives.  There were good folks and bad folks. Power plays. Life.

To me "Game of Thrones" has a lot in common with "Downton Abbey" or "Looking for Lady Mary's Teapot" as pat refers to that very popular series. Just a little more violent. 




11 comments:

Barb said...

For what it's worth (and I dont know how far in you are), but my sister the reader says that almost none of the violence against wome appear in the books and in the first case I can think of the two are simply besotted with each other (int he books). I watch on and off, because of my violence level and read the highlights in between. But I saw the season finale last night and now I'll probably wait a year orso like everyone esle to see who'se stills standing (or sitting on the throne, in this case).

nitewrit said...

Ron,

I was the same way until Darryl loaned me the first season. Lois also got hooked right away, which was really surprising. I find much of the fun is trying to figure out the complex relationships between the characters.

Lar

Anonymous said...

Spoiler alert. The sex and violence continues. If you liked Breaking Bad, you might like Ozarks.
And for something lighter,as a former dog owner you might like Downward Dog. It's 8 half hour episodes
of fun and lightness. It may still be on ABC on demand or online

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deedles said...

Yep, excessive violence, sex and flopping breasts. That explains my husband's interest it this show. Also, dragons! I tried watching but it ain't my cup of tea at all. I didn't watch Downton Abbey either. I have friends from England whose speech I can't understand. I love Sherlock but I need subtitles. Pathetic, really.

Jane Karwat said...

It is my favourite show. I have also read all the books. Enjoy!

Ron said...

Barbara,
I didn't notice any violence against women except for the one hair pulling episode. Plenty of violence against the men and animals though, more than I care for but I'm willing to endure (or look away) so I can enjoy the story. I was going to say that the violence was a sign of those times but I'm afraid I'm wrong, violence has always been with us, even now.
Ron
Ron

Ron said...

Me too Lar. I love figuring out the characters and the dynamics between them. Even though the time period is probably a thousand years ago, one can relate to today's time.
Ron

Ron said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for the tip!
Ron

Ron said...

Thanks Jane! I will enjoy I'm sure.
Ron

Ron said...

Deedles,
I loved Downton Abbey. My friend Pat said it was too slow for him but I loved it. ll those characters and story lines. I love it!
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...