Tuesday, January 07, 2025

Nine Inches

Nine inches. 

That was the amount of snowfall we received here in Sussex County, Delaware. 

I'll be snowed in for the next few days.

I won't even attempt to shovel myself out. If I did my eighty-three year old heart would probably give up the ranch and one of my neighbors would eventually find my half frozen body in my driveway. I still have that very expensive Palm Springs trip next month that I've already paid the airfare and VRBO rental. Can't let that go to waste. That trip will be my "last hurrah" as a name dropping Older Gay Guy making feeble attempts to impress one and all with my annual holidays in Palm Springs, the Older Gay Man Mecca of the United States. Unfortunately, after this year I can no longer afford to make the trip nor can my body hold up for getting there by flying connecting flights and then once I am in Palm Springs I just can't walk around as much as I used to in my Foolish Youth.

My neighbors returned for a week's stay at DisneyWorld late last night to this maelstrom of snow and icy rain. They had to get out of their driveway because both of them work and their kids have to go to school. Oh I am SO THANKFUL I am not working anymore and worry about how I was going to get to work at the hotel. Those days are in the past. Part of my very interesting memory bank.

If Bill was still here, he would be outside shoveling the snow right now. Oh how Bill loved to shovel the snow. This snow just brings back more memories of Bill. Every day it seems as if something reminds me of Bill. Bless his heart. He was so good to me. I miss him. I miss him. I miss him!


Bill shoveling snow from our driveway back in the day March 3, 2014


So how do I keep myself entertained when I'm snowed in like this? NOT.A.PROBLEM.

This morning I made a cherry pie. I pitted those expensive cherries imported from Chile that I brought a week ago ($4.99 a bag). That takes a while but I don't mind. I love to cook for myself. I'm still taking on the challenge of making that Perfect Pie Crust which I think I have finally mastered by using my food processor. I make a butter pie crust. SO GOOD! I made another apple pie over the week. I kept a couple pieces but froze the rest. Fruit pies freeze very well. I freeze individual portions. Works out well when my sweet tooth hits after my evening dinner. I do what you're not supposed to do, eat a dessert before bedtime.

My homemade lattice apple pie. Watch out Martha Stewart!


I hope this is the last snow of the season for here. This amount of snow is very unusual for Sussex County. I think the last time we had this much snow had to be at least ten years ago. I think snow is pretty but I would prefer to see it somewhere else than here. 


6 comments:

Jim Austin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Austin said...

That sure is a good looking pie!

VRCooper said...

Nine inches---You had me---I didn't know where you were going---That pie is cookbook picture ready---I have been baking a lot lately---Mainly breads and cookies---I like you, freeze things---Over the last 24 hours in Denver we have had 3.85 inches of snow---That is nothing---Talk to me when we are expecting 6 inches or more---The roads are clear---There is a Denver government policy that they will not plow residential streets unless the snow total is 6 inches or more---So that means that they will never plow the roads because we don't often get that much snow at one time---Granted all the major/main/snow route streets are always clear---Yes, we don't need you out there shoveling driveways and sidewalks---I don't know about your area but in Denver, home and property owners will get fined if sidewalks are not cleared of snow so many hours after a snowfall----I do love the snow and don't mind driving in it---I mainly worry about other folks who drive like a bat out of hell and you see them further up in a ditch---That home picture looks cozy---It look AI generated---Well stay warm----

Ron said...

Vic,
That was the intention, at attention grabber blog title. I knew "Nine Inches" would get attention. I would like to say "I hate to brag" but not really here with the pie crust that I have mastered. All my life I've been trying to make really flaky, tasty pie crust. I was determined to master it and I did! In fact I was so pleased with myself that I made another pie yesterday, this time a cherry pie. Same result, perfecto! I made the pie crust with my food processor instead of by hand. Much better and easier. Of course I have to freeze most of the pie. But my pies are way better than any store bought pie which was my intention.
Re the snow, it's still on the ground here and it will be until the temperatures get above freezing which isn't forecast for at least another three days. My satellite dish is suffering because of the snow that is frozen in place on the dish. This is a minor inconvenience though. When I consider the fires in California I am reminded of how lucky I am not to be subject to that horror. We don't have any sidewalks in my development so no policy there to enforce. The picture of the home outside the window of the living room looks almost exactly like my neighbor's home across the street. I do like my neighborhood. Another lucky stroke for me, I live in a very quiet part of my development. Another reason why I am so reluctant to take my Palm Springs trip this year.
Have a great day Vic!
Ron

Ron said...

Jim Austin,
Hi Jim! Are you the "Jim" who has left comments on my blog in the past. If so, nice to hear from you again. Where do you live?
Ron

Jim Austin said...

Yeah, that’s me. I’ve been trying to stay anonymous but I forgot to hit the ‘Anon’ button this time. I tried to delete the first attempt but that didn’t remove my name. I figured the cat was out of the bag so I did the comment again and will give up on trying to hide. I live in the Greenville, SC area.

Yeah, that’s me. I’ve been trying to stay anonymous but I forgot to hit the ‘Anon’ button this time. I tried to delete the first attempt but that didn’t remove my name. I figured the cat was out of the bag so I did the comment again and will give up on trying to hide. I live in the Greenville, SC area.

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...